8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Archer600
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

photo_1_(resized).JPG
    photo_2_(resized).JPG
    #1 8 years ago

Received a game in a trade with a single slot coin door. Upon getting back home and looking inside I found this electronic coin mechanism. It plugs in by a ribbon cable into the coin door interface board.

photo_1_(resized).JPGphoto_1_(resized).JPG

photo_2_(resized).JPGphoto_2_(resized).JPG

It was the first time I've been able to sit down a fiddle around with an electronic coin mechanism for a pinball machine. As it didn't accept any Canadian coins, I was lucky enough dig up a US $1 and a US 25c coin. Sure enough, both US coins were accepted but it recognized them both with one pulse on the left coin switch line. In settings, by switching the dollar bill acceptor to be on the left switch line it correctly recognized the label on the front of the mechanism.

So it works, but my questions are:
    -Does anyone use these anymore (home or commercial operation) and what is it worth?
    -Can anyone explain how to re-program it to accept different coins?
    -What games had the appropriate socket for the ribbon cable on the coin door interface board? I have several WPC games that were overseas and only a couple seem to have the piece. Was it aftermarket?

#2 8 years ago

It's worth about $50.
    You need special equipment to reprogram it, or find someone who has it and is willing to do it.
    The connector on the wpc interface board came in 1993 or 94, but there is a cable for $3 at marcos available with a molex connector on one side for older boards.
    Maybe some American pinsider has a Canadian programmed coin validator and likes to exchange his for yours.
    All new Stern machines come one slotted to Germany, and those NRIs are very reliable.

#3 8 years ago

Thanks for the great info. I was hoping that with the 2 blank spots as described on the label, I would be able to teach it to accept CAD $1, and $2 coins. Instead I changed out the whole door with a 2 slot one with spot for a bill validator.

Are you able to utilize these electronic mechanisms alongside a bill validator, or 2 electronic mechanisms for a 2 slot coin door? As I had to adjust the dollar bill validator spot in settings to correspond to the coin switch line in order for it to recognize multiple pulses, this make me think it wouldn't work unless they were all on the same coin switch line?

It would be nice to have multiple electronic coin mechanisms as sometimes new players don't always catch that each coin slot only corresponds to a particular coin.

#4 8 years ago

I don't know anything about bill validators in pinball machines, because we don't use them over here.
    The electronic coin validator uses the same slots as mechanical validators. For example slot1, slot2 and slot3.
    Sometimes i use a three slot door and close two slots and use a electronic validator in the remaining slot programmed for three
    different coins.
    Start a new thread asking who can program NRIs or search the Internet for a Canadian distributer.

#5 8 years ago

Thanks, I never knew bill acceptors were not used in Europe. I could also cover the other slot, but I imagine with a little time and re-wiring you could get it to work with multiples or a bill acceptor. There are Canadian electronic mechanisms available which is why I was looking into it, but it still seems cheaper and easier to use the mechanical acceptors when using multiple slot coin doors with bill validators.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/electronic-coin-mechanism-questions and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.