You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

88246820-D8C9-43A2-B856-A78C0E465514 (resized).jpeg
1565824415.png
IMG_20200709_163431988 (resized).jpg
1592863310299798604395508967712 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RC_like_the_cola.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

Firepower ball trough coil locking on. Coil is good. Diode is good. Transistor is good. Locks on upon power up. Driving me nuts. At a buddy's house. His game. Argh. Repinned the switch connectors already, but doubt that had anything to do with it. Appreciate any ideas.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Did you replace the pre-driver transistor?
Do you have a logic probe?

It tested good. I don't have a replacement on that one, but did replace the main with a tip102 even though it tested good, also. I do have a logic probe.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Pull the solenoid fuse so the coil does not energize.
Power up the game and connect your logic probe.
Probe the AND gate that drives the Ball Release solenoid.
IC1 pin 9 is blanking input (should be HI if all is well)
IC1 pin 10 is the input from the PIA and it should be LOW when the solenoid should be off and flicks HI when the solenoid is activated (you can use solenoid test to activate it if you want)
IC1 pin 8 is the output - it should be LOW when the solenoid is off and HI when it is on.
If IC1 pin 8 is reading low, and the coil is still locking on, you have a bad pre-driver transistor or a bad driver transistor or both. (most likely the cause)
If IC1 pin 8 is reading HI when IC1 pin 10 is LOW - IC1 is bad. (less common)
If IC1 pin 10 (PIA input) is locked HI - you have a bad PIA (rare)

Schwaggs Pins 9 and 10 of IC1 are both pulsing. Pin 8 is high. This is with the solenoid fuse removed. I'm not sure what connector is J11. Thanks for you help. Just got back in front of the machine tonight. Here is my probe for reference. When I say pulse, all 3 lights are on.

1592863310299798604395508967712 (resized).jpg1592863310299798604395508967712 (resized).jpg
#9 3 years ago

Swapped in a rotten dog all in one board and the coil spender doesn't lock but it won't credit or start a game. With both the original and the rotten dog I can get one step into the audits, but no more. Previously I was about to step through them with the rotten dog. Something weird going on.

1 week later
#12 3 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

That doesn't sound right. Can you check the AND gate of the next solenoid? Pins 12 and 13 are the inputs and 11 is the output.
Both 9 and 13 should be solid HI when all is working. If they are pulsing, something is very wrong.
Pin 8 being HI will fire that solenoid. Now its just a question of what is causing it to lock HI when it shouldn't. Could be bad IC1 or something further up the line.
Is the 40 pin interboard connector original?

40 pin interconnect was replaced by someone I trust regarding board work and I swapped out the IC1 for shits and giggles and it read the same, so I think the problem is elsewhere. I have the game at home now, so I can spend more time on troubleshooting.

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

did you try replacing the pre-driver?

Not yet. I have to order some.

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Does the board have AMI branded PIA chips?

I'll check when I set it up. I know before I started looking at it, one was replaced with a newer pia for sure.

#20 3 years ago

Hmmm. Come to think of it, we had the balls removed when we had the replacement board in there. I'm getting an order together for parts, so I'll have more to report after they get here, regarding the original boards. I'll retest with the replacement rottendog with all balls in the trough. Thanks.

#22 3 years ago

Got the game set up. Placed all balls in the trough. Still can't credit the game and can't get past the first step in the test menu. This is with the rottendog all in one pcb. No coil lock on with this board. I wanna see if I can get it working with this one, first, then concentrate on the original boards. This rottendog board works fine in my Laserball. Any idea where to go next? I was thinking I could just repin every dang connector in the backbox that is associated with the mpu and driver. I read somewhere do that first.

Thanks,
RC

#24 3 years ago

Thank you. I will look at all of that info today. I will start with checking that 1J4. I know the test switch gets continuity since it will recognize the first press. It just won't go past that. And it did earlier. I was able to go through some of the menus, but it just stopped. Very weird. Now it only goes to the first press where it shows the game serial number in P1 display and adjustment 04 in the credit window.

