Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by dmarston
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 months ago

Any idea on how many amps the average EM machine pulls? Can I play more than one at a time on a 15 amp circuit?
Thanks
Rob

#2 6 months ago

Yes you can play more than one at a time on a 15 amp circuit. You must be pretty skilled if you can play more than one
game at a time.

#3 6 months ago

Depends what you have on the circuit already that you'll need to take into consideration. On average they pull about 2.5A. I'd use that to determine games per circuit. 15A breaker at 80% is 12A. So, you'd be safe with probably 4 or 5. On a 20A circuit at 80% is 16A. So, around 6 or 7 games per circuit.

#4 6 months ago

I’ve got 6 lit up now all ready to play on a 15amp breaker. Never a problem.

#5 6 months ago

#6 6 months ago

Thank you for responding. Also loved the comment about being skilled to play more than one at a time.

#7 6 months ago

If you're planning to used a switched circuit or power strip to turn multiple games on at once beware that the initial or inrush current can be much higher than the nominal or steady state current (which is sometimes specified on the schematic). So the current required to turn on several games at the same time can be much higher than the current required turning on those same games one at a time.

More info at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inrush_current

/Mark

#8 6 months ago

While two flipper coils are moving through their hot-winding-only part of the stroke, I have measured a draw of over 6 amps for the game as a whole, with incandescent bulbs.
.................David Marston

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-machine-amps and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.