(Topic ID: 178855)

Does Stern Modify or Fix Design Issues During Production?

By Allibaster

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by bhwolf
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

If a game is initially released with physical design issues, do those issues get resolved in later production runs?

I haven't been following any Stern design issues in particular, but I'm wondering if there's any design advantages to buying a newer runs of a game rather than earlier runs.

#2 7 years ago

Yes, but there will usually be a kit for early owners to fix/update their games. For example, Spider-Man had a small guide piece changed that went behind Sandman. New ones were sent to early buyers. Metallica LE/Prem had its magnet board redesigned. New boards were sent out. On GB, Slimer's mech was redesigned - although I heard that getting a replacement for that was a bit trickier.

#3 7 years ago

Any quality manufacturer will address issues, and Stern is no different. The new GB pins come out with several different pieces that were not on the initial runs (but were mailed out to the buyers) such as the Ecto Goggles airball deflector, wire-form strengthener, etc. Pins later in the runs are usually more hardened.

#4 7 years ago

Yeah, that's what I figured. I just haven't heard much about it.

I'm kind of thinking I might like to find a TWD or GB for my collection and am considering HUO vs NIB. If pricing is within a couple hundred, I'd probably prefer a NIB that includes some of the updates over an early run HUO. NIB has it's own risks, though. It's too bad Stern has been experiencing some CQ issues lately.

#5 7 years ago

Yes, a good example of this would be the Iron Monger design on IM. They changed it during the initial run. Also the Silmer Mech on GB.

#6 7 years ago

there was a fix for the hulk figure on avengers too

#7 7 years ago
    Quoted from Tilt:

there was a fix for the hulk figure on avengers too

Any info on this would be appreciated. What was changed?

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from Manimal:

Any quality manufacturer will address issues, and Stern is no different

Said no Pinsider ever

#9 7 years ago

While they do fix some items, they sometimes don't despite saying they are working on a solution, like what happened with the GoT Pre/LE elevator diverter.

The worst part about it was that eventually, the fix that came was a code fix that essentially shut off the feature, and any questions or comments went completely unanswered (to this day). What pisses me off about Stern is they refuse to communicate anything on the issue, at all.

I don't expect perfection -- but how hard would it be to say, "We analyzed the problem, and unfortunately we cannot design a reasonable solution as distributable kit." (Of course, that would've been BS in the GoT case, because plenty of people, myself included, were able to fix the issue with a little work.)

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/does-stern-modify-or-fix-design-issues-during-production and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.