Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by whip
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 4 months ago

I am trying to help a friend with the Diner pinball they got from another friend, she was so happy i got the display working properly after help from the pinside forum members, well im in need again, i am ok with EM games and have a few but the newer more techy games are out of my lane, so what is happening now it the test run which i finally think i figured out how to do, states the ramp wont rise, that is one issue, nothing else came up on display but the 3 center drop targets wont come back up and also the chrome curve piece that directs the ball to cup? will not stay to new position to do this, is kinda move then goes back and seems to shudder/groan so im assuming it is something with coil? all 3 issues are seem to be coil related? would these be hooked? up somewhere together?I went under playfield and they move as should when i manually move them, soo im hoping for a direction to start to look.

#2 4 months ago

This is your manual:

https://www.ipdb.org/files/681/Williams_1990_Diner_Operations_Manual_June_1990_includes_schematics_OCR_searchable.pdf

On PDF page 2 it lists the coils and some information about them, particularly the wire colors, and where they go and what transistor on the board is controlling them.

One thing that isn't immediately easy to understand is that this game has a relay that supplies power to either the flashlamps or the coils, and so the same driver circuit transistor Q32, will run both the drop target coil (26-1200), or the 89 or 906 flashlamps. Look at PDF page 97.

When a bunch of coils don't work, I think about fuses.

Particularly on the Aux power supply board, you need to pull one side of the fuse out of it's socket and test the fuse with a meter. Fuse F7 (I believe it's on the backbox of the game) is involved in all the 50v coil circuits, but F4, F5, or F6 on the Aux board could be your problem.

PDF page 96 has the schematic for the fuses.

I'd check the fuses first, then start looking at the schematics to see what else it could be.

Let us know what you find!

#3 4 months ago

Wow what knowledge you have! ok i will go over and see what i can try from your info, fuses i will check again, that i understand but if it gets into transistors??? well lets hope not. Thanks for you info and direction to start

#4 4 months ago

So you know switch test. Now go to coil test and see of the game can fire the suspect coils. If other coils work, less likely to be a fuse.

#5 4 months ago

ok well i will try to find that and how to test, when i did a test it came up on display ramp wont rise, and the center drop targets i would think would have pushed up from coil? i know the test did the GI or lamps check but going over and will try to find the coil test to run thanx

#6 4 months ago

well found a fuse F7 blown, i dont have a 5A to put in so going to get one, i hope that is the coil issue or if it keeps blowing, i gotta figure its a coil issue on ramp or center target bank or chattering chrome curved lane changer on right ramp, it chatters and does not work for lane change?

#7 4 months ago

A GRAND thanks again for all input, put the F7 fuse in and seemed to remedy all 3 coil issues, ramp rises, center targets and chrome ramp divider, so if it holds or if it blows again I will assume one of the coil unit is jamming possilbly but hoping it will hold for her. Now gotta figure out why the right side lamps on back box, all are not coming on? learning alot from you and i will say it experts in knowledge on these games. Thanks again till next time, cause im looking to start to add some newer Pins to my EM collection.

#8 4 months ago
Quoted from whip:

Now gotta figure out why the right side lamps on back box, all are not coming on?

Follow the wires and start wiggling connectors. It's pretty common on older games. GL! (or they could all be burnt out lol. No really...)

#9 4 months ago
Quoted from whip:

A GRAND thanks again for all input, put the F7 fuse in and seemed to remedy all 3 coil issues, ramp rises, center targets and chrome ramp divider, so if it holds or if it blows again I will assume one of the coil unit is jamming possilbly but hoping it will hold for her. Now gotta figure out why the right side lamps on back box, all are not coming on? learning alot from you and i will say it experts in knowledge on these games. Thanks again till next time, cause im looking to start to add some newer Pins to my EM collection.

I’m actually redoing one today. Check connector J7 on the interconnect board. This one specifically is for the backbox. J6 is also one you’ll want to check as it is the input power. Both locations are susceptible to burning connections

1 week later
#10 3 months ago

well looking again for direction??? I checked the J7 and J6 connectors, wiggled and reset and wiggled most of wires while she watched the lamps with no flash or anything? the bulbs are good, the moon bulb lights which is the larger one in corner and the figure ones light but the right side of the smaller bulbs still cant figure? clock and left side smaller bulbs work, is the a specific fuse, although i checked all that i could find, but is the a specific one for the right side bulbs?

#11 3 months ago
Quoted from whip:

well looking again for direction??? I checked the J7 and J6 connectors, wiggled and reset and wiggled most of wires while she watched the lamps with no flash or anything? the bulbs are good, the moon bulb lights which is the larger one in corner and the figure ones light but the right side of the smaller bulbs still cant figure? clock and left side smaller bulbs work, is the a specific fuse, although i checked all that i could find, but is the a specific one for the right side bulbs?

There are 4 fuses for GI on the interconnect board. So you’re saying there was no burning at either connection point on the connectors? The 4 fuses are right next to the mentioned connectors

#12 3 months ago

i saw no burnt look on either end, the fuses also look good, no breaks. i was thinking of next using my continuity tester on each wire that is not coming on to find out were it goes to??

#13 3 months ago
Quoted from whip:

i saw no burnt look on either end, the fuses also look good, no breaks. i was thinking of next using my continuity tester on each wire that is not coming on to find out were it goes to??

Have you tested the fuses or just looked at them? Looking good and actually being good are 2 different things. Use a multimeter and pull the fuses out to test them. Also, it would do good to post a photo of both the backside of the lamp board in the back box and also the connectors for the GI mentioned. Unplug them for the photo.

#14 3 months ago

ok and i know better i should have pulled the fuses to check i will go back but its hard now.....she is so happy that i, i mean me and all you forum helpers, go the other issues fixed so she can play it, the few lights out dont bother her!!!! But i want to get them working to so i will take some pictures and post and check fuses

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 22.50
$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diner-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.