55 days ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 47 days ago by Lodi
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 55 days ago

Hello I have been restoring cars for 20 or 30 years doing all my own work from mechanical to paint. I do complete rewires and reach apprentices electrical in.the evenings so i am pretty handy.

I recently got the pinball bug and purchased a Stern Galaxy, it ran okay but I ended up doing an LED conversion, tuning the switches, and replacing a couple of solenoids. Runs super nice now and I have the bug to get another project machine but not sure what to look for or what is worth restoring?

Are there certain vendors I should check to make sure parts are available? Is a playfield swap to much for a first time?

Any advice is appreciated.

#2 55 days ago

What are you interested in? What is your “thing”? Are you seeking to sell the machine for a profit after? Sounds like you’re more than capable. Just find something that interests you. This is kind of a personal thing. Unless you are doing a rehab on a pretty rare machine parts will not be an issue.

Best to find the machine first maybe

#3 55 days ago

What is “worth” restoring will be entirely up to you. Everyone has different taste and what they consider fun will vary. If you are speaking purely from a worth it in regards to money spent, then you are probably going to want to stick to games made 1986 or newer that are higher in popularity. (There are exceptions for highly desirable titles that are older than this such as fathom, centaur, etc). I am doing a playfield swap right now. Without the original playfield to use as a reference. I wouldn’t say it is “hard” especially if you understand how the electronic side works, it makes rewiring stuff that must be disconnected easy. What it is though is tedious. New playfields will have dimple or pilot holes. These may or may not line up to the correct location, so it is important to test fit before screwing into place. There are also holes the playfield for larger post that will likely need to be drilled larger to make them fit. If you understand the wiring side, I’d say that is the most complicated part. Check out my thread “reviving a swords of fury from the dead” if you want a look some of the stuff a true restoration will involve. And even with what I’m doing, I haven’t actually restored the cabinet, it’s essentially getting a new playfield.

#4 55 days ago

Thanks for the input,

GPS

as far as interest I like the older 2 flipper games and a number of newer ones (this weekend i played the venom and stranger things machines for the first time and had a ball). As far as selling goes i know you never really make a profit on this stuff if you "pay" yourself for the hours you put in, its the same with cars. I mostly just like saving old stuff and using it.

Jmckune

Thanks the advice on the playfields is kind of what i am looking for, I will check out that thread and take a look.

I guess what brought this up is once I had the Stern Galaxy dialed in and playing nice i was like "man if the playfield was only perfect" since there is the normal 40 year wear and tear and i was surprised you couldn't just order a new one.

Kind of like when you buy an old AMC or Studebaker and realize all of a sudden you cant get parts.

Also any advice on finding project machines, i check here and facebook marketplace but it seems most projects are priced at resale value for a running machine.

#5 55 days ago
    Quoted from kcahill666:

Thanks for the input,
    GPS
    as far as interest I like the older 2 flipper games and a number of newer ones (this weekend i played the venom and stranger things machines for the first time and had a ball). As far as selling goes i know you never really make a profit on this stuff if you "pay" yourself for the hours you put in, its the same with cars. I mostly just like saving old stuff and using it.
    Jmckune
    Thanks the advice on the playfields is kind of what i am looking for, I will check out that thread and take a look.
    I guess what brought this up is once I had the Stern Galaxy dialed in and playing nice i was like "man if the playfield was only perfect" since there is the normal 40 year wear and tear and i was surprised you couldn't just order a new one.
    Kind of like when you buy an old AMC or Studebaker and realize all of a sudden you cant get parts.
    Also any advice on finding project machines, i check here and facebook marketplace but it seems most projects are priced at resale value for a running machine.

Best advice for finding a project is putting out a wanted ad for a specific few games. Do more than one in order to increase your chances of finding one you like. For example, in my future wishlist, I’d like to have a Pinbot, Diner, Mousin Around, or Space Station. I keep my eyes peeled for ads for these games, if one comes up that seems reasonable in distance and price to me, I have to move quickly (be ready to go if you find something, don’t sit and wonder because if it’s a good deal, it’ll be gone quick). On that note, with you being new, don’t be afraid to befriend a couple of people on here if you aren’t sure how to asses the condition of a project machine and determine what can be cleaned up or repaired vs what will need to be bought new. You will have to be ready to do some type of roadtripping because unless you get lucky, the odds of the game you want in the condition you want are very low for them to pop up for sale in your backyard. My longest trip as been 7 hours one way.

#6 55 days ago

Stay away from particle board cabinets.

#7 55 days ago

I'd suggest doing some research and reading to find out what type of pinball
    floats your boat. There is a wide variety, some of the categories are;
    early mechanical (1931-1935 or so)
    pre-flipper (pre-1947)
    one ball (1940's)
    bingo (1950's or so)
    wood rails which overlap many types
    early (short) flipper (1950's-70's)
    EM's which cover many decades
    early solid state
    1980's-90's solid state
    and the newer types

See if there is a show in your area and go as that'd be the best way to get
    exposed to a wide variety. That'd be a good place to find project games too.
    Look locally too.
    Steve

#8 55 days ago

One more thing, a good resource for looking up titles as they become available is

www.ipdb.org

Type in the title and you'll see pics as well as which books have more info.
    Welcome to the hobby!

#9 54 days ago

Look for amusement auctions. Bring an extension cord, a couple of quarters, and the ability to carry home a pinball (or a couple).

Auction is a great place to find machines to fix up.

And if you end up with the machine that nobody can fix, you can always sell it back at the next auction. I see that all the time. A non-perfect machine gets sold, then it's offered at the next auction, then it's offered at the next auction... Hehe. Nobody can fix it, but it changes hands over and over.

You'll be happier with your hobby if it turns into a profit center, so find out over a couple of amusement auctions what various games are selling for, and then you can spot when a machine can be sold at a great price... if it were only working. Which is what you can do. Turn it from non working junk into great working pinball goodness.

The problem I have with playfield swaps is that you are likely going to spend close to a thousand dollars for the playfield, then on a more modern pinball you are looking at sixteen hours of experienced, moving pretty quickly, labor. Some pinballs (many) you'll never be able to recoup your expenses you've put into the machine. So it ends up being a vanity project? "I did that?" That's fine, but unless you personally love the machine and are keeping it, there are a lot of machines that are well worth fixing, that people will pay good money for a working example.

So, as many people suggest, figure out what you want to do.

I personally see a lot of opportunity for people to buy project machines, fix them right without making them a $15,000 restoration, and sell them, making a little profit on every project.

Keep posting what you are doing!

1 week later
    #10 47 days ago

I'm almost done restoring FunHouse. Its my first pin restoration. I bought the machine 20-years ago form a friend and its always been in very rough shape. I'm dong what you would call a "consourse" restoration. Pretty much replacing everyting except the wiring harnasses and pcb boards (those are being reworked) - new playfield, ramps, plastics, lamp sockets, swithes, screws, nuts, LEDS, cabinet hardware, graphics, etc. Its been fun and frustrating at the same time. Gotta get through that initial learning curve. I love the 80's/90's machines because these are the games that were in arcades when I was growing up and they are still fun to play. I will tackle Fishtales when FunHouse is wrapped up. My boys are already arguing over who gets which machine so I guess we are haning on to them and may add a few. Good luck in finding your next project. Have fun with it!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/first-restoration and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.