(Topic ID: 289488)

Cutting Pinball Plastics from clear PETG with Laser Engraver

By Mr_Tantrum

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot 2023-03-03 at 8.39.00 PM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-09 at 10.19.37 AM (resized).png
    IMG_5861 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5860 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5859 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbwalker.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#32 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Well, I think I'm coming to the realization that I'll just have to keep using my home CNC machine for now. Disappointing, but seems to be the best/most cost-effective option for small volume DIY...

Sorry, don't want to sidetrack the discussion away from the laser topic - but what do you use for the CNC at home? Is it by chance the CNC-3018?

#35 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Yes, it is a 3018, this one specifically: amazon.com link »
    For what it is, it works well. The main issues I have with it with cutting PETG/Acrlic is the mess it makes. I still have to then sand the edges and flame polish them. Also, it takes multiple passes (3 to cut .080" PETG), and I've had occasions where I didn't have everything secured well enough, so I ended up destroying the material and having to start over. Probably the biggest pain when it comes to cutting plastics is that you must use some form of adhesive to secure the plastic to the sacrificial board which in turn is secured to the bed. Not only does it add time and cost to the project, but after cutting the adhesive is difficult to remove from the plastic, then I have to clean the parts with an adhesive removal agent, and finally wash with soap and water.
    With a CO2 laser you cut it in one pass, and in many occasions the edges are already finished from the laser cut itself. There are now plastic shavings to deal with, and you don't have to secure the material with adhesive which makes the process much cleaner, easier, and quicker.

Thanks Tant. I've been eyeballing the 3018 for awhile, given it's low cost. Just something to fool around with. Would be interesting to route some PCB's with it too.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbwalker.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cutting-pinball-plastics-from-clear-petg-with-laser-engraver?tu=mbwalker and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.