(Topic ID: 182897)

Do I buy a NIB GB Pro or ST Pro. Please advise.

By Ericc123

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Who-Dey
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which Pin Should I Buy NIB”

• Star Trek Pro 40 votes
    63%
  • Ghost Busters Pro 24 votes
    38%

(64 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3305 (resized).PNG
IMG_3304 (resized).PNG
IMG_3304 (resized).PNG
#1 7 years ago

First off, let me say thank you in advance. I'm sure you guys are sick and tired of the which should I buy threads, but this has me really stressed out and it's too much money not to at least try to get the best one. My thoughts/concerns:

*I know that Ghost Busters has had some quality control issues
*I've read in other threads that GB is a hard/challenging game and I'm not very good at pinball yet
*If I decide on a Star Trek I'm concerned about availability because there really don't appear to be many NIB left
*Star Trek's sound effects seem like they could get annoying, and I like the Ghost Busters theme song, but I'm more concerned with a fun playing pin.
*Star Trek is the better rated pin on the Pinside top 100 list.

Again thank you and any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

#3 7 years ago

Yeah those are for Premium/LE games and I can't afford that. I know the Pro models are very different games because they are missing some features.

#4 7 years ago

GB pro play is very similar to premium and LE. I've played 3 different GBLe's and 4 different pros. i went with the GB pro and i am very happy with my purchase!
i have played two different ST pro's and yes they were both fun.
id say if your a die hard trekie then ST pro otherwise the GB pro is a great bang for your buck and will make you a better player!
GLWYD

#5 7 years ago

I own both and they are completely different beasts. If you like quick pace flow and a bit of an easier to understand layout and rules I would go ST. If you love the GB theme and somewhat unconventional gameplay (right ramp pull back shot) and like a challenge then GB is for you.

Ghostbuster needs a shaker motor and the pinball universe outlane guides at the very least to get you going. Ièd also get the airball protector from day one. The back mirror is a nice touch to see the ball going into the lanes at the top. GB will make you a better player in the long run because you have to nudge and work the game to not drain.

Star Trek - you need the vengeance mod form beastmaster, shaker motor at the very least.

You can probably get a nice HUO star trek and at the very least you couold opt for the GB HUO that you are sure wont have any ghosting.

My 2 cents.

#6 7 years ago

ST Pro. Better flow, better shots, upper flipper, better rules, less cheap drains.

#7 7 years ago

If there is anywhere near you at all that has these machines....even if you have to drive a good ways, then go play them both for at least an hour each and make your decision. They are both great pins so your probably not going to go wrong with either really. Star Trek is a bit easier for sure but GB is a very fun experience also. Which theme do you like the best?

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

If there is anywhere near you at all that has these machines....even if you have to drive a good ways, then go play them both for at least an hour each and make your decision. They are both great pins so your probably not going to go wrong with either really. Star Trek is a bit easier for sure but GB is a very fun experience also. Which theme do you like the best?

Unfortunately no, or at least not that I'm aware of. I've played Star Trek before at conventions but always very rushed and with so much noise I couldn't really hear the sound. I've never seen a Ghost Busters in person. Theme wise I think I prefer Star Trek but my wife prefers Ghost Busters.

#9 7 years ago

The correct answer is always Met pro

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from Ericc123:

Unfortunately no, or at least not that I'm aware of. I've played Star Trek before at conventions but always very rushed and with so much noise I couldn't really hear the sound. I've never seen a Ghost Busters in person. Theme wise I think I prefer Star Trek but my wife prefers Ghost Busters.

I thought there was some pretty good barcodes in PA? Even if u had to drive 75-100 miles it would be worth it to make a informed purchase. Players who aren't good at pinball could get frustrated with GB, I will say that right now. Gotta be one around you somewhere surely........

#11 7 years ago

Both are great games but GB Pro is a bit better and more fun than ST pro.

#12 7 years ago

Would get GB pro all day long over ST pro...

#13 7 years ago

This is a touch choice cause I much prefer STLE/Prem over the pro. The light show and flow is much better. I had an stle at one time and nearly picked up a pro cause I missed it, but I just couldn't get into the missing light show and horrible right vuk. So for that alone, I would go GB pro.

