• Latest reply 5 years ago by Pin_Guy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20181224_105630[1] (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

I picked up a Fish Tales not long ago that I am shopping out. I'm getting power to the coils even with power off and game unplugged. I took a pic of touching one of the coil lugs and an LED lead with game unplugged. LED lights up. Not fun getting zapped while working under pf. All switches and coils work fine. Game was playing fine before I started working on it besides a rollover switch that needed replacing. I don't see any bad hacks or sketchy wiring. Boards look pretty clean. There was a break in the ground braid by the playfield hinges due to the hinges being bent up. All that was fixed but made no difference. Power cord is fine and has the ground peg. Is this a ground issue or what?

20181224_105630[1] (resized).jpg20181224_105630[1] (resized).jpg
#2 5 years ago

Capacitors hold a charge, maybe one or more of them are leaking the charge slowly?
How much voltage are you measuring while it's unplugged? Same measurement after 5, 15, and 30 minutes?

I suppose you could try discharging it using an alligator clip and a ground wire to another (properly grounded) game...

#3 5 years ago

Voltage is around 73V after unplugging. Then down 65V 15 minutes or so later. Hour later or so like 47V. Guess capacitors need changing.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Voltage is around 73V after unplugging. Then down 65V 15 minutes or so later. Hour later or so like 47V. Guess capacitors need changing.

Capacitors are working perfectly, they are designed store and hold voltage and this is exactly what they are doing. With no actual power behind them they will drop to zero as soon as any load is applied.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 220.00
Playfields
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Starcade Amusement

$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 26.50
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

12,500 (OBO)
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 169.00
6,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fish-tales-power-to-coils-when-unplugged and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.