• 24 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Garrett
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Cleopatra_EM_Schematic.pdf (PDF preview)
#1 11 years ago

I've brought a few old pins back to life but this issue has me perplexed.

As this pin came back to life it worked correctly for 10-20 games. Then it started having an issue latching the game over relay when ball 5/ball 3 drains with 1 player or 4 players selected.

The game starts correctly and plays correctly. The Game Over relays latches with initial power on and never has an issue latching closed.

But when you play a game and ball five drains the O (Ball return) and Q (Game Over) relays pulse as the score motor turns. The relays do not pulse with the B score motor teeth (this reel has the most teeth on it), they chatter faster than that but not at a full 60Hz.

All relays in good condition and replaced as required.

All relays in the cabinet are adjusted correctly and contacts cleaned. The score motor was disassembled and all contacts adjusted and cleaned.

All contacts properly gapped and cleaned for Q (Game Over), O (Ball Return), BX (Last Ball), FS (00-90), Coin Unit including contacts 0 position. The associated Game Over string is found on 14E of the schematics.

The playfield voltage to the pops, kicks and flippers is rectified but the cabinet voltage is not.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Not sure if I have a bad diode somewhere allowing a voltage to bleed through. But if this was the case I would assume other random issues would also occur.

#2 11 years ago

So I would assume you've checked every switch in the 14E string for continuity. But if it only happens in certain situations, one would think it's more specifically related to those particulars. I would still do a really thorough visual inspection of all switch stacks looking for possible shorts like a small screw or blob of solder. It's happened to me. Stumped on a problem and found some physical short, though they can be really hard to spot. Hopefully Team EM will chime in here as well.

#3 11 years ago

Thanks stashyboy, been through every one multiple times.

Will get a chance tomorrow to jumper across relays to see where the issue is.

1 week later
#4 11 years ago

I jumped out the 14E string and did not fix the issue.

This issue slowly got worse over time. Initially the game didn't have this problem. As I got it cleaned up and running it would do this every few games, then every game for a brief second, then longer and longer until it is what you see now. It won't end the game.

Looked at every switch stack in the cabinet and playfield for solder or loose hardware.

Verified FS 00-90 unit is ok, even removed the 00-90 unit completely. This is what's interesting. With the 00-90 unit in and set to credit, the A (aletrnating) relay on the rectified side playfield chatters at the same rate. That's why I pulled the 00-90 unit.

Replaced the rectifier.

Reset the game, scored the first ball and then removed all four jones plugs for all four player score reels.

Pulled the KS assembly out.

Also, when it's trying to end the game I used a screw driver to push in on the Q relay game over switch stack as well as the O relay ball return. They do not self latch when pushing on the switch stack as the voltage appears to drop causing the chatter. All contacts have been verified multiple times.

All jones plugs inspected and no loose solder joints found.

When you put a volt meter on the 25V AC I would assume the voltage would be fairly constant? Is this correct? I have a cheap Craftsman multi-meter and the voltage spikes around as it's chattering.

This one really has me stumped.

#5 11 years ago

Just watched the vid...you've got some pretty big blue-spark situation going on there between what ever that relay is and the stepper unit you showed. Did you check the coils to see if you have a bad or dying out one? Also which you probably already did, on that relay that's 'sparking' make sure all switches are adjusted properly/clean/and in the right slots in the actuator...contacts are present on the switch blades. POWER OFF you can mechanically work it and see if all is correct. My guess is a coil going bad...or is already. Good luck.

#6 11 years ago

Could it be a magnetized coil in the relay keeping it closed enough for the hold on switch to keep re firing the coil. Try a thin piece of paper between the core end & armature on the relays that keep firing. It should stop them if it is magnetized armature.

#7 11 years ago

Appreciate the input. The game over coil has been replaced, all bad coild replced. All switches adjusted properly and contacts present.

The Q relay is not magnatized, it's new. Armarute is ok. The game never has an issue at initial power on when the R relay actuates the Q relay, Q locks normally at power on.

#8 11 years ago

Anything 'going on'/noticeable w/any of the the score motor switch(s)when the relays pull in and arc real bad?

