(Topic ID: 196458)

Four new pinball software mods (DM, STTNG, HS2, JY)

By soren

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 22 days ago by Tsskinne
  • Topic is favorited by 41 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

ROM comparison cgart HS2 (resized).png
JunkYard (resized).jpg

#1 2 years ago

The patch has been removed.

JunkYard (resized).jpg
#2 2 years ago

Hey man, that's so cool!

You should advertise the other SW revisions at the respective club threads!

#3 2 years ago

Cool mods! I'll have to give HS2 a try for sure.

#4 2 years ago

This is super impressive. I wish I had your skills to read through and make sense of the raw assembly. I'd love to patch out the video mode in my Johnny Mnemonic.

#6 2 years ago

The patches for STTNG and HS2 was incorrect in the initial post. They are now updated. Sorry for that.

#7 2 years ago

The Junk Yard changes sound awesome! Questions:

1. Would the ColorDmd be affected by the new display graphics?
2. Updating the code would require burning the file onto a new IC chip, yes?

#8 2 years ago

I'm amazed. Reverse engineering the ROMs is impressive! It's even more impressive to be able to modify the to do something useful. If you'd like to share, I'd be really interested in reading how the ROMs are structured and how you make the modifications. I code in C, but I've got next to no experience with assembly. Williams uses a custom-built chip; is the instruction set documented somewhere? How did you figure this out?

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from kyle5574:

I'm amazed. Reverse engineering the ROMs is impressive! It's even more impressive to be able to modify the to do something useful. If you'd like to share, I'd be really interested in reading how the ROMs are structured and how you make the modifications. I code in C, but I've got next to no experience with assembly. Williams uses a custom-built chip; is the instruction set documented somewhere? How did you figure this out?

Williams uses a custom ASIC for interfacing, but it uses a regular Motorola 6809 cpu. The instruction set for the 6809 is published, and most of the ASIC is documented by the freewpc project

#10 2 years ago

Thanks a lot everybody.

Anyone who like to get into ROM mods, be aware, it requires passion and time. Also, don't throw yourselves at WPC to begin with. And please keep it subtle and safe.

Seek out tools and information: PinMAME, FreeWPC, pinhacks.com, the Visual Pinball community, ...

1 week later
#11 2 years ago

Thank you. I will test the HS2 in the new few days

#12 2 years ago

I'm sure I'm not the only one that would love to see a bug-free BSD rom.

#13 2 years ago

Keep up the great work soren

2 weeks later
#14 2 years ago

soren quick question for The Getaway - High Speed 2, once I apply the patch should the MD5 for the file be - EDF2AA9F862264B0F30AAF9BF9B24680 ?

#15 2 years ago

After the patch is applied the """SHA1""" checksum is

16E83BC01C452781150275A0E88A71072CF9BC43

for The Getaway.

Cheers.

3 weeks later
#16 2 years ago

If someone can apply the Junk Yard patch to the original code and load it onto an IC chip, please quote me a price - I'm interested in getting this on my machine.

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from TopMoose:

If someone can apply the Junk Yard patch to the original code and load it onto an IC chip, please quote me a price - I'm interested in getting this on my machine.

Same here

2 weeks later
#18 2 years ago

I was met with some confusion over the video mode rules, factory and mod, in Junk Yard. And it is. Confusing. Multiple routes to the heavily over exposured video mode(s), which inspired the mod in the first place. This is the compromise at which it has been toned down.

A factory (v1.2) Junk Yard, this is how the Dog video modes can be started.

1) Magic bus award.
2) Spell DOG -> Make the shot again.
2b) Same as 2) but via the sneak-in on soft centre-left ramp balls.
3) Assemble the Toaster gun -> Make the DOG shot.
4) Spot DOG plunge award. Short cut to 2).

3) will also switch the Dog video mode from Run from Spike to Save the girl for rest of game.

Software mod.

1) Removed.
2) Will switch to bonus-x +1 only (and permanent ball return to the right flipper), if a Dog video mode already played on current ball.
2b) As 2).
3) Same as factory. And once done, it will apply the same diverter rule as 2).
4) Same as factory. Will always lower the diverter and enable video mode.

Playing Outer space wizard mode will reset 2) and allow for a video mode to be started.

So, generally one Dog video mode per ball-in-play. Options for additional ones...

2) / 2b), after the wizard mode. A fair reach. Not every game though.
3) Common. But only once per game.
4) Rare to get and to acquire. Let alone after a Ball recycled.

Note, the additional Time machine/Saucer attack video mode is not mixed into all this.

#19 2 years ago

Love it - can't wait to get it on my machine and if someone can help me make that happen, please DM me.

I wanted to see what people think of an idea I had. I enjoy the Time Machine mode but sometimes, because it's the lowest-priority mode, the game works out so it doesn't get played. What if, instead of keeping all your junk after Outer Space, you had to re-collect three pieces (maybe the clock plus two random others). It would give the player another chance at a Time Machine and make the game more interesting and challenging. Thoughts?

