View topic image gallery

image (14) (resized).png
image (resized).png
DDF-02.png
DDF-01.png
DDF-03.png
DDD_LAUNCH_Stream_HD (resized).jpeg
ddd_promo.png
There are 102 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 9 months ago

My first solo, third-party game for the P3, Dungeon Door Defender, is now officially available for purchase on the Multimorphic store. It runs exclusively on the Heist playfield module.

https://www.multimorphic.com/store/p3-game-kits/3rd-party-game-kits/dungeon-door-defender/

You can watch the game reveal tonight (8pm E) on Buffalo Pinball's twitch stream:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/multimorphic-p3-club/page/60#post-7767114

I've been working on this game in the background of other projects for years, and finally moved it up to the foreground for long enough to get the momentum going again. Thanks to the testing efforts and feedback from some really great folks, I'm so happy to be finally releasing this game for more people to experience.

While I've had the honor of working with awesome Multimorphic folks on some really stellar games, today's release still feels different... Hope you enjoy it!

ddd_promo.pngddd_promo.png

#2 9 months ago

Congratulations! Looking forward to the stream tonight!

#3 9 months ago

Looking forward to streaming this tonight!

http://www.twitch.tv/buffalopinball

DDD_LAUNCH_Stream_HD (resized).jpegDDD_LAUNCH_Stream_HD (resized).jpeg
#4 9 months ago

I love tower defense games! Combining this with pinball has potential. What is the price the game? Will the stream eventually make it to youtube?

#5 9 months ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

I love tower defense games! Combining this with pinball has potential. What is the price the game? Will the stream eventually make it to youtube?

$199

#6 9 months ago

Pending the stream I'm probably in. I bought the P3 for Weird Al, got Heist and CCR to mix up the playfields. CCR isn't for me but I've really been enjoying Heist. Am genuinely interested to see what other games would work on that module. $199 for a new pinball experience can't be beat.

#7 9 months ago

I will upload the stream to our YouTube channel, and the VOD will be available on Twitch immediately after the stream

#8 9 months ago

Congrats man

#9 9 months ago

In! Now if I could just get home to install and play it. Stupid work getting in the way of fun again.. lol

#10 9 months ago

Congrats!

#11 9 months ago

An hour to go, right? If my time zone skills are on point.

#13 9 months ago

I’m not sure what a tower defense game is, but I guess I’ll find out when I check out the stream. Congratulations Michael!

#14 8 months ago

Is there any sort of shorter "trailer" available? I'm not super interested in watching an hour+ long video (although I started to), but I'd love to see a summary of what the game is like.

#15 8 months ago

Defend the Dungeon Doors, now on YouTube. Feel free to watch as much or as little as you like!

#16 8 months ago
Quoted from arcyallen:

Is there any sort of shorter "trailer" available? I'm not super interested in watching an hour+ long video (although I started to), but I'd love to see a summary of what the game is like.

No short video at this time, but if you jump to 8:50 you can hear me describe the gist of the game during Kevin's first play on stream. You can probably just watch a few minutes from there and get the high level concept:

Also the longer description on the store is an accurate summary:

https://www.multimorphic.com/store/p3-game-kits/3rd-party-game-kits/dungeon-door-defender/

I'm really grateful to Kevin for streaming the P3 and for streaming my game. It is awesome that anyone who is on the fence is able to see exactly what they are getting.

#17 8 months ago

Super excited and just ordered the module on the multimorphic website. However... now that I've ordered I cannot figure out how to get it on my machine. I have Heist installed and don't see a place for it in the menu or in the app menu. Is there someplace specific I should be looking for it? Thanks!

#18 8 months ago

Someone from Multimorphic has to do something on their end I'm pretty sure. Since it's after business hours you might be waiting until tomorrow. But, it will be in the system manager to download when they approve it.

#19 8 months ago

Is there someplace specific I should be looking for it? Thanks!

As jtgribble says, if connected to WiFi on your P3, it will appear in System Manager->Install Applications->From multimorphic.com . Once selected, you will need to build the application for your P3. This can take up to 15 minutes. The word 'build' will change to 'install', at which point you will be able to download and install.

