New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 182359)

Buying a NIB Pinball: Ghostbusters Vs. Star Trek

By NintenBear

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 123 posts
  • 55 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by TheLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Star Trek (Premium) Vs. GhostBusters (Premium)”

• Star Trek (Premium) 86 votes
    57%
  • GhostBusters (Premium) 65 votes
    43%

(151 votes)

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0692 (resized).JPG

There are 123 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 3 years ago

This is my first post, however not my first pinball. I owned a NIB Simpsons Pinball Party (which I sold due to financial obligations) and am looking to buy another NIB machine. I'm really trying to gather opinions regarding Ghostbusters premium versus Start Trek premium. I've played the ST and really enjoyed it, but haven't had a chance to play GB. I've just watched a ton of youtube videos (which I know isn't ideal), but the game still looks awesome.

Part of me thinks of getting the GB NIB and then picking up a ST on the used HUO market, but I'd love to get some pinheads input regarding it. On a side note, I'm also a fan of the X-Men pinball machine (which seems to get a lot of loathing) so I'd include that in your advice. Thanks everyone for your input.

Respectfully,
John the NintenBear

#2 3 years ago

I have all three and would NEVER sell GB(premium), I think it's the best pin Stern ever made, a ton of action, next is X-men and then ST, but really I won't be getting rid of any of them.

#3 3 years ago

I agree. While ST is cool, and I would like to have one, it's more typical of recent Sterns whereas GB really stands out as fresh, different, and of course fun (and challenging enough to hold up for home use). The build quality feels more solid as well, assuming you do not have any playfield issues (my LE does not).

#4 3 years ago

GB. Star Trek is a good game -- fast and smooth -- but it feels cheap and looks ugly compared to Ghostbusters. the playfield art alone makes this decision easy.

#5 3 years ago

I love ST way more than GB. Not even close.

#6 3 years ago

GB

#7 3 years ago

Buy a NIB KISS LE, beautiful and buy a GB prem later. Aerosmith was shown with Ghosting so no rush to give Stern money for a possible bad PF

#8 3 years ago

I love ST and dislike GB. I would play GB before you buy it. GB is beautiful but I just don't think its fun.

#9 3 years ago

I own both, GB premium and ST Pro........ Both are great games but GB is much better game IMO

#10 3 years ago

Both games are awesome but I'm giving GB the edge for sure.

#11 3 years ago

I own ghostbusters LE and Star Trek LE...it's no contest, go with Star Trek premium.

Ghostbusters requires way too much tweaking just to make the game playable. Star Trek is great right out of the box. Plus, Warp shot is hands down the best shot in all of pinball. Star Trek is probably the smoothest shooting game there is.

Ghostbusters is a great game...but one that is highly flawed.

#12 3 years ago

since you're willing to go HUO for ST, why not buy HUO for GB too?

Personally, game or gameplay aside, I wouldn't go NIB on any Stern title right now. They've jacked prices and QC is subpar. Just my 2 cents, tho.

Btw, ST is an awesome game

#13 3 years ago

I prefer ST due to less issues and far deeper code. 9 linear modes versus 18 modes that are selectable by the player. Both are fun games but I give the edge to Star Trek.

#14 3 years ago

Not even close Star Trek by a mile shoots much better then ghostbusters, and far superior design with much more stuff to do in it also

#15 3 years ago

I have to admit that I'm surprise GB is having such a following. I just don't think GB is in the same league as ST. Granted, even though I don't care for the art of GB, it is better than ST. But that's it. Play wise I think ST is the clear winner. It started life a bit rough, and the playfield art was just mailed in. However playing ST with the current software is a treat. They really brought it home at the end. And it is nothing in particular except how it feels while playing it. It's always fun and brings a tension once you get going and you're shooting well.

For GB, I don't care for the linear nature of it. It always feels repetitious to me. Amazing that I don't feel the same about some of the generic modes in ST.

Of course, get the one you like to play better. Don't buy anything until you play it. After you do, the choice will be more clear.

Oh, and X-Men. I have to admit that I've played both the Pro and the LE, but only enough to say that I didn't like the game (20-30 games total between them). When I play a new game, I'm looking for "the hook" that makes me want to learn it more. Sometimes it's a callout, sometimes it's a shot that feels great. Other times it's that there is just a regular shot that is worth a lot because of the software. But no matter which it is, I need to find it just messing around as I'm trying to figure out the game. XM never clicked for me at that level. That doesn't mean it's a bad game, it just means I stopped digging for the good stuff. Just one guys opinion.

