(Topic ID: 146373)

EPROM

By Baldwin0902

8 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

Hi guys I recently, got a new display for my data east pinball, when I remove the EPROM from the old display and put into the new display the Epsom was damaged. The display just went dark, I ordered a new EPROM from Marco and put it into the display and still nothing I realized the software on the new EPROM doesn't match the existing software will this cause everything to shut down

#2 8 years ago

Did you install your EPROM with the notch in the correct direction? If not, you have ruined the new EPROM.

There is a notch on one end of the EPROM, and a matching notch in the socket on the board it plugs into.

Review these instructions and see if they help:

http://thatpinballplace.com/documents/installing_eproms_de.html

My prices are better than Marcos on ROMs, I'd love your business in the future!

#3 8 years ago

Hi the original EPROM I instaled backwards and blew it out, ie: no lights on the display at all, called Marco and they sent me a replacement EPROM with software lv 1.6 on it. My old one has 1.3 in the cpu I powered it up and still nothing happened, I'm pretty sure that the software has to be the same from the cpu to the display right? I called Marco and now they are sending me the 1.3 eprom will this cause the display to not light up thanks for your help

#4 8 years ago

Probably should have left the 1.6 in the DMD and upgraded the CPU to 1.6.

And always watch the notch on the chip, never the label.

#5 8 years ago

Would a mismatched cpu chip and a display chip make the display not power up?
    I asked the guy at Marco about upgrading to the 1.6 and he said I would have to replace 5/6 chips I don't think that's right

#6 8 years ago

When it comes to powering up, the DMD software and the CPU software are independent.

So when you power up. First you will see the DMD software revision and the animation that goes with it. Then after that completes you would see the game animations.

If you get ZERO life, then it has zero to do with the CPU or its firmware level. It has all to do with something wrong on the DMD or lack of power to it.

If you get the DMD coming to life and it displays the DMD Firmware (Its the first thing that flashes, could say "Display Version xxx" or simply the game name "TMNT x.xx" revision but then goes blank when its time to display the CPU revision/ animations, then you have a cable disconnected/backwards, or something more sinister.

You did not mention the machine, but Hook, Lethal Weapon to name a couple only have 1 CPU rom. If you count Display, CPU and Sound you may have 5.

Not sure if mismatched cpu/display would leave you dark as I know if you had say, a Hook Eprom in the display, in a Leathal Weapon pin, you would see HOOK show up on initial power up, then during the game some animations would be 'Hook' where they should have been LW.

#7 8 years ago

What game are we discussing?

DE/Sega/Stern games like to have major revisions matching - example: 1.xx CPU with 1.xx display, 2.xx CPU with 2.xx Display. 1.xx CPU with 2.xx display may have incompatibilities.

So, a 1.3 CPU with 1.6 display would work fine.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/eprom-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.