• 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Mando
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

_end-of-stroke-switch-1338427926.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider accidental.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 11 years ago

My first pin arrived yesterday, a nice JP.

There are a couple of issues which I'll address separately but most annoyingly is this flipper issue:

The left flipper doesn't have much strength to remain raised when balls hit it, occasionally failing completely if a ball hits at high speed (such as returns from the raptor pit). So, for example, if a ball is fed from the pops quite quickly and it hits near the tip of the raised left flipper, the flipper will drop a little and not be very strong for the subsequent flip.

Is there anything obvious I can check or do to fix this? I'm a total noob so point me where to go if I need to be schooled up on anything first

Thanks in advance.

#3 11 years ago

Cheers dude I'll try that. Even if I can't fix it swapping them will be better anyway because the left flipper is most important to be strong. The left flipper just shoots close range scoops most of the time.

#15 11 years ago

I have noticed another symptom that might help diagnose the problem. When the flipper his held up the machine produces a loud hum/low-buzz. When I physically hold the flipper with my hand during this time I can feel the hum vibrating the flipper. Holding the right flipper(s) doesn't produce a hum. It is reasonably concerning!

#18 11 years ago

I've noticed that the EOS wires have been cut/disconnected on mine as well. They have been directly connected together so that they bypass the EOS switch so the 'switch' is essentially always on.

I guess that rules those out?

#20 11 years ago

I did read it, I didn't think it was the problem because both sets of flippers had the wires cut and joined directly and it had been done long ago and operated fine until now so I thought something else must have changed. I soldered the EOS wires back onto the left flipper switch and it is working now. The behavior is just as you said: that it adds power back to the flipper when it is pushed down enough to open the switch.

So it is fixed! Thanks for showing me where to look. It was only your photo that made me realize the wires were missing here.

Next up: ramp diverter and t-rex lef/right motor …

#24 11 years ago

You're right pinster, it stopped the loud hum and vibration. I guess it's because the flipper is still receiving full power when actuated rather than switching to low-power mode when the EOS would e triggered?

So now that I have reconnected the EOS switch this is now giving power to the flipper when it drops low enough to open the switch. While it has stopped the flipper failing completely when hit hard, it still drops slightly. The effect is as if the ball has a soft landing. I could close the EOS switch gap further to make these short drops even shorter but I won't be able to eliminate the issue completely.

What would this 'soft flipper' issue a symptom of? It kills moderate-speed tip passes but other than that it's fine for gameplay. It in fact makes live catches easier

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
London, ON
Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

4,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vienna, VA
$ 250.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Sabattus, ME
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider accidental.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flipper-failing-when-ball-hits-it-at-high-speed?tu=accidental and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.