#16 3 years ago

Star trek is amazing right out of the box, but once you change the music to the actual movie soundtrack (with pin browser, and easy 30 min step by step instructions on this forum), the game is transformed to one of the best pins ever in my opinion. Just totally ridiculous. I've had the pin for a while, and finally did the sound upgrade... Why stern went to the trouble of creating an original score (which granted is really good), when they did have the license to use the original music (from what I am told), is beyond me. I think ST is way underrated... Should be a top ten pin in my opinion

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from ninjabones:

Star trek is amazing right out of the box, but once you change the music to the actual movie soundtrack (with pin browser, and easy 30 min step by step instructions on this forum), the game is transformed to one of the best pins ever in my opinion. Just totally ridiculous. I've had the pin for a while, and finally did the sound upgrade... Why stern went to the trouble of creating an original score (which granted is really good), when they did have the license to use the original music (from what I am told), is beyond me. I think ST is way underrated... Should be a top ten pin in my opinion

I put the original soundtrack on and changed it back within 30 minutes. Didn't like it at all.

#18 3 years ago

I have both - Trek is a great game, very fun - but Ghostbusters beats it in every way.

The only thing I would say is who knows how much longer they will keep making Trek, so if you want a NIB, GB will be around for a while yet.

#19 3 years ago

If I had both, I would see GB lasting in my collection longer. I usually really like Ritchie games but ST is lower on the list for me.

#20 3 years ago

I had a STLE for a couple of years, currently have a GB Premium, and have an X-men LE. My thoughts:

1) ST is a great flowing, fun pin. I've thought about getting another one some day. However, I'd go for the Pro over the Premium on this imo. Not a lot of value add for the price increase.

2) GB is one of the best looking, best sounding pins I have owned, and once you get it tweaked/setup properly, plays great and is a lot of fun. Not setup properly and it is a pain in the ass, so I would factor how much you enjoy dialing in a pin into this decision. Plus the will be making it for a couple of years, no big rush to jump in on one, you can wait to see how code develops and possibly pick up a nice HUO one.

3) X-men LE is one of my favorites, cannot see it going anywhere. A large part of that is theme, I am a big X-men fan from way back. Since it isn't very popular, you can get good deals on them. Pretty much a straight up mode pin though, if you are looking for a strategic pin with a depth in rules it wouldn't be the best choice.

Given all that, my recommendation would be to get a new or nice HUO ST to start with. Play it for awhile, should hold its value decently and easy to sell/trade if you decide you want something different.

#21 3 years ago

GB is better - you just need to add 3 small mods that cost ~$80 and will take you all of an hour to install:
- Center Post + taller lane guides, lower right ramp, air ball shield.

#22 3 years ago

OP nintenbear maybe add a poll to this thread so everyone can vote and give you a good idea what the general pinside feeling is, plus everyone loves pinside polls

My vote would go to ST though, super fast and smooth shots and the warp ramp is such a sweet shot that only gets better the more times you can hit it in row, that shot alone makes ST the winner for me, but I also like the flexibility the code provides unlike GB more linear code. Still both games are AWESOME and two of Sterns best, so you cannot go wrong with either.

#23 3 years ago

If your talking nib... stern no longer makes Star Trek as the license expired. So what ever nib st u find u should hurry up

#24 3 years ago

Do you want a game that looks good or plays well? GB is a looker, but watching all the depressing Oscar nominated movies is more fun. ST has mediocre art, but plays like a real pinball machine.

Honestly, not a fan of either...there are better pins to choose from out there.

#25 3 years ago

If you like flow and beautiful color changing inserts, go with Star Trek. Game plays like a well oiled machine.

If you want gorgeous playfield artwork, stereo sound but a much, much less smooth playing game go with Ghostbusters.

Pick theme to your taste. The fidelity of the audio on either machine is good as are the light shows. Tough choice really. Good luck!

#26 3 years ago

I played Star Trek a few times and its a great unit, but i purchased GB and I dont regret it one bit. Its got so much going on and the latest sw code is excellent. I think the theme is what makes me lean GB. Bill Murry is on the back glass LOL. Cant go wrong with either but I have a basement full of people every friday night telling me how much they love GB..magnets, holograms, insane subway ramp...who you gonna call? Also my GB premium played flawless out of the box, i may have just gotten lucky, zero issues and heavily used. I had a nov build date

#27 3 years ago
Quoted from tacshose:

Buy a NIB KISS LE, beautiful and buy a GB prem later. Aerosmith was shown with Ghosting so no rush to give Stern money for a possible bad PF

I am a huge Kiss fan, unfortunately that new kiss machine is a bit of a dud...did new Kiss code come out to save the day yet?

#28 3 years ago

GB looks better than it plays. ST plays better than it looks. I voted ST with my wallet.

#29 3 years ago

I have both and that's what I recommend. You could go HUO with both of course, if possible. Overall gameplay wise I say ST though, it's my favorite Stern.

#30 3 years ago

I have both and really like both, but I would go with GB. It's brutal, but I enjoy the challenge. I think ST is the best flowing game of all time and the warp ramp is my favorite shot, so you can't go wrong here.

I used to own XMENLE but sold it. I didn't like the code at all.

#31 3 years ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

I have both and really like both, but I would go with GB. It's brutal, but I enjoy the challenge. I think ST is the best flowing game of all time and the warp ramp is my favorite shot, so you can't go wrong here.

I own both as well but I'd have to give the nod to ST though. It's just an overall better game.

#32 3 years ago
Quoted from NorCalRealtor:

GB looks better than it plays. ST plays better than it looks. I voted ST with my wallet.

Truth.

I'd prefer orig SM over ST for flow though. Cheaper too.

#33 3 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Truth.
I'd prefer orig SM over ST for flow though. Cheaper too.

I like SM slightly better than ST as well. The layouts are nearly identical.

SM>ST>GB

#34 3 years ago

I have SM, STLE and XMLE sadly can't say anything about GB never played it.

I like SM and ST about the same, prefer ST slightly becasue it's better lit and I like the return under the flipper shot. I really prefer Venom ramp to warp ramp but both are great.

However. I did own XMLE for like 4 years and really wanted to like. For a while I was getting into it, but hit a wall and really started to dislike it. The code was almost great, it needed more polish IMO to make it very good. Example in order to reach DP you'd need to defeat all the Villian modes. In other words I'd never make it there. I hardly defeat one or two in a good game, now if they had just made it more like LOTR where it was only necessary to start each Villian mode that might have been something.

I do feel that I sold XMLE too soon, as I started to miss it, but luck was on my side as my last 5 pins are Tspp, Met, TWD, LOTR and SM all of which IMO have outstanding rules. It makes me appreciate the nuance the small things that make a pinball shine and XM was half way there. No effort at all by Stern to make it exceptional.

Can't say anything about GB premium but TWD pro and Met pro are both outstanding and I'll probably never sell either.

#35 3 years ago

Why not make this a poll?

#36 3 years ago

ST is the way to go. I sold my Pro and miss it. I would buy a Prem back. Shots are smooth and fun. Deep code with a few different ways to play. It is what pinball is all about.

GB is a turd to play. It is not fun at all. So many cheap drains. The shots are narrow, but unsatisfying to hit. Kids theme that kids hate to play because who ever designed it forgot about that and went for brutal instead of fun on the game play. Good job! "Well my kids love it!" - well your kids must be named Uni and Bigfoot then. The modes are the same old stuff one after another. If you get an extra ball go make a sandwich and come back because that is how long the game will take to tell you you got an extra ball. Are there any references to the actors on the DMD at all? I don't recall. I tried to like GB and would have bought it if it was any good, but I don't care if I ever play it again. People love it, but there are many folks like myself out there who are gentler in their reviews and less outspoken as myself.

I would wait until SW comes out and get a GB then because IMHO it will be the number one game sold to get cash and space for SW. Could be wrong, but we will see.

Xmen is a good shooters game. If you like the theme look at that if you can find a HUO LE for $5000 local.

#37 3 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Xmen is a <snip> game. If you like the theme look at that if you can find a HUO LE for $5000 local.

IMO XMLE is a value trap games that sounds good on paper to get an LE for $5000 but then realize I bought a 'like new' SM, like new Met pro (with mods) and like new Twd pro (with mods) $5000 each and LotR (95% like new condition).

#38 3 years ago

Just added a poll as suggested, and am catching up with the comments. Great feedback and please keep them coming.

#39 3 years ago

I second waiting for SW to come out and picking up a cheap GB from the influx of sales. Otherwise, ST for the win

#40 3 years ago

Well, it seems as if Star Trek (Premium) is definitely winning the poll thus far. It’s also rated at 18 in the top 100 with a review score of 8.361 from the 509 ratings.

Ghostbusters (Premium) has gotten a lot of love from posts within this thread and it sits at 27 out of the top 100 with a review score of 8.211 from the 206 ratings. Still, it has a lot of time to move up as Star Trek has had more time to be played and reviewed.

Visually speaking, I really like Ghostbusters. The playfield looks awesome, but I still need to play it to really get a feel for it. I’ve played Star Trek and really enjoyed it, but the playfield was pretty boring to me in comparison to let’s say Ritchie’s ST TNG. I would definitely want to add some more toy props (ships) to the playfield to spruce it up visually.

I’m concerned with the “ghosting” issue with Ghostbusters. I honestly had no idea what “ghosting” was until I watched a YouTube video about it, but thankfully that owner received a new playfield. I would hope that Stern would fix this issue moving forward on all machines being currently assembled, but this definitely concerns me. I don’t want to spend that kind of money and end up frustrated with a machine that has major QC issues.

Another thought is the level of difficulty with GB. From reading posts and watching videos, the separation of the flippers makes the game seem pretty brutal. I’m not a pinball wizard, so something that will be fun to play is important to me. A visually striking game that is frustrating will only lead it to sitting untouched as a nightlight. Once again, I need to find a machine in the Fort Myers, FL area that I can play.

As for theme, I love GB. I’m more of a fan of the ST TNG cast, so the Stern ST would be for Ritchie’s work and to eventually be sitting next to a ST TNG.

If SW is Stern’s next release, I could definitely see a flood of machines coming up for sale. I like Star Wars, but I don’t love it like I do the Star Trek franchise. I’m also willing to bet that if SW is the next release, the pricing will probably be on par with what the high end BM66 are going for. George Lucas wouldn’t have it any other way lol…(I know it’s a Disney property, but my comment stands lol.)

I wish they would release a VE ST TNG and this decision would be simple for me. Add to that the X-Men pins that come up that have been nicely modded and are limited edition models also constantly tempt me. I’d love a Magneto machine and already own a Sideshow Collectibles (my other passion) Magneto that I’d use as a topper, or even get there latest Dark Phoenix statue and use that as a topper. X-Men is another theme that I love, and the game is fun.

I’m definitely leaning towards ST, but want to get my hands on a GB and play it. I bought the Stern Pinball Arcade game for PS4, but they still haven’t released the GB table. On another note, if the prices weren’t sky high, AC/DC is AWESOME! But at those prices I could pick up an X-Men and a ST

Thanks to everyone that has commented.

#41 3 years ago

I had an STLE for a couple years. It's a great game, but I sold it to fund a GoT LE. I actually think GoT is a better game and extremely underrated. I own a GB Premium as well, which I also like more than ST, and is probably about equal to GoT. I don't give a lot of weight to the argument that ST is a better game than GB because there are more modes and you can choose to play them in any order. The fact of the matter is that most of the modes in ST feel pretty much the same, so in that respect it's actually more repetitive than GB.

GB is a very unique game, and I can see why some people odn't like it. It's very difficult, and can feel quite clunky. Once you get it dialed in, however, it's a ton of fun.

Lastly, have you considered TWD? IMHO, it's better than all of the other games that have been mentioned in this thread thus far.

#42 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I had an STLE for a couple years. It's a great game, but I sold it to fund a GoT LE. I actually think GoT is a better game and extremely underrated. I own a GB Premium as well, which I also like more than ST, and is probably about equal to GoT. I don't give a lot of weight to the argument that ST is a better game than GB because there are more modes and you can choose to play them in any order. The fact of the matter is that most of the modes in ST feel pretty much the same, so in that respect it's actually more repetitive than GB.
GB is a very unique game, and I can see why some people odn't like it. It's very difficult, and can feel quite clunky. Once you get it dialed in, however, it's a ton of fun.
Lastly, have you considered TWD? IMHO, it's better than all of the other games that have been mentioned in this thread thus far.

I've played TWD but not GoT LE. I'm sure there are WAY better pins than ST and GB combined, but I'm also factoring in "theme" into my decision. I've got props, vintage action figures, ships, statues and other collectibles for both ST and GB as well as X-Men, but I'm still battling out ST versus GB. By having it dialed in, what does that exactly mean? Thanks for your comment and I look forward to your reply.

#43 3 years ago
Quoted from NintenBear:

By having it dialed in, what does that exactly mean?

When a game is "dialed in", it means all the shots and mechs are working like they are supposed to. In the case of GB, you will almost certainly have to tweak some stuff in order to achieve this. On my game, I changed out the shooter spring, adjusted the tension of the drop target springs, adjusted the height of the drop targets, swapped out the hex post supporting the right ramp, adjusted the sensitivity of the right orbit switch, etc ...

#44 3 years ago
Quoted from NintenBear:

I've played TWD but not GoT LE. I'm sure there are WAY better pins than ST and GB combined, but I'm also factoring in "theme" into my decision. I've got props, vintage action figures, ships, statues and other collectibles for both ST and GB as well as X-Men, but I'm still battling out ST versus GB. By having it dialed in, what does that exactly mean? Thanks for your comment and I look forward to your reply.