#25 3 years ago

I fixed a boo boo I made on the start button. I noticed a wire was hanging loose. It was green with red trace, but a lighter green than the other one that is soldered to the start switch. I had placed it where the diode goes. Moved it to where the other green/red wire is and now I can step through the menu again. I "think" I set it to freeplay, but still can't start a game. How do I know it "saved"? Also, I still can't add credits. I'll continue to study those wiring diagrams.

Thanks, again.

#27 3 years ago

The left coin chute switch was stuck closed, but I fixed that and no change. All other switches in that column seem fine. I went back into the menu and adjustment 18 still shows 00, so it seems my freeplay setting did save. Still no luck in starting a game, but the start button does work in the adjustments to change things. Not sure if I mentioned it, but I did repin the 2J2 and 2J3 connectors in the backbox for the switch matrix while the game was previously at my buddy's house. Double checked my work just now and they look good.

#29 3 years ago

We're getting somewhere, Richard. I see 51 (left most when facing the game) and 57 (right most), but the center switch does not register. I'll check continuity back to the backbox and verify the diode is good. Thanks much for the guidance. Cleaning the switch didn't help.

#30 3 years ago

Tested continuity. Switch 58 is green with gray and white with red. They both go back to the backbox connectors and tone out to indicate they are good. Pulled the diode. Tested good, but replaced it anyway. No change. Also tested the switch alone with the meter and it tones out when the two contacts connect.

#32 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

If you set the game to zero credits for free play, you cannot coin it up.
If you happen to have credits on the game when you set 18 to 0, the credits will stay at whatever is there - no increase, no decrease.

Thanks. To be thorough, I set 18 to 10 and can now add credits. Still can't start since the game can't see the second ball in the trough. Really appreciate all the help and guidance.

#33 3 years ago

I've tested each switch that share a column or row with 58 (center ball trough) and they all work.

#36 3 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

Have you tried putting the game in switch test and activating the problem switch by hand? It's possible the switch is sightly out of adjustment, and the ball isn't pushing it far enough down to activate it.

Yes, sir. That is how I found it was not registering. Tried with a ball and by hand. Game does not recognize it, but if you hold the dmm probes to the contacts and activate by hand, it does give a beep tone to indicate it physically is working.

#37 3 years ago
Quoted from alienpoker:

Meaning they all indicate *individually* during the switch test? Except 57? Test them one a a time. That would rule out the Driver/MPU as the source of the fault. Then you have only the wiring to the PF. And diodes. That’s it as far as I can see.
Try this; Close the PF, Put one ball in the trough. Go to switch test, you should see only sw51 (Left) then without changing anything, flick another ball into the trough from the outlane. You should see 51 & 58.
If you don’t, check (and I would just replace) the diode for 57 (Right Trough switch). I know it looks counter-intuitive, but if you look at the switch matrix, that is a ‘steering diode” and switch 57 is seen first, so would probably work to PIA anyway. They are the only 2 switches on col 8. One is on row1 other is row2. So you don’t have too my to go through. Next logical switch diode to change is actually on switch 50, as that is just before the faulty one (58) on row 2. That’s just the way it works. There is also a strange triangulation switch effect to the matrix (I dimly remember) which I would have to look up to know what to try next. But that has to do with multiple switches closed on different row/cols. But I don’t think that’s the prob here.

They all indicate individually except 58. I can see 51 and 57, but not 58. With a single ball in the trough, 57 shows, as it is closest to the shooter lane. Putting a second ball in, does not show 58. With all 3 in the trough, it shows 51, then shows 57 and stays there. So, I should just replace the diode on 57, for the next step?

#41 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Are your switches the ones where they were put together 'backwards' by the factory? (Flat faces both facing the same way instead of facing each other) If so, just replace the blades as likely the plating is gone and won't be reliable. I buy switch contacts and peen them into blades myself but you can also just get switches already made up from Marcospec or various other places.

Possibly, but they do make electrical contact.

IMG_20200709_163431988 (resized).jpgIMG_20200709_163431988 (resized).jpg
#42 3 years ago

Replaced diode at 57. They (diodes for 57 and 58) test fine out of circuit, but when in circuit, I get .5 with black on the band and red on the other side, as expected. Reverse the leads and I get 1.8 when I should see OL. Same results in test mode. 51 and 57 are registering, but 58 does not.