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from TopMoose:

Love it - can't wait to get it on my machine and if someone can help me make that happen, please DM me.
I wanted to see what people think of an idea I had. I enjoy the Time Machine mode but sometimes, because it's the lowest-priority mode, the game works out so it doesn't get played. What if, instead of keeping all your junk after Outer Space, you had to re-collect three pieces (maybe the clock plus two random others). It would give the player another chance at a Time Machine and make the game more interesting and challenging. Thoughts?

Personally I think it's challenging enough to have to complete all of the modes again after outer space. The junk doesn't feel like an achievement to me, you mostly just collect it through gameplay.

I like the blueprint aspect where the order you collect the junk in affects which modes light. I think the original designers could have emphasized that better. Maybe an Easter egg if you collect it in a certain order or a way to make the end more challenging but worth more points.

4 months later
#21 1 year ago

Hey soren: is there any place that you explain how you are creating these modified roms/patches? Could you share? Seems like if there were more people able to do this the community would have yet another aspect of Pinball to obsess over!! Thank you.

#22 1 year ago

Great work!

10 months later
#23 1 year ago

I can't get the XDelta3 "merge" command to work properly.
I definitely have the correct ROM and Patch files (both have the correct SHA1 checksums).

Does anyone know the correct command to merge the patches?

It should be something like: xdelta3 merge -m OrigRomFile.rom PatchFile.xd3 NewRomFile.rom
-- Although this is not working for me

2 weeks later
#24 1 year ago
Quoted from soren:

Rev L-4X patch be55

One thing I've noticed with this rom is sometimes it'll auto drop the ball on the first selection. Sometimes when I pick "super jets" it'll pick "Capture Simon".
Its fine for the most part, but every once in a while it does weird stuff like that.

I don't believe it's the game because it worked fine with the original rom set.
anyone else having these issues, my game is on location so obviously I'm not gonna do the home roms.
I'll probably put back in the original, it's to bad because its a cool idea.

#25 1 year ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

One thing I've noticed with this rom is sometimes it'll auto drop the ball on the first selection. Sometimes when I pick "super jets" it'll pick "Capture Simon".
Its fine for the most part, but every once in a while it does weird stuff like that.
I don't believe it's the game because it worked fine with the original rom set.
anyone else having these issues, my game is on location so obviously I'm not gonna do the home roms.
I'll probably put back in the original, it's to bad because its a cool idea.

nevermind it is my machine... damn had broken lead and shorted switch. no idea how that would of happened

2 weeks later
#26 1 year ago

@soren Thank you for making this ROM. To better help me understand, how dies your patch version compare in this table. Please explaind, so I can adapt my file Thank you

ROM comparison cgart HS2 (resized).png
1 week later
#27 12 months ago

The premature restart bug is in L-5. And not it L-1 or L-2 as far as I know.

The multible balls released thing I believe is a hoax. The problem is mechanically rooted.

The rest should be like L-5.

I would have liked to have the missing in L-5 display stuff re-enabled in the patch. But was unaware of this.

The patch also makes it possible to remove multiball from the mystery awards (non-tourney play). This is done because the super jackpot gets progressivly harder to get. And if you are close to Red line, you might not want to play the lock multiball. In tourney play, the multiball at mystery is deterministic.

9 months later
#28 80 days ago

soren thank you for your work on HS2! Do you have an opinion about the anti-ghosting mod that’s floating around for WPC games? It seems to me that I’d want to run L-5 bc43. Is the non-ghosting mod in there along with your improvements?

#29 77 days ago

The Demoman mod originally posted here is obsolete and superceeded by this one.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-demolition-man-software-mod-version-2

#30 71 days ago

Looking for a HS2 chip with this new rom loaded. Pm if you can help and what the cost is.

1 month later
#31 40 days ago

Does anyone know where the HS2 ROM can be downloaded? The link is dead...

#32 40 days ago
Quoted from arolden:

Does anyone know where the HS2 ROM can be downloaded? The link is dead...

The link in the first post works for me?

http://tinyurl.com/ychdyrw9

#33 40 days ago
Quoted from Phantasize:

The link in the first post works for me?
http://tinyurl.com/ychdyrw9

Whoops! You're right. Don't know what the hell I was doing!

2 weeks later
#34 22 days ago

I'm running no ghost L-5 roms in my HS2 now, but if your roms can fix bugs and add in the run the red light screen as well as the code upgrades I'd be very interested!

#35 22 days ago
Quoted from soren:

The Demoman mod originally posted here is obsolete and superceeded by this one.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-demolition-man-software-mod-version-2

Just installed this on my Demolition Man this past week and man I have really enjoyed it. Definitely makes the game more balanced and offers the player lots of more strategic choice in how they choose to approach the game.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
2,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 64.99
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 17.99
Playfield - Decals
Lermods
$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus
$ 36.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
North Salem, NY
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pittsburgh, PA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside