Topic poll

“EBD vs HS”

• EBD 19 votes
    58%
  • HS 14 votes
    42%

(33 votes)

#1 5 months ago

Which is more fun/ challenging and will last longer in a collection?

#2 5 months ago

Tough call. EBD is a bit slower that's for sure and no multiball. High Speed is a good game, a typical Steve Richie game in that it's fast with a good multiball. I honestly have more fun with HS but EBD seems a bit tougher, particularly when it comes to making all the targets without draining. For a small collection, HS. If you have a few other pins and are looking for a great single level then EBD.

#3 5 months ago

I freaking love both pins.

High Speed if: You ever have guests over. High Speed is the easiest game in the world to explain to anyone, even little kids. The game is fun, its fast, and that side ramp is a hard shot if you are not used to it.

EBD if: Its just you playing your machines. Shooters dream with plenty to shoot for, although it plays a bit slower.

This is one of those situations where both games are great, and come up for sale often. If you move pins semi regularly, I'd go for the first deal that popped up. I personally would lean Eight Ball Deluxe, but man are both of these games great.

#4 5 months ago

EBD is more technical, but HS was pure adrenaline back in the day when it hit the bowling allies.

#5 5 months ago

I'll play devils advocate for you . I couldn't get rid of HS fast enough. It's a two shot game - saucer to feed the upper flipper and then hit the side ramp. No point or incentive to shoot for anything else. Repeat until you fall asleep. EBD is my favorite classic Bally game...just pure pinball fun.

#6 5 months ago

I currently own both machines and High Speed gets more play. It's simple but fun and I love the spinner/orbit shot. Eight Ball I play time to time but whenever I go near it I end up playing Centaur instead as they're side by side. Eight Ball Deluxe is the one game I've always been on the fence about parting with. I know the day I do I'll regret it but I just don't seem to be into it as much as others are. I got it pretty cheap a few years ago so it's not debt sitting around and I keep it because I keep thinking I'll get it any day now and realize how special it is. I'll say it's a better pinball machine than High Speed in terms of things to do but High Speed is just a blast.

On a side note I've owned Eight Ball, Eight Ball Deluxe and Eight Ball Champ at one point in time. Eight Ball Champ looks terrible but is actually pretty good as a pool themed pinball machine.

#7 5 months ago
Quoted from grantopia:

I'll play devils advocate for you . I couldn't get rid of HS fast enough. It's a two shot game - saucer to feed the upper flipper and then hit the side ramp. No point or incentive to shoot for anything else. Repeat until you fall asleep. EBD is my favorite classic Bally game...just pure pinball fun.

Freeways are super important for lighting inlanes, spinners, kickback, and extra balls. Pretty decent scoring too, especially with how often multiball can be lots of work for nothing.

#8 5 months ago
Quoted from astro_judge:

Freeways are super important for lighting inlanes, spinners, kickback, and extra balls. Pretty decent scoring too, especially with how often multiball can be lots of work for nothing.

I never found those things to matter much or be worth going for, but its all subjective. The saucer is safe and feeds the upper flipper and the ramp spots your locks and then feeds right back to the flipper. Do that over and over and there isn't much reason to bother with the kickback or the orbits which put the ball out of control. I don't hate the game or anything, just got pretty bored of it pretty fast since you can just ramp out over and over again...kind of like Earthshaker...you CAN hit the other shots in the game, but why bother?

#9 5 months ago
Quoted from grantopia:

No point or incentive to shoot for anything else. Repeat until you fall asleep.

Freeways are worth a shit ton. Upper ramp is easy on some machines for sure, but only 50k a hit. Plus rules can make a diff'rence.

Quoted from grantopia:

... EBD is my favorite classic Bally game...just pure pinball fun.

Left orbit allllllll day

I love them both

#10 5 months ago

Both are nice looking and fun to play for everyone. 1981 EBD cost more(start at 4k+) and will likely continue to jump in value over the HS(start at 2k+). I own both and both are great. Lots of memory drop targets. Super cool how it keeps track of each players downed targets. With new playfields they both have major color bling.
Hs is more of an adrenaline rush especially for new players. Great for car lovers.

#11 5 months ago
Quoted from grantopia:

I never found those things to matter much or be worth going for, but its all subjective. The saucer is safe and feeds the upper flipper and the ramp spots your locks and then feeds right back to the flipper. Do that over and over and there isn't much reason to bother with the kickback or the orbits which put the ball out of control. I don't hate the game or anything, just got pretty bored of it pretty fast since you can just ramp out over and over again...kind of like Earthshaker...you CAN hit the other shots in the game, but why bother?

You can play however you'd like obviously, but all four of these tournament players seem to prefer left loop to ramp combo and shatzing inlanes to light Freeway awards. Bonus points with multipliers is also pretty good value. Very dependent on how your game is setup (HS feels more fun when the kickback starts off tbh) but it's far from a one-trick-pony.

#12 5 months ago
Quoted from astro_judge:

You can play however you'd like obviously, but all four of these tournament players seem to prefer left loop to ramp combo and shatzing inlanes to light Freeway awards. Bonus points with multipliers is also pretty good value. Very dependent on how your game is setup (HS feels more fun when the kickback starts off tbh) but it's far from a one-trick-pony.

I’m not trying to get in an internet war about high speed but you’re kind of helping my point here. You have 4 of the world’s best players in your video…they are shatzing for points and hitting the side ramp. Again, I don’t know I’d have much fun at home on a game where you are shatzing all day to score instead of hitting the shots and having good rules but if you do then that’s all the matters if you own it. I burnt out on it real fast, but I’m also not a top 10 player in the world so YMMV.

Quoted from TheLaw:

Freeways are worth a shit ton. Upper ramp is easy on some machines for sure, but only 50k a hit. Plus rules can make a diff'rence.

Left orbit allllllll day
I love them both

The ramp spots locks though, so why would you ever shoot at the spot targets of death? EBD has ALL THE DROPS!!!

#13 4 months ago

I wouldn't trade my EBD for ten High Speeds.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Forest City, PA
11,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 179.00
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Orange, CA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ebd-vs-hs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.