#14 7 years ago

I'm the OP from the other thread that is discussing this very issue but with the premium models. I plan on going to a pinball and arcade place two hours away to play both and put them both through there paces to make an educated decision. I believe playing them both any way you can will be the only way to tell which one you really want. After I have an opportunity to try both, I will share my thoughts with you.

#15 7 years ago

Tough call as they are both excellent machines. But as you mentioned they are no longer making ST since the license has expired. That would make me lean that way if you want NIB. You can always get a GB Pro a couple years from now. Of course the wisest thing is to play both and get the one you like best.

#16 7 years ago

ST Pro and never look back. The premium may be a harder choice, but in the Pro ST is a huge winner. GB Pro isn't fit to carry ST Pros jock.

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

ST Pro and never look back. The premium may be a harder choice, but in the Pro ST is a huge winner. GB Pro isn't fit to carry ST Pros jock.

I don't know know about all that....

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I thought there was some pretty good barcodes in PA? Even if u had to drive 75-100 miles it would be worth it to make a informed purchase. Players who aren't good at pinball could get frustrated with GB, I will say that right now. Gotta be one around you somewhere surely........

Seriously... if you're in Pittsburgh or even Pittsburgh area, there are tons of places that have both of these games.

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from valgalder:

Seriously... if you're in Pittsburgh or even Pittsburgh area, there are tons of places that have both of these games.

Such as?

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from Orko:

I'm the OP from the other thread that is discussing this very issue but with the premium models. I plan on going to a pinball and arcade place two hours away to play both and put them both through there paces to make an educated decision. I believe playing them both any way you can will be the only way to tell which one you really want. After I have an opportunity to try both, I will share my thoughts with you.

Thank you I'd really appreciate that.

#21 7 years ago

IMG_3304 (resized).PNGIMG_3304 (resized).PNG
IMG_3305 (resized).PNGIMG_3305 (resized).PNG

IMG_3304 (resized).PNGIMG_3304 (resized).PNG

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I don't know know about all that....

I'm glad some people disagree with me. Otherwise every game would be the same, which would be boring.

#23 7 years ago

What app is that?

#24 7 years ago

Pinball Map.

(Also sorry for the duplicate picture, for some reason, Pinside won't let me edit it out. Annoying. )

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from valgalder:

Pinball Map.
(Also sorry for the duplicate picture, for some reason, Pinside won't let me edit it out. Annoying. )

Just downloaded the app. It's awesome thanks for the heads up.

#26 7 years ago

No problem. Now get out and play!

#27 7 years ago

I was in the market recently and considered both titles. I ended up going with GB Pro partially due to the uniqueness of the layout. I have a small collection and like my games to each have very different gameplay from each other. Star Trek seems somewhat cookie-cutter to me. I also wanted something that was more challenging and had relatively shorter ball times. Also, Ghostbusters is so nice to look at!

Good luck!

1 week later
#28 7 years ago

There is a super sweat ST pro with Aurich kit on facebook pinballs for sale. You need to be a member though.

Patrick Pietras
November 8, 2016
Stern Star Trek Pro
$4,250
Columbia, South Carolina
Stern Star Trek Pro with the Aurich BG and decal set. Excellent condition with everything working properly. A beautiful example of the game.
Currently located at the Palmetto Pinball Club in Columbia, SC.
I will even throw in a ST Banner from Stern that I picked up along the way.

#29 7 years ago

So did you get the GB yet? I didn't want to rehash my opinion in your thread, but I hope you got the opportunity to play them both first.

1 week later
#30 7 years ago
Quoted from Orko:

So did you get the GB yet? I didn't want to rehash my opinion in your thread, but I hope you got the opportunity to play them both first.

I did and we absolutely love it!

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from Ericc123:

Congrats! I'm a recent GB Pro owner, too. I'm digging it!

#32 7 years ago
Quoted from Ericc123:

Glad you were able to get it, and I hope it brings you many years of fun and enjoyment!

#33 7 years ago

Congratulations Ericc123 on your new GB, you are going to love it! Both GB and ST are killer games so you wouldn't have went wrong either way that you went. I favor GB but I'd love to own a ST also. Enjoy your new game!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Alpharetta, GA
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 119.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monument, CO
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

7,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 39.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

arcade-cabinets.com

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-i-buy-a-nib-gb-pro-or-st-pro-please-advise?hl=orko and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.