Fixed High Speed flipper, but confused about the why/how

By ryanwanger

10 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Here is the setup:

Only one set of the three sets of white flasher bulbs was working on my High Speed, so I figured that it was a wiring issue. Then I learned that those bulbs are actually in series, so I replaced the bulbs, and they're all working. Yay!

I play a few games to enjoy the working bulbs, and then suddenly the upper right flipper is super weak - as though only the low power part of the coil works. I check the EOS, but it looks fine (though the upper right flipper only has one switch, while the lower flippers have two).

Based on another flipper issue I had with a different game recently, I'm thinking this might be a diode (but, I haven't done a ton of repair yet, so it's just a guess). The diode seems to measure differently than the ones on other coils, so I replace it. Still weak. Also, I should note this is a flipper that I rebuilt a few weeks ago (didn't replace the coil or the bushing though).

I do some googling and see a picture of the upper right flipper wiring. Then I look at mine more carefully. Sure enough, the wires coming from the EOS switch are reversed - attached to the wrong lugs on the coil. I switch them to the correct position and fire up the game. The flipper is still weak for the first couple of flips, but then suddenly comes to life - flipping hard as expected.

Can someone explain what happened exactly? How could it have ever worked if the wires were backwards? Did changing the bulbs have an impact? Just trying to learn - thanks!

#2 10 years ago

Check the double stack switch. The second contact activates the upper flipper you may need to clean it or adjust it or both. Mine were crusty and pitted and had recently put in new flipper button switches, makes a world of difference. Good Luck. Jeff

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

Check the double stack switch. The second contact activates the upper flipper you may need to clean it or adjust it or both. Mine were crusty and pitted and had recently put in new flipper button switches, makes a world of difference. Good Luck. Jeff

Thanks. I did check that during all this.

It's not actually that I need help, everything works great...I was just hoping someone could explain why this all happened. How could the flipper have been working fine for months with the coil wired incorrectly? And suddenly stop working?

#4 10 years ago

Mystery huh? If its all good now, that's all that matters.

2 weeks later
#5 10 years ago

Just to follow up...

Someone more experienced than me diagnosed this correctly in person - the EOS was occasionally arcing. Another clue was that when entering high score initials, the right flipper button was *really* inconsistent...like only advanced the letter 20% of the time.

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

Mine are crusty and pitted also...maybe I'll replace them. Since they work now, will it end up being any different? I never sense any unreliability (now that the upper flipper is no longer arcing).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunakeszi
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Orange, CA
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fixed-high-speed-flipper-but-confused-about-the-whyhow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.