(Topic ID: 309628)

Flipper Rebuild Stern EOS Question

By Runswithscissors

2 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    #1 2 years ago

Hi all,

I'm shopping out a 2007 Stern Spider-Man. It's been routed hard and I'm going to rebuild the flippers. I noticed something that makes me nervous. On all three of the flippers, it appears that the EOS switch has been purposely broken. Is this something that Ops have done in the past that I've never heard of?

The flippers are strong, so I think I just need to do a standard rebuild without replacing the coils. Should I replace the coils? Is there something else I should be looking for? Am I worried about nothing?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

#2 2 years ago

There's almost never a reason to replace the coil.

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from Runswithscissors:

Is this something that Ops have done in the past that I've never heard of?

Assuming you're talking about the switch actuator (the metal part with a plastic piece riveted to it that opens the switch), no. It's just a poor design that breaks easily. Thankfully the game is still playable when they break and the vast majority of players don't notice.

When you buy the replacement actuators, get one extra for each side. Even in home use, they can break.

#4 2 years ago

phishrace Yes, it's the switch actuator on two of them. It's the the switch piece that the actuator hits on the other flipper.

Thanks, I've been out of pins for the last ten years and I'm just getting back into the hobby and this is my first Stern. It's good to know that this is typical wear even if it's just a sign of shoddy design.

On the plus side, I'm impressed at how well documented everything is in the manual. That's been critical for a pin that has been rode hard and put away wet.

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from Runswithscissors:

On the plus side, I'm impressed at how well documented everything is in the manual. That's been critical for a pin that has been rode hard and put away wet.

The digital manual for Spidey is spectacular. In color and may be Stern's best ever manual. I believe the one linked on IPBD is the nice one.

https://www.ipdb.org/

Spidey was a popular game and tended to have long average ball times, so yeah, many are beat. Did you buy it from a local guy named Rick? If yes, I'm responsible for some of the wear on that game. Sorry. I play in the local league. If you think you might want to check that out, google BAPA pinball or send me a pm.

2 weeks later
    #6 2 years ago

Well, it's done. The flippers were the last thing on my two month long shop job on this machine. Maybe I should have started with them. They were so dirty. Why do people grease flippers? Here's a before and after shot. I know some people go crazy and remake the stickers. I'm not that hard core. I tore everything off the top of the playfield and only removed things on the bottom that needed repair or extra cleaning.

Now that it's playable...wow is this thing fast. Between the clean/waxed playfield, the new rubber and the rebuilt flippers, I don't know that I've played anything quite this fast.

I may post some pics on the club spidey forum if anybody wants to see.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flipper-rebuild-stern-eos-question- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.