If you would like to install manually via USB, this is also an option. Log onto multimorphic.com, click the Software link on the left side of the page displayed when you log in, then scroll to find Dungeon Door Defender in the list of software specific to your P3. Click the Build link. Again, this may take up to 15 minutes. Once the package is built, click "download" and then save to the root of a USB drive.

Once it is on the USB drive, plug into the USB port on the left side when your coin door is open, then go to System Manager->Install Applications->From USB. This will allow you to select the DDD package that you downloaded, and install.

The game does need to be linked to your account to show up in the list of applications. This is usually a quick process, but sometimes can take a bit longer.

#20 8 months ago
Quoted from jtgribble:

Someone from Multimorphic has to do something on their end I'm pretty sure. Since it's after business hours you might be waiting until tomorrow. But, it will be in the system manager to download when they approve it.

Quoted from bingopodcast:

As jtgribble says, if connected to WiFi on your P3, it will appear in System Manager->Install Applications->From multimorphic.com . Once selected, you will need to build the application for your P3. This can take up to 15 minutes. The word 'build' will change to 'install', at which point you will be able to download and install.
If you would like to install manually via USB, this is also an option. Log onto multimorphic.com, click the Software link on the left side of the page displayed when you log in, then scroll to find Dungeon Door Defender in the list of software specific to your P3. Click the Build link. Again, this may take up to 15 minutes. Once the package is built, click "download" and then save to the root of a USB drive.
Once it is on the USB drive, plug into the USB port on the left side when your coin door is open, then go to System Manager->Install Applications->From USB. This will allow you to select the DDD package that you downloaded, and install.
The game does need to be linked to your account to show up in the list of applications. This is usually a quick process, but sometimes can take a bit longer.

Super excited and just ordered the module on the multimorphic website. However... now that I've ordered I cannot figure out how to get it on my machine. I have Heist installed and don't see a place for it in the menu or in the app menu. Is there someplace specific I should be looking for it? Thanks!

Got it!

There was an application to download in my system manager this morning. Installing now. Thanks!

#21 8 months ago

Very early review/synopsis of Dungeon Door Defender based on exactly 20 minutes of gameplay from someone who likes most (but not all P3 stuff).

I like it! It is pinballish, but does not feel like real pinball. It is a game that works very well on the platform.

Basically it works like this: You are defending a door to a dungeon. At the beginning of every level, monsters spawn and walk towards your dungeon door, represented roughly by the Heist prison door. If a monster reaches the door, it will attack it. The door has hit points, and each second the monster is at the dungeon door the dungeon door loses some health. If the health bar reaches 0, you die and the game is over. If you drain a ball the dungeon door loses some health.

Monsters can be defeated by attacking them (hitting them with a ball... these are virtual monsters on the screen), or by summoning a mage/knight/rougue by hitting a ramp. These heroes can be summoned by hitting specific spots in the Heist playfield (mostly ramps). While summoned these heroes continuously attack the monsters, and can be healed by hitting the ramps or targets that summoned them.

Each round has a certain number of monsters you must defend against. Monsters are different and become progressively harder in further waves. Inbetween each round you get the opportunity to spend gold you earned from defeating monsters to upgrade your heroes, attack power, or repair the door.

There is a risk reward element as you can save up your money in earlier rounds to upgrade your characters more, but doing so leaves you vulnerable during earlier rounds. Different monsters behave differently. There is a magic system and some other things like rotating lanes I'm still learning about, but in my first 3 games this is what I've discovered.

#22 8 months ago

I'm digging this game. It would be nice if there were some options to adjust difficulty. The ghost is brutal for my kids. Being able to adjust the damage caused by the ghost would be nice a nice adjustment.

How many waves are there in the game? I've made it to 8 so far.

#23 8 months ago

Thank you for picking up the game and thanks for the feedback and comments.

One correction:

Any enemy who hits your door will do only their attack amount of damage --no more. You don't have to worry about a single attacker bringing your door down to 0 health because they have been left there too long, instead it's based on their attack power. Enemies in successive waves may be faster, have faster recovery, more health and more attack power.

About not feeling like pinball, well you might feel differently after you play it more. At least I hope you do!

