Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Aurich
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Instruction-Cards.jpg
    AC_DC_Price_Premium.jpg
    csi-credits-small.jpg
    lotr-credits-small.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aurich.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#16 10 years ago

It's funny how I think a bit differently than you when I design my cards, just goes to show how many approaches there are.

Quoted from swampfire:

I made my "Free Play" cards with these guidelines in mind:
    1. Don't duplicate information that's already on the game. For me, the title and manufacturer are redundant.

Agreed, but that goes for the design team as well, it's printed right there on the playfield most times, no need to put it on the card. I leave it off.

2. Use high-quality 300dpi artwork that isn't in the game, instead of duplicating what's on the backglass or playfield. I'd make an exception for small art that could be highlighted, like the babe in the boat in Fathom.

Agreed on 300dpi, and I'm while I'm not big on straight up duplicating, I think it's important that the tone of the art matches the game, and ties the playfield and the translite together. There should be a stylistic link between them all.

3. Make the credits as large as possible, without obscuring the artwork.

Less is more, too much text is clutter to me. The card should have no more than a few focal points. So I agree on making text legible and clear, but don't care for the design team credits or a ton of copy.

4. Only one image per card; keep it simple.

I prefer a composition over a single image, something original, while still keeping in mind the above clutter and style thinking.

5. Include the year the game was made

Agreed, year is great. I also like to include the number of units produced if possible. I get cheeky with it and put things like "Machine 1/5000". Other key info is the Free Play text, it's supposed to be a pricing card, and I like it clear that my machine is on free play.

Just my approaches, no one person's opinion on this is any more valid than anyone else's, just a matter of personal tastes and whims.

#17 10 years ago

I just (finally) posted my Shadow alternate translite that I've been working on, and as part of it I did some instruction/free play cards. So here's an example of one of my cards that hopefully sticks with the principles I laid out, just like yours stick with your list.

Instruction-Cards.jpgInstruction-Cards.jpg

I don't want to hijack your thread with my design, but you can see the translite here:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-new-original-alternate-translite-speaker-panel-cards

to see what I mean about how I like to tie the card's style into both the translite and playfield. So in this case the imagery is related, but not exactly copied, and the colors and fonts pull in some from the playfield. The "Free Play" font was chosen because it feels similar to the Bally logo for instance, and the title font on the instructions comes from the scenes area of the playfield, colors are from the apron and playfield, etc.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aurich.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/free-play-cards-my-thought-process?tu=aurich and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.