(Topic ID: 156038)

FAST or P-ROC controllers?

By iko

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

fast-power-filter-supplies_(resized).jpg
    Screen_Shot_2016-04-08_at_10.07.00_PM_(resized).png
    Screen_Shot_2016-04-08_at_10.06.34_PM_(resized).png
    project-thunderdome-cc_(resized).jpg
    debounceswitcho_(resized).jpg
    IMG_20160406_103114_edit_(resized).jpg
    WP_20160325_23_39_23_Pro_(resized).jpg
    science-dog1_(resized).jpg
    337fdc973ee7960404af000ced85f3be70aa2258165264b03643349aa86f9593_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lachied.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#130 8 years ago

I'm a software developer of 15 years so I'm writing my own framework in .net and haven't had to edit a single config file (my application does the work for me)
    I bought my Proc hardware over 3 years ago when there wasn't really any other options. I normally go for the underdog if I see it has a benefit (I'm still one of the few rocking a Windows Phone) and when Fast was announced I've been keen to see it develop.
    While the P3Roc uses the modular idea of putting switch boards under the playfield near switches I dont see that benefit outweighing the cost of buying all the additional boards versus the 16x8 switch matrix that I get as part of the Proc board. Especially considering I will be getting very close to using 128 switches on my machine.

What counts against the Fast hardware at the moment is the lack of documentation. From my perspective it seems that the people using the hardware at the moment have had direct interaction with the team or MPF guys to get it working. I'm in Australia so that isn't a possibility. Going to the Fast website I cant read up on what hardware I should get or how it all works together. I can figure a lot of stuff out for myself but if I ordered a bunch of Fast boards I would have no idea where to start, I don't see a support forum.

I think the biggest thing that Brian has done with MPF is good documentation and an easier to follow and install framework. The pyprocgame process has been difficult even for someone like me. So many dependencies that it's very easy for one to fail to install correctly and the whole system collapses. While the documentation is around it is very fragmented and spread between pdfs, wiki, forum.

Now that I have almost bagged everyone (How can it take Stern so long to make software? Surely they should have a system in place where all they have to do is link assets with modes, assign scores to modes/shots and then inherit/extend modes from base classes (modes) like multiball etc... Does anyone know what language they are using?) Ok. Now that is everyone.

Pinside has a lot of bitching. I spend most of my time in the custom threads as they tend to contain the most well reasoned discussions and some people are doing some seriously cool stuff. Obviously there is going to be debate between Proc and Fast as they are both going for the same small piece of turf. They both seem capable (I myself would like to see more examples of Fast in action before making a choice on my hardware for my second pin). I have personally used Proc and I can say that I have been quite happy with the hardware and was surprised how quickly I was able to get a pin flipping (getting past that is quite a task though).

Completely OT, how awesome are 3D printers?! First test print for my GoT Wall Lift ball lock.
    WP_20160325_23_39_23_Pro_(resized).jpgWP_20160325_23_39_23_Pro_(resized).jpg

#132 8 years ago
    Quoted from Bonnevil69:

Very Nice Print Lachied. I used to hate printers. Till i got one and it sure does help on some stuff
    But it will never replace me working with clay. I enjoy it too much

Yeah clay is just so relaxing. And you can put in so much more detail. I'm thinking about trying to 3D print mechanical forms for accuracy and correct dimensions, then cover in a layer of clay to sculpt finer detail.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lachied.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fast-or-p-roc-controllers?tu=lachied and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.