#9 11 years ago

You don't have an AX latching relay in that game do you? I just worked on 2 latching relays (AX & BX) and a regular ag game over relay on a Royal Flush to fix my game over issue. Did you adjust the latching relays according to Clay's new video on pinrepair? If they're adjusted right you should hear a click as you manually operate it. There's not much movement in the latching relay switches.

#10 11 years ago

This type of problem is often caused by a mechanical issue in the buzzing relay adding excessive return force. I had one do this once because the armature plastic melted on to the blade, due to another relay locking on - the big blue spark can generate a lot of heat.

Also, check to see if one or more switches jumped out of it's correct spot and is adding too much force to the relay.

For fun, you may want to remove the spring one at a time from the two relays and see if it affects the problem. This isn't a fix, just an experiment.

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from Cash_Riprock:

Anything 'going on'/noticeable w/any of the the score motor switch(s)when the relays pull in and arc real bad?

Took the score motor apart and verified all switches were ok.

All armatures correct and leaf switches in the right slots.

Ax and Bx latching correctly.

#12 11 years ago

Hey, I see you are in Pinckey. I'm in AA if you really get stuck, give me a PM and we will see what we can do.

#13 11 years ago

I will buy you a case of beer plus gas money if you figure this one out newmantjn.

You have a great collection of pins too. I need to stop by your house!

#14 11 years ago

Garrett,

I actually gained some experience this weekend with sparking switches. In the instance I learned on a Jumping Jack a switch was gapped too open and was keeping bonus from scoring consistently. There was a noticable blue spark at the culprit switch. Closing the gap fixed the contact issue and i suspect there was a timing issue that also improved with the switch closed up some and gapped properly.

Reading about your issue and then looking at your video you sure do have a lot of blue sparks. Just to see what I might be able to help with I read through Clay's EM guide where he talks about turning the lights out to identify the switches in a sparking circuit. In the example he shared he talked about the switches being adjusted too close.

So between both examples I would suggest you revisit the gap at the switches that are sparking. Maybe you are too close - maybe you are too open. This may be an the issue if you adjusted a lot of switches in going through the relays.

Not sure if this will help but will be easy enough for you to review. Keep us posted and maybe another Team-EM'er will chime in.

Mike O.
Team-EM

#15 11 years ago

Garrett,

One other thing for you and newmantjn. I'm also a former Michigander. I'm originally from Muskegon and went to school in AA from 1974 to 1982.

There was an operator that placed games in South Quad that were available to us 24/7. I got hooked on Drop A Card as my first game because it was 3 plays for a quarter where the newer games were 2 plays for a quarter. Little did I know I was getting additional value for my money since DAC is such a great game. A couple of years later got hooked on Atlantis, my desert island game.

Makes me wonder if either of you own games I played back in the day. There is a way you can tell. We used to write our names and/or initials and high scores on the face of the head. Must have driven the operator nuts. Makes me cringe now thinking of how we were so hellbent on defacing these artworks. If you have any of these where "Oscar" is listed as responsible for any of the high scores that's me. It's a nickname some of my high school buddies gave me.

Mike O.
Team-EM

#16 11 years ago

Appreciate the input MikeO. None of my games have Oscar on the head.

I've tried gapping the Q relay tight, loose, normal tension and low tension (leaf switches straight and leaf switches bent slightly down to alleviate tension for the coil to overcome).

I'll look at them again.

#17 11 years ago

I would agree that it is likely a switch gap issue. The way you described it as 'getting worse' is something I recently experienced on a newly restored pin. In my case, I suspect the game was stored with the reset bank (Flipper Pool as a 4 switch stack unit) in the tripped position. Two switch blades were gapped likely due to being in the tripped position for a long time. Once I adjusted those for a closer gap, the problem went away (was adding an extra ball at reset). I have found 90% of EM issues are related to faulty switching-which is no wonder considering how many there are and how easily they can go out of proper adjustment.

#18 11 years ago

One last thought...switch stack screws tight? If not tighten one closest to blades 1st.

#19 11 years ago

I recently had a double bonus bug in my Spirit of 76. I had been through all associated switches... Cleaning them, gapping etc yet the intermittent issue continued.

I had been using a flexstone to clean them. I eventually traced it back to a score motor switch. The switch was gapped very well but current would stop flowing intermittently through it as the bonus was being paid out, causing a relay to drop off and only part of the bonus to be awarded.

I cleaned the score motor switch again using a metal file I kept for decades from my pinball shop days. It has about the same sharpness as a common nail file, mabe a bit sharper. My bonus bug has been fixed ever since. I'm pretty sure bits of the flex stone had been left behind, lodged in the switch contact which was removed by my metal file.

I don't know if this is related to your issue or not but it's another wierd thing to cause malfunction.

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from SteveFury:

I'm pretty sure bits of the flex stone had been left behind, lodged in the switch contact which was removed by my metal file.

That is one reason I prefer a dremel. This ^^^^ is all to common a problem.

To OP, we are having a Detroit Pinball League night at my house on Sat. I believe we will have room for a guest if you would like to bring your game over and play in the League. Warmup at 6:00, play starts at 7:00. I would likely not get to the game until Sunday.

PM me for address etc. if you are interested.

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from newmantjn:

To OP, we are having a Detroit Pinball League night at my house on Sat. I believe we will have room for a guest if you would like to bring your game over and play in the League. Warmup at 6:00, play starts at 7:00. I would likely not get to the game until Sunday.

PM me for address etc. if you are interested.

If that doesn't work out, I can probably make it out next week some night to your place.

#22 11 years ago

Time to unplug and remove the play field. "Divide and conquer." If the problem persists, it's in the back box or bottom board. If it goes away, it's on the play field.

#23 11 years ago

Thanks Stevefury. The signal path that initiates the game over circuit is pretty simple. I pulled the score motor a week or so ago and went through everything. I've used a flex stone as well as files on contatcs. I was eye-balling everything again last night. The contatcs the for this circuit through the score motor are on 1C and easy to see. All looks fine, even reflowed the solder.

Gapped associated contacts tight and loose once again with the same result.

Thank you too newmantjn for the invitation. I probably won't make it as we already have other plans. Apprecate the offer for the help. Let's hold off a bit for now.

When you look at the video you see arcing. I should add another video that shows how the relays behave other than ball 5. The O ball return relay does not arc on ball 1-4. The Q game over relay does not arc when you power the game on or when it relases for a new game. The arcing is intensified because of the relay chatter at the end of a game.

The latching circuit. Q latches through either the R hold relay at power on or Motor 1C, Bx, O, Coin Unit and Q at game over. Q always latches properly at power on and does not arc. At ball 5 Q never latches, even if I hold the switch stack in, the coil voltage is present then releases at the rate of the relay chatter. This is why Q does not lock. Again, Q latches fine through R, it's the same latching contacts on Q.

I have jumped the associated 0 relay contacts, Bx contacts, Coin Unit contacts. This method should remove doubt about contact gapping.

Looking at the schematic and what I need to look into more is how the Q relay also passes power to the playfield (see 14E) circuit that also in turn feeds voltage to 1C that provides power to the latching contacts.

Should the U first ball relay be energized after scoring on the first ball through ball 5 or should it release when Bx last ball energizes with the last ball? Or is U first ball suppose to release when Q game over energizes?

No offense smokey, but with this issue you have to have the playfield plugged in

#24 11 years ago

Found the problem and what causes the chatter when trying to end the game. If you look on 14E of the schematic you see that the playfeild voltage passes through Q. When the game ends Q drops the voltage to the playfield.

The voltage to latch Q at the end of the game goes through Ax. Although the contacts looked ok, I cleaned them and verified they made good contact. The pesky Ax relay strikes again. It looked ok but was not adjusted for absolute intimate contact.

As the game tried to end Q would not latch. Since it would not latch the score motor would run and the voltage to the playfield was going to 25V again. This signal then initates the game over sequence and Q tries to close. And since the volatge to lock it closed was not present through Ax it would create the chatter as seen in the video.

Thanks for the input from everyone and the offers to help.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-cleopatra-game-over-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.