I can't really speak for ST but TWD and GOT are NOT way better than GB. GB is a damn fine game I can tell you that right now, especially the Premium model. ST seems to be awfully good as well but my experience is very limited on it so I can't really say for sure. GB Premium is my favorite game in my collection and that collection has TWD Pro and GOT Pro both in it.

#45 3 years ago
Quoted from NintenBear:

Well, it seems as if Star Trek (Premium) is definitely winning the poll thus far. It’s also rated at 18 in the top 100 with a review score of 8.361 from the 509 ratings.
Ghostbusters (Premium) has gotten a lot of love from posts within this thread and it sits at 27 out of the top 100 with a review score of 8.211 from the 206 ratings. Still, it has a lot of time to move up as Star Trek has had more time to be played and reviewed.
Visually speaking, I really like Ghostbusters. The playfield looks awesome, but I still need to play it to really get a feel for it. I’ve played Star Trek and really enjoyed it, but the playfield was pretty boring to me in comparison to let’s say Ritchie’s ST TNG. I would definitely want to add some more toy props (ships) to the playfield to spruce it up visually.
I’m concerned with the “ghosting” issue with Ghostbusters. I honestly had no idea what “ghosting” was until I watched a YouTube video about it, but thankfully that owner received a new playfield. I would hope that Stern would fix this issue moving forward on all machines being currently assembled, but this definitely concerns me. I don’t want to spend that kind of money and end up frustrated with a machine that has major QC issues.
Another thought is the level of difficulty with GB. From reading posts and watching videos, the separation of the flippers makes the game seem pretty brutal. I’m not a pinball wizard, so something that will be fun to play is important to me. A visually striking game that is frustrating will only lead it to sitting untouched as a nightlight. Once again, I need to find a machine in the Fort Myers, FL area that I can play.
As for theme, I love GB. I’m more of a fan of the ST TNG cast, so the Stern ST would be for Ritchie’s work and to eventually be sitting next to a ST TNG.
If SW is Stern’s next release, I could definitely see a flood of machines coming up for sale. I like Star Wars, but I don’t love it like I do the Star Trek franchise. I’m also willing to bet that if SW is the next release, the pricing will probably be on par with what the high end BM66 are going for. George Lucas wouldn’t have it any other way lol…(I know it’s a Disney property, but my comment stands lol.)
I wish they would release a VE ST TNG and this decision would be simple for me. Add to that the X-Men pins that come up that have been nicely modded and are limited edition models also constantly tempt me. I’d love a Magneto machine and already own a Sideshow Collectibles (my other passion) Magneto that I’d use as a topper, or even get there latest Dark Phoenix statue and use that as a topper. X-Men is another theme that I love, and the game is fun.
I’m definitely leaning towards ST, but want to get my hands on a GB and play it. I bought the Stern Pinball Arcade game for PS4, but they still haven’t released the GB table. On another note, if the prices weren’t sky high, AC/DC is AWESOME! But at those prices I could pick up an X-Men and a ST
Thanks to everyone that has commented.

To the best of my knowledge, the ghosting problems have been resolved. That doesn't mean it couldn't happen, but it's not happening right now that I am aware of, and the ghosting was also not limited to just GB. The playfields are probably all made by the same company so any of them could Ghost, it's not just a Ghostbusters thing.

#46 3 years ago

I have all three. TWD and GB in the prem and ST in the pro version

#47 3 years ago
Quoted from T7:

GB is better - you just need to add 3 small mods that cost ~$80 and will take you all of an hour to install:
- Center Post + taller lane guides, lower right ramp, air ball shield.

Owned 60 games in my life and GBLE is the best!

But You have to do the above mentioned things!!!

And code needs to be latest code!

#48 3 years ago
Quoted from sepins:

Owned 60 games in my life and GBLE is the best!
But You have to do the above mentioned things!!!
And code needs to be latest code!

Wow....strong statement there, but I like it! GB is definitely great!

#49 3 years ago

I found an arcade a couple of hours away from me that has a huge pinball collection with both GB and ST, so I'm going to make the trek and play them both extensively and use that as a determining factor for my decision. Should make for a fun trip regardless.

#50 3 years ago
Quoted from NintenBear:

I found an arcade a couple of hours away from me that has a huge pinball collection with both GB and ST, so I'm going to make the trek and play them both extensively and use that as a determining factor for my decision. Should make for a fun trip regardless.

Is it a GB Premium? If so you'll be going buying the GB.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 16.00
$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
$ 5,599.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
There are 123 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside