(Topic ID: 304620)

Distributors selling All Pins over MSRP!

By playtwowin

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 306 posts
  • 129 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by tallkid84
  • Topic is favorited by 13 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Should Distributors be allowed to sell over MSRP on all titles? ”

• Yes 115 votes
      37%
    • No 160 votes
      51%
    • Not buying NIB titles. 36 votes
      12%

(311 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20220221-212809-916 (resized).png
    51i1QgfxSLL._AC_SY1000_ (resized).jpg
    giphy-4.gif
    av gif.gif
    japanese-car-mods (resized).jpg
    cat-bite.gif
    shame-gameofthrones.gif
    clowns-pies.gif
    Screenshot_20211206-213518 (resized).png
    Biglebowskiposter (resized).jpg
    F507AD51-637A-4457-8A08-47719B42B9BB (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot from 2021-12-02 08-55-58 (resized).png
    E27ACD96-C9AA-4E98-8E6E-8CEBE81F8390 (resized).png
    590DF8DB-0DEB-4234-B116-5CEEFF855190.gif
    N21nLI.gif
    712759E6-0E64-4D60-A00C-F266394DEFAF (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Crumbalimb.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#284 2 years ago

For me its simple.I will not support any vendors that sells for over the MSRP. I have seen Vendors like Tilt amusements, Game Exchange, Kingpin and probably others, sell all their games to pinheads at retail and everyone who buys from them have a game that can feel good about buying. When I see toppers for 3 k on eBay from vendors, or stern LEs for 15-16 k from stern dealers , I feel I would rather spend my money from a dealer who is not gouging their customers. I've been lucky enough to be able to buy 6 new in-box games and lots of used games over the years and have never sold a single one. I would love to have a Gozalla LE but I can't justify paying 15 k for it, and paying 15-16k from a dealer is a slap on the face to pinheads. I see people saying that the dealers need the money due to the shortage of games and that's how thay make up for it. If you have a product that pretty much sells out before you even pay for it, or get it from the manufacturer, your making a nice living selling at retail. It sucks for the vendors to see games get flipped and buyers making more than the vendors, but the question is about where or who we give our money to, and again, my cash goes to the dealers who I know sells at retail (or below) and give's good service.
    It would be great if we could have a list of dealers and a place we can rate and share our experiences with them so we can spend our money more wisely with vendors that are not out playing the cash grab game,and vendors that give good support.

#289 2 years ago
    Quoted from MachineGunGuy:

One point to make on behalf of the distributors. Yes they now sell virtually every new pin they can get their hands on at MSRP or above, but they too are limited on what they can get to actually sell. This in turns limits the amount of money they can make. You cannot sell for less and make it up in volume if there is no product available to sell. So for many of these small distributors they have a certain amount of fixed costs that must be covered. Rent, Payroll, Utilities, Insurance etc. all of those have gone up yet the number of pinball machines they can sell is constrained by supply issues. Also when the units actually arrive to ship and they actually make the money is also a bit randomized. Therefore they need to maintain cash flow to keep the lights on and the staff employed for when the pins are actually delivered and then shipped out. This may require charging a higher price on the pins they have to sell to cover their fixed costs and make a profit. Everyone wants a deal and in today's market a deal may actually be MSRP. A year from now, who knows. Fortunately, as many have said Pinball Machines are a luxury item. No one actually NEEDS a pinball machine. (I know that point can be debated)

If you go back 5 years ago distros were selling fewer games and at below MSRP and were makeing a living. So the argument of "they need more money" is not a good one without knowing the facts and how much they actualy make. Some dealers currently seem very happy selling at MSRP and feel no need to price gouge and seem to be paying the bills and making a living. Just saying I still think I would rather spend my money with the vendors who are not takeing advantage of the current market, and 5 years from now if things cool down I will remember the ones who sold at retail and still support them and suggest to others to buy from them, as well as suggest to others who not to buy from.

#292 2 years ago
    Quoted from galore2112:

I don’t understand why Stern doesn’t price these games higher to begin with, if they sell out for 12+ months and if buyers flip them for 50% more. All that means is that the product is too cheap.
    If I was setting prices at Stern, I’d price premiums at $15k and LEs at $25k.
    If people can flip NIB LEs for $15k, Stern is gifting the profit to someone who didn’t do anything other than somehow getting on a list early and risk “investing”. I’d feel ripped off if I was at Stern, seeing Stern LEs being used as 150% short term ROI vehicles. That cash should go to Stern, not to Joe Pinball who knew someone to get on the “in” list.

I'm guessing the downvotes are because people don't want to see higher prices on games or the flippers that are making bank want the cash for themselves? Your point is valid. The flippers or dealers charging 15-25k are probably making more cash than stern per game. My thought is to stop making any limited number (LE or CE) games. If someone wants a LE-level game at 11k then make as many as the market wants. The only reason the manafactures don't do that is for the buying frenzy of people that want the rare game.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Crumbalimb.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/distributors-selling-all-pins-over-msrp?tu=Crumbalimb and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.