By shooting shots you can spawn and heal the heroes, as you've noted. The side targets release a volley of arrows, and the standups (and lanes) collect gold. You could make for a less heavy virtual targets play style (ie, "more pinball") by focusing on these elements and investing in upgrading those elements between waves.

One way to look at it is that it's a tower defense video game with pinball controls. In tower defense you are often limited by your reflexes or the decisions you make, but here everything is controlled by skillfully playing pinball and the occasional luck of the chaotic action of the ball.

A different way to look at it is that it is first and foremost a pinball game, but the motivation to hit shots and which shots you should hit, are dictated by the rules and events of a tower defense video game.

The tower defense elements (repairs, upgrades, and level progression) are not very traditional pinball, but as a person who loves both pinball and video games, I think this merger is really fun. These are the elements that make me love video games. I want them in pinball sometimes too

I hope you that as you play it and explore it a bit more, you enjoy it!

Thanks again!

#24 8 months ago
Quoted from Kwaheltrut:

I'm digging this game. It would be nice if there were some options to adjust difficulty. The ghost is brutal for my kids. Being able to adjust the damage caused by the ghost would be nice a nice adjustment.
How many waves are there in the game? I've made it to 8 so far.

This is the second request for an easier mode of play for kids. I have an idea that might be relatively simple to code that would allow easier rules but not spoil the end game scenario. My only reluctance has been spoiling the last room for people with an easy mode. I also have some detailed plans for a potential update with artifacts that make elements of the game easier (or harder). Even if I don't do all of the crazy artifact ideas, an artifact that dispells the drain ghosts is very likely to appear in a future update.

As for number of waves, the high scores table for waves cleared goes up to 13.

#25 8 months ago
Quoted from Mocean:

My only reluctance has been spoiling the last room for people with an easy mode.

I just bought the game and plan on downloading and playing tonight. One possible way to address this would be to have the last room unavailable on the easy mode and instead it would just go back to the start in normal mode.

#26 8 months ago
Quoted from Kwaheltrut:

I'm digging this game. It would be nice if there were some options to adjust difficulty. The ghost is brutal for my kids.

Please please *please* take note of this in general: My kid's friends come over a *lot* to play pinball, and they are always intrigued by the new P3 game I have just gotten, and almost without fail, they play it, declare it's "too hard" and don't go back to it. This occurs on EVERY P3 game except ROCs. This isn't a pinball vs video games thing, it's specific to the P3. The kids are about 12-14

I have not figured out what it is but I'm wondering if there's something to do with the light show and fanfare on other games where you can start a multiball or have a little light show play fairly easily. I think this new game will draw some attention because I know they all play stuff on the iPad like Plants and Zombies (I had to learn that "Tower Defense" games are a lot like one of my old favorites, Rampart). I'm curious to see the reaction on this one.

#27 8 months ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Please please *please* take note of this in general: My kid's friends come over a *lot* to play pinball, and they are always intrigued by the new P3 game I have just gotten, and almost without fail, they play it, declare it's "too hard" and don't go back to it. This occurs on EVERY P3 game except ROCs. This isn't a pinball vs video games thing, it's specific to the P3. The kids are about 12-14
I have not figured out what it is but I'm wondering if there's something to do with the light show and fanfare on other games where you can start a multiball or have a little light show play fairly easily. I think this new game will draw some attention because I know they all play stuff on the iPad like Plants and Zombies (I had to learn that "Tower Defense" games are a lot like one of my old favorites, Rampart). I'm curious to see the reaction on this one.

Adjust the outlanes and/or put the center post in when the kids come over?

#28 8 months ago

I'm a lurker of p3 System by monitoring what gets released and tracking its progress. I still have yet to play one in the wild and still looking.
Seeing Kevin's stream about this game has got me further interested in p3.

This games gives me a feeling of a glorified iPad game, but the controls are integrated well with pinball. This statement is not meant to be received as negative, rather myself trying to relate to what I am observing. Digital games often resemble other games and that is what I am reminded of when I watched the stream.

However, there are plenty of great things I see about this game. It's awesome to see the game react as the ball rolls over the characters, how making ramp shots impacts your game. Bridging the gap between pinball/gaming was thoughtfully considered and glad it was executed.

So, depending on the players accuracy this game has limitless experiences which is a good thing.

Incorporating character/item inventory system adds new elements to this game that p3 was designed for. It creates a new adventure that has strategic methods to play the game differently each time.

To me... this would allow replayability factor that peeks my interest compared to other digital games p3 offers.

At least this is my observations based on the stream. I cannot wait to get ahold of a p3 system in the future.

#29 8 months ago

Awful video and walk through of complete amateur game with less than 10 games in. I think it's worth it.

#30 8 months ago

I downloaded it last night and played for about an hour. I really enjoyed it. It makes use of some of the unique capabilities of the P3 and it is also completely different from anything else out there. My only complaints:

1) Would benefit from callouts

2) Would love to play this multiplayer. I understand this can't be done like a traditional pinball game where it goes to the next player after a ball is played. That said, it could go to the next player after a level is completed.

#31 8 months ago
Quoted from twenty84:

I downloaded it last night and played for about an hour. I really enjoyed it. It makes use of some of the unique capabilities of the P3 and it is also completely different from anything else out there. My only complaints:
2) Would love to play this multiplayer. I understand this can't be done like a traditional pinball game where it goes to the next player after a ball is played. That said, it could go to the next player after a level is completed.

I agree, these would be great features for this game.

#32 8 months ago

It was between Heist, Drained, and Final Resistance with my P3. This just put Heist as the one.

#33 8 months ago

Awful video and walk through of complete amateur game with less than 10 games in. I think it's worth it.

I finally had a chance to watch your whole video after work today. It is extremely gratifying to be able to see people playing this game, enjoying it, and noticing the design/strategy elements that I've been toying with so much by myself for a very long time now.

Three comments:
1. In that last game you played on wave 9 when you didn't repair the door at 1hp because "anything would one shot you" --I was so afraid you were going to drain and lose the door because you didn't have enough health to cover a drain.
2. Edit: skip this one. I thought you might have nudged the machine without a tilt warning but instead I think just the camera got whacked.
3. You had some good games there, so I'm not sure about your self-titled amauteur rank! Wave 9 is really far.

Thank you so much for sharing this and for buying the game!

#34 8 months ago

What are you using to record? I have some mic stands I converted to phone for some streaming I did for work but don’t want to drop money on a full setup, but I like this one camera and commentary. I think that could be helpful for a ton of p3 games. Specially D^3 for strategy etc

#35 8 months ago
Quoted from northvibe:

What are you using to record? I have some mic stands I converted to phone for some streaming I did for work but don’t want to drop money on a full setup, but I like this one camera and commentary. I think that could be helpful for a ton of p3 games. Specially D^3 for strategy etc

I'm about $20 in using my phone on a flexible mount attached to the backbox. Something similar to this. https://www.amazon.com/Cell-Phone-Clip-Stand-Holder/dp/B079QY6RFQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_4

Phone is a nice S23 ultra.

#36 8 months ago
Quoted from KevInBuffalo:

Adjust the outlanes and/or put the center post in when the kids come over?

I mean, sure - but really no I’m not going to do that.

I think there’s more to it than that, it’s multiballs balls ending IMMEDIATELY on a drain where another ball in motion may be going up a ramp, but the shot isn’t counted, a lesser grace period to accommodate errant bouncing around. I’m of course comparing to Stern code -
But I think there is some merit since there is so much more to these games Nowadays, if it’s hard to get something started, there should be a little more time to engage in/enjoy it. I’m bummed the kids don’t get to see as much of the P3 stuff - im starting to think they gravitate to the Stern games because of the light integration. Anyway, Im not trying to bring the thread down, it’s just direct observable behavior and I’m not suggesting P3 games should be more like Stern, but I mean we WANT more interest, right ?

#37 8 months ago
Quoted from twenty84:

I would be quite happy to offer my VO services !

#38 8 months ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I think there’s more to it than that, it’s multiballs balls ending IMMEDIATELY on a drain where another ball in motion may be going up a ramp, but the shot isn’t counted, a lesser grace period to accommodate errant bouncing around. I’m of course comparing to Stern code -

I feel like this strays pretty far off topic since DDD doesn't have a multiball in the current release, and I don't want to blur lines here since this game is a 3rd party release.

