Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 14 years ago by seanymph
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 14 years ago

I think a contest would be fun. I'd purchase and mail the prizes. They wouldn't be super expensive. Like a $20 item for first , a $10 item for second , etc. Prizes would need to be generic items everyone could use so I'd like ideas on those too.

I'd like to hear members ideas for it. My first thought is doing the funniest picture related to pinball and done/altered with Photoshop or whatever.

Robin would decide who judges/votes etc. Of course I would not make myself eligible.

What do you all think ? I haven't talked to him about it yet at all btw.

BrokeDad

#2 14 years ago

A playfield rewaxing kit (cleaner and wax). Light bulbs, rubbers, plastics, how to DVD's. A thread here on the forums named after user or a stickied thread just for the winner. Thats off the top of my head.

#3 14 years ago

Thanks for the input .. I like the idea(s). Especially of a rubber kit of your choice and also the bulbs everyone can always use. Hopefully there will be a bit more interest. I'm doing my best to generate involvement and also recruit new members.

#4 14 years ago

The idea of a contest sounds great and the suggested items are good. I'd like to get involved in some aspect. Let me know. Btw - nice new avatar Brokedad. I switched to my new one the other day.

#5 14 years ago

If a member has refurbished their own machine have it featured on the front page so even guest of the website/forum will see it 1st off. Thats all ways a fun prize, I know this from Spudfiles contest. Members just love to have their stuff featured! Thats a easy prize to give.

There's got to be tons more easy fun prizes to give, I'm drawing a blank now.

#6 14 years ago

I don't think my status allows for modifying the website to the extent of changing it's pages. That's prolly something Robin can do though. I do like the idea of featuring peoples machines though. It'd be nice to have a picture(s) of it and a story behind it written by the member.

Like I said my only idea was one I see them do on cracked.com .. it's where they let people use photoshop to doctor up a picture along a theme and award a prize(s) to the best one(s). I'm sure others can come up with more ideas.

I appreciate all the no money prize suggestions too. Thanks everyone for continuing to contribute and help.

#7 14 years ago

Sounds like a good plan! I could make a new subforum called contests. Then Brokedad can start a new topic for each contest. I could feature each current contest on the Pinside home page to draw more attention to it.

One thing would be rather mandatory for this to work: the forum software would need to support a user to insert images into their post. I will look into this.

As to the question who can act as a judge, I think we just need a couple of people (e.g. 4). I would be happy to be a judge. I could also ask my girlfriend. She would probably judge total different aspects of an entry. Maybe Brokedad could judge as well. We just need a fourth person then.

But I totally support the idea!

#8 14 years ago

Thanks for responding robin !

Pinball trivia questions would also be an idea for a forum (I believe I can create those) .. I've done that before and can make them hard enough (sometimes) you can't just google the answer.

Let's try one right now on this thread:

What was the first "add-a-ball" machine that also introduced the concept of extended play ?

#9 14 years ago

Trivia would be very nice. I have always had many questions for such a quiz. For the 1990-now games mostly

As for your question... Gottlieb's 1960 game "Flipper"?

#10 14 years ago

Congrats robin .. you won that question

I'm still looking for the control(s) to add a Trivia question forum. I don't think I have that ability. Only to moderate the existing ones. That kind of thing is up to you .. I always loved doing the trivia on my forums of long ago. I've tried poking around the dashboard/control panel. Not discussing it deeper here .. this belongs in a private discussion.

#11 14 years ago

Trivia questions would only work on an hounor system of course, then have a different one for coolest mods, most intense restoration, highest scores (certain games, I guess) or based on factory replay scores with a variance percentage figured out, maybe even go as far as most sickest game room, or most machines. First one to have a picture of themselves playing pinball in a different city or country. How about writing a fictional pinball type story?!?!??! Those are some of my ideas. I know for prizes, anything pinball related would be cool. Maybe some old pinball mesh hat from the 80's or a pinball pez dispenser or something. I found a pinball/gumball game at the dollar store that was, guess what, 1 dollar! I bought it cuz it was cool. Handheld pinball games and toys I find all the time at yard sales for 50 cents. I could dig up a few 'unique' things to donate for prizes.

#12 14 years ago

hi,
    we gonna shake the forum ! ! !
    I'm wide open to the contest's idea: the pictured's one and the machine quizz.

Go ahead junkies

Lo

#13 14 years ago

Thanks for offering things up jbscar. It's very very generous of you.

I'm glad to see the responses picking up from everyone. My biggest fear lately has been that as a relative newcomer folks would take offense that robin gave me a low level moderator status. I've seen none. I'd like to see others get recognition of some kind.

This can be a great(er)(est) forum and I'd like to see it the best pinball related one on the internet. There is so much knowledge and talent here. All together we can make it that.

#14 14 years ago

"My biggest fear lately has been that as a relative newcomer folks would take offense that robin gave me a low level moderator status."

My guess is that the advise you give proves technical experience beyond most new comers like myself. No offence taken, nor should there be. Your advise is worth it's weight in gold, be proud of that and thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Brokedad have you ever thought of putting together some video clips on fixing pinball machines, techniques that you use??? That would be a awesome prize! "Brokedads Repair Tips and Tricks DVD"

#15 14 years ago

There are some sort of contests where everybody can take part in that don't rely on any sort of honor system or access to specific machines. One thing we could do is contests where we all submit a photo of a pinball machine, part of a machine, or of something pinball related. We could even theme them and change the theme week to week. For example, one week we'd all submit "best toy" photo and another time it could be "ramp shots". You could think of ways to be creative.

Just an idea...

#16 14 years ago

I am new here, but enjoying the banter. I want to have a contest called " most hilarious fictional pin". In 300 words or less (or whatever) describe what would be the funniest pin ever. I think my husband would win with an idea he had the other night. Wish I could type it here- you would roll. Anyway, I hope you come up with a contest even us poorer folks can be in!! Don't think I'd have a shot at most machines...

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/contest-ideas and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.