#44 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

The 2 on the plate look ok the one to the right is reversed, but that one works.
Test all the other switches in the row and columns one at a time and make sure they all work. Look at the ball roll tilt on the left specifically as well. There's got to be a bum switch somewhere else that's causing this to not read. Make sure each switch activates one and only one switch in test.

I tested everything and reported earlier that all other switches that share a row or column read good. I am using this matrix sheet.

http://www.firepowerpinball.com/downloads/SwitchWiring.pdf

Will test again after diode replacement.

Also, the one on the right is 57, if that matters. It shares a column with 58. they are the only 2 switches in column 8.

#46 3 years ago

To quickly answer the first part, I think that was my goof. I was testing with balls in the trough. With no balls (switches open) the diodes read correctly. .5 and OL.

#47 3 years ago

Switch 50 reads fine but haven't replaced the diode yet.

#49 3 years ago
Quoted from alienpoker:

Sure, or put a paper card between the switch blades. Good catch.
I’m pretty sure that with coils, you have to unsolder one leg of the diode before testing. That’s what I do.

Same here on coil diodes. You think I should still replace the diode on switch 50?

#51 3 years ago

Can't thank you enough for the guidance. I hadn't seen that doc before. I hadn't tested from switch 1 moving forward. I didn't even know where switch 1 was. So, I wanted to start at 1, like you said. As soon as I closed the tilt bob, it registered switches 1, 9, 17, 25, 33, 41, 49 and 57 at once. Now that particular diode on the tilt bob reads good, but that means one of those switches is shorted, correct? They are all row 1 switches.

If I activate any of those others individually, they only show the proper number, so that makes me think it is narrowed to the tilt bob.

#54 3 years ago

I'll be testing with the jumper and diode shortly. Waiting for my son to become available to read the display since I'll be in the backbox. I'm certain there are no pinched wires in the coin door. It has heavy clear tubing on the harness in that area.

#56 3 years ago

Tested the matrix with the jumper/diode. Placed my test alligator clip on row1 pin and touched each colum pin in order with my other alligator clip with a diode (band pointing out to touch the pins), then moved to row2, etc. Never got any multiple closures. Now I guess I need to start hunting down a pinch or other short, as you have indicated. Thanks again, very much. This one has been an adventure.

#59 3 years ago

Went back to double check something after looking over all the switches and not seeing any obvious shorts. When I do that test with the jumper and diode, sw58 never registers even without the connectors plugged in. Sw57 does. When I touch row 2 and column 8, I should see 58 appear, but I don't. When I touch row 1 and column 8, 57 does come up on the switch test display. Would this point to the board again? This rottendog board worked fine in my Laserball before I put it in the Firepower to see if that would resolve the locked on coil issue.

#61 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Yes, you need to see that 58 in that situation with the PF disconnected - you're simulating the switch so if it doesn't show up, that's likely why the game won't start and your PF wiring is likely ok.

That makes me worry that something on the game damaged my board. It was fine in my Laserball before I put it in Firepower to resolved a locked on coil with the original boards.

#63 3 years ago

------- COL1-COL2-COL3-COL4-COL5-COL6-COL7-COL8
ROW1 sw1 sw9 sw17 sw25 sw33 sw41 sw49 sw57
ROW2 sw2 sw10 sw18 sw26 sw34 sw42 sw50 XX

They all work but 58 after testing the first 2 rows against the columns again. It stays on whatever switch I last touched when I touch ROW2 COL8 (sw58)

How should I be checking for voltage on these switches? I stuck my black lead into the ground braid and am getting about 5vdc on the switch blades I tested real quick and the tilt bob frame and where the diode connects. Just not sure I'm testing correctly. This last time I also ran the switch test mode with all connectors hooked up as usual and holding the tilt bob closed caused it to reset. That happened once before also.

#65 3 years ago
Quoted from Dantesmark:

Dontcha love pinball.

It's ok, I guess lol.

#68 3 years ago

Pulled COL1 green/brown from the housing and no attract mode. Just GI. Displays go back and forth between 000000 and 500000 like they have been, but no controlled lamp show. Same as it has been this whole time.