That said, the P3 games I've worked on for Multimorphic absolutely have ball savers on Multiball, some of them have very short savers, I don't recall if any of them have no saver at all. Grace period awards for a shot registered right after a multiball ends is a good topic for elsewhere, but ... I'm skeptical that this is something your little kids are complaining about

When my son was a lot younger we discussed how he would get more frustrated playing some P3 games compared to other games in our collection. My understanding after really observing him was that he was more immersed in the P3 games because of the screen integration and could better understand when he was losing in P3 games. He had a strong reaction when his ship sunk in Cannon Lagoon. Eventually, he was over the moon when he faced and almost defeated the kraken.

Now as an older pre-teen, DDD is one of my son's favorite pinball games (despite the fact that I made it). He complains about the drain ghosts too, but as his dad, I get a lot of complaints.

Here, as the game designer and developer, I'm trying to find the right balance. I concede that the drain penalty might be high for really little kids. Honestly the out lanes are probably the best option right now because you can do that today without waiting for an update from me.

As I think about where players would want me to spend time on updates, I have to figure out how to prioritize requests to make the most people happy. It is so much easier when Gerry just tells me what to do!

#39 8 months ago
Quoted from Mocean:

I feel like this strays pretty far off topic since DDD doesn't have a multiball in the current release, and I don't want to blur lines here since this game is a 3rd party release.
That said, the P3 games I've worked on for Multimorphic absolutely have ball savers on Multiball, some of them have very short savers, I don't recall if any of them have no saver at all. Grace period awards for a shot registered right after a multiball ends is a good topic for elsewhere, but ... I'm skeptical that this is something your little kids are complaining about
When my son was a lot younger we discussed how he would get more frustrated playing some P3 games compared to other games in our collection. My understanding after really observing him was that he was more immersed in the P3 games because of the screen integration and could better understand when he was losing in P3 games. He had a strong reaction when his ship sunk in Cannon Lagoon. Eventually, he was over the moon when he faced and almost defeated the kraken.
Now as an older pre-teen, DDD is one of my son's favorite pinball games (despite the fact that I made it). He complains about the drain ghosts too, but as his dad, I get a lot of complaints.
Here, as the game designer and developer, I'm trying to find the right balance. I concede that the drain penalty might be high for really little kids. Honestly the out lanes are probably the best option right now because you can do that today without waiting for an update from me.
As I think about where players would want me to spend time on updates, I have to figure out how to prioritize requests to make the most people happy. It is so much easier when Gerry just tells me what to do!

You’re right - this is off topic, and even more so because I want to make it clear I did not mean to apply this rather broad brush to DDD, and should have put it elsewhere.

I do agree with you about CL - it’s pretty clear what’s going on in that game. That said, the teenagers are very much NOT interested in that game any long

I’ll take this elsewhere, it’s not appropriate to lay this down here - I’m super impressed with this game and FR and the other work you’re doing.

#40 8 months ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

You’re right - this is off topic, and even more so because I want to make it clear I did not mean to apply this rather broad brush to DDD, and should have put it elsewhere.
I do agree with you about CL - it’s pretty clear what’s going on in that game. That said, the teenagers are very much NOT interested in that game any long
I’ll take this elsewhere, it’s not appropriate to lay this down here - I’m super impressed with this game and FR and the other work you’re doing.

Ack, now I'm afraid I've come off as defensive. For sure we all want the same thing: what's best for the platform and to make all of the games on the P3 the best they can be so everyone enjoys them as much as possible. Yes, bug me (with my MM hat on) for MB grace periods in the threads for the games where we are not giving them to you. Here you should be bugging me (no MM hat) to give you a DDD multiball

Thanks again for the kind words. I'm glad people are enjoying the games!

#41 8 months ago
Quoted from MegaFeenix:

It was between Heist, Drained, and Final Resistance with my P3. This just put Heist as the one.</blockquote

What I would ask for is the ability to adjust the drain penalty from something like 0-5. Not change it for the entire game, but for it to be a setting.

#42 8 months ago
Quoted from Mocean:

I feel like this strays pretty far off topic since DDD doesn't have a multi-ball in the current release, and I don't want to blur lines here since this game is a 3rd party release.

Once in wave 6 I had 2 balls in play. I wasn't sure how I did this and I wasn't streaming that game so I can't go back and look. At the time I thought maybe it was a feature, but now it sounds like it was some kind of a bug.

When playing on stream Thursday night I would get this bug where a weak shot to the inner loop would cause the ball to end up i the scoop and get lost. It would do a ball search but would mostly just mess around with the scoops just below the playfield module and would take a long time to actually eject the ball. The monsters would keep attacking during ball search which wasn't ideal. After restarting the game everything seemed to register OK and I didn't have the issue.

One thing I like on this game is code seems to support the speaker lights and Weird Al topper lights. It would be great if this support could be extended to Heist.

Quoted from Kwaheltrut:

What I would ask for is the ability to adjust the drain penalty from something like 0-5. Not change it for the entire game, but for it to be a setting.

I agree with this. I realize that we can adjust the out lanes, but it really isn't practical when you have a system that supports different games to also adjust out lane settings between games. There should be some software settings to adjust difficulty also.

#43 8 months ago

Had a lot of great games last night on DDD; I was thinking it would be a bit like Scoot n Shoot but it is definitely not at all! Still learning about when the game ends, I have not quite picked up on that!

What’s the best way players have found to get more money? I’m curious about the best upgrades - have been going mostly for the ball upgrades

#44 8 months ago
Quoted from twenty84:

I agree with this. I realize that we can adjust the out lanes, but it really isn't practical when you have a system that supports different games to also adjust out lane settings between games. There should be some software settings to adjust difficulty also.

Well said. There are definitely different settings depending on the games - and because some games have a kickback/extra ball (Lexy) and others don’t (say, Heist), there are so many variables. I agree adjusting the outlane width is not practical for every game. Just to get TO the nut to adjust, you have to loosen and move or remove the return wireform. It’s easy of course but totally impractical for each game IMO

Anyway, enjoying DDD quite and bit and glad to have 2 new reasons to put Heist back in!

#45 8 months ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Had a lot of great games last night on DDD; I was thinking it would be a bit like Scoot n Shoot but it is definitely not at all! Still learning about when the game ends, I have not quite picked up on that!
What’s the best way players have found to get more money? I’m curious about the best upgrades - have been going mostly for the ball upgrades

I tend to build up my door when I can as the game ends when the door gets to zero and each drained ball takes off 3. You can collect coins on the in lanes by moving them around (anterior flipper button) so the ball runs over sliver coils (the gold ones are previously collected and not worth anything which is a little counter intuitive).

At the end of the wave I'm still not sure if it is better to hit the gate right away to get the bonus gold or to use extra time to hit stand ups and try to get more gold.

There are some features on the playfield that don't seem to do anything (e.g. spinner, pops). That is partly the nature of using a playfield module that was designed for a different game but could be cool if these could be used also.

#46 8 months ago
Quoted from twenty84:

I tend to build up my door when I can as the game ends when the door gets to zero and each drained ball takes off 3. You can collect coins on the in lanes by moving them around (anterior flipper button) so the ball runs over sliver coils (the gold ones are previously collected and not worth anything which is a little counter intuitive).
At the end of the wave I'm still not sure if it is better to hit the gate right away to get the bonus gold or to use extra time to hit stand ups and try to get more gold.
There are some features on the playfield that don't seem to do anything (e.g. spinner, pops). That is partly the nature of using a playfield module that was designed for a different game but could be cool if these could be used also.

The inlanes seem to be the best way so far - I focused on that last night and was able to build up quite a bit. I wouldn’t mind if the spinner did something eventually but I was kind of glad it didn’t have a major focus in the game, since that’s more of a Silver Falls strategy - I.E. rip the spinner, buy stuff, repeat. Good choice going another route, IMO.

I do think I must need to check my LED grid though, there are certain areas of the playfield that don’t seem to register rollovers. I need to figure out how to get those ribbon cables pulled more taut

#47 8 months ago
Quoted from twenty84:

Once in wave 6 I had 2 balls in play. I wasn't sure how I did this and I wasn't streaming that game so I can't go back and look. At the time I thought maybe it was a feature, but now it sounds like it was some kind of a bug.

When playing on stream Thursday night I would get this bug where a weak shot to the inner loop would cause the ball to end up i the scoop and get lost. It would do a ball search but would mostly just mess around with the scoops just below the playfield module and would take a long time to actually eject the ball. The monsters would keep attacking during ball search which wasn't ideal. After restarting the game everything seemed to register OK and I didn't have the issue.

I will try to reproduce the issue with a slow roller on the inner orbit. Thanks. Hopefully there's just a silly easily found bug here.

As for the accidental multiball you saw: Are your launch tubes nicely aligned on Heist? Do you get clean fast launches on the first try every time, or do you get launch retries? This is the first report of this that I have seen.

Quoted from twenty84:

I hear everyone on wanting the game to have an easier option, particularly an adjustable drain penalty.

In my defense: the game is the result of a lot of time and a lot of tweaking of various elements. This game has more going on than it might seem at first. Game balance is tricky, and try as I might, I freely acknowlegde that one size does not easily fit all.

The first few door repairs are intentionally priced low, and the repair values cover more than a single drain. A player will absolutely need to purchase upgrades in the shop to survive farther and farther into the game, and in those later levels no one element wins those waves, it will be a combination of factors. There are a lot of elements I'm trying here which allow the player to combine their own awareness of their pinball skill with a strategy for play (e.g., allowing the player to invest in upgrading shots that they know they can make).

My primary hope is that people enjoy the game when they play it. I want the game to keep players wanting to play "just one more." I want players to feel awesome for getting to a farther wave than ever before, and even if it is annoying to lose, I want players to still feel like jumping back in and trying again --and to be motivated to experiment with different items and strategies. If you're finding yourself frustrated and not wanting to play it again, then that's obviously not what I'm going for and I need to rethink the balance!

I have plans for an update that will add more depth to the game and will provide more ways to shift the balance in the player's favor. I also have ideas for different difficulties and modes of play. Lots of ideas, limited time, but plenty of motivation. Should work out ok

Quoted from twenty84:

You can collect coins on the in lanes by moving them around (anterior flipper button) so the ball runs over sliver coils (the gold ones are previously collected and not worth anything which is a little counter intuitive).

Interesting. I modelled this after older games where the lanes light when you roll over them and you get a bonus for completing them. To me this was intuitive. Maybe there's something I can do here to make that more obvious.

Quoted from twenty84:

Certainly less risk of draining if you go right for the gate, but then again you have unlimited time to farm gold. Coupled with the inlanes, you could earn a lot between waves, but you risk losing door health for a drain.

Quoted from twenty84:

Agreed! Hopefully soon.

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Just to get TO the nut to adjust, you have to loosen and move or remove the return wireform. It’s easy of course but totally impractical for each game IMO

You can use a small open ended wrench and then you don't need to remove the wireforms to adjust the outlanes.

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Anyway, enjoying DDD quite and bit and glad to have 2 new reasons to put Heist back in!

Awesome! Glad to hear it!

Thanks to everyone for their feedback!!

#48 8 months ago
Quoted from Mocean:

You can use a small open ended wrench and then you don't need to remove the wireforms to adjust the outlanes.

Well, crap.

Give the game time to settle in, it will start to make more sense as more people play it longer, and what the ideal change might be.. might change!

#49 8 months ago

There are two adjustments that can be made around the outlanes. One is to pivot the rubber rings at the base of the side target to open or close the access to the outlanes, but there are also posts at the top of the inlane guides on the flipper assembly that can be adjusted to a few different locations. Posts closer to the inlane guides will open the outlanes more, or the posts could be removed completely as well if you want to be a little more brutal.

#50 8 months ago

Does anyone know how to get an official pinside entry for Dungeon Door Defender? Do we rate one?

Still enjoying things.

As a suggestion to improve an excellent game, I would recommend changing the side targets from shooting arrows to shooting rocks, fire, ice... anything else. I can't see them flying across the screen and it was only when watching a recording that I could see them. The animations are just too small.

Thanks!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Plastics
Chrome Candy

There are 102 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dungeon-door-defender-new-downloadable-game-for-the-p3-now-available-/ and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.