I was getting 1.7VAC on the green wire side of the plumb bob tilt and the ball roll tilt when I tested the way you suggested. Getting super low millivolt readings on VDC. Tested some other switches and I'm getting .5VAC, so seems something isn't right on those, unless you were concerned with VDC. Simulating a credit press did not work. Switch test shows the game still does not see sw58.

This is the pcb I have in the game right now, if that helps.
http://www.rottendog.us/MPU327.html

#72 3 years ago

I read that post prior to installing the board and have electrical tape on the back of it in that area. I suppose it is possible that it could have touched, but when I did the column and row jumper test, I don't get the multiple closures. What chip might that have taken out?

#74 3 years ago

Quick update also. I put the original boards back in without the solenoid fuse (because I'm waiting on transistors) and it will start a game. Also, switch test recognizes switch 58. Not getting any controlled lighting. What are some of the common failures I should order? I know PIAs, but what other chips?

This means there must be a fault on the Rottendog, which sucks because I need that for my Laserball. I didn't actually us that mounting hole near the potential short because of that possibility.

#76 3 years ago

Sorry if I was confusing you. I plan to fix the original boards, but I was trying to narrow down what might have been causing an issue with the originals by using my known good Rottendog, which seems to have backfired.

#78 3 years ago
Quoted from alienpoker:

I wouldn’t advise someone to swap in new boards into a game that glitched and stopped working. Not without testing the switch matrix, lamp matrix for shorts and testing and ‘beefing up’ the PSU with new caps and diodes, if needed. But that’s where we are... luckily it looks like the rottendog chips are socketed, so it should be an easy fix.

On mine, only the large chips are socketed. No worries, I'm proficient at soldering, but don't have any of the smaller ones on hand.

#79 3 years ago

Switching gears to the original boards, should my attract mode controlled lighting work without the solenoid fuse? Regarding the locked on outhole coil, I replaced the tip122 with a tip102, even though it read as good, but don't have a 2n4401 or 2n3904 on hand to swap the pre driver, which also reads good. I am a bit confused as I thought that coil was the ramp thrower since it throws the ball over the trough ramp, but documentation shows it is the ball release coil. Unless the documentation has them flip flopped. Either way, all transistors on the board test good with the board out of the game.

#83 3 years ago

Connectors are in the correct places and F3 is good. Still no controlled lamps on the original boards. Wasn't getting them on the Rottendog either, though. I may steal a pre driver off a parts board while waiting on my order just to rule that out for the locked on solenoid #1.

#84 3 years ago

Replaced the pre driver for the locked on coil and it is still locked on. I've verified the coil is good, the diode is good, the transistor is good and the pre driver is good. Still locks on when power is turned on.

#86 3 years ago

Wanna buy a Firepower project lol?

#88 3 years ago

Checked the resistors in the area of that coil as well and they read fine. Guessing it is a chip cause this locked on coil and controlled lighting issues.

#90 3 years ago
Quoted from alienpoker:

You need to send out the boards, or learn to run the Leon Diagnostic built into the Rottendog board via dip switches. Please note: If you dip switch for Leon’s test Rom, You *must* remove the Lamp, Switch, Cabinet and solenoid headers. You can’t attach the playfield- power the board at *only* 1j2 connector & run diags. Leon’s diag rom “pulses” all the PIAs and you use a logic probe to trace back trough the circuits and see if the board is locking the coil OR if it’s still a fault on the PF/cabinet. Hey, you may have fixed the original coil/wiring problem and have blown two sets of Driver boards. It’s all in Pinwiki- or just google the procedures for Leon’s test rom. There’s a start to tracing with a logic probe way at the top of the thread. You may find it’s IC15 and/or IC17 for the switch inputs, failing that the PIAs on the driver board. If the board isn’t locking up the coil drive(s) (most likely it’s the board as you say) - then you still haven't found a fault on the PF.

I'm using the originals now. I can try a test rom. Where do I get that? I removed the power wire from the outhole coil and powered on, now the left eject saucer coil locks on, so it is moving up the chain.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hawesville, KY
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
Tools
Pincoder Store

1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RC_like_the_cola.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/firepower-ball-through-coil-locking-on?tu=RC_like_the_cola and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.