Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Madmax541
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Looking at a Dr Dude pin that has been clearcoated. Don't know what type of clear was used.
Where the ball drops from the wire ramps to the inlanes there is indentation and small cracks.
the rest of the pin is in nice shape with color matched LEDs, no fade, new translite, no wear on PF.

Can the indentation and cracks be repaired, if so how and it a big good.

What is the value on a pin like this? No pics

#2 10 years ago

Probably a major hassle to try to fix the cracks - you could clean the cracks as well as possible and put mylar squares under the spots (should have these anyways) and maybe that will hide the imperfections.

#3 10 years ago

I'd like to hear some more suggestions. I was told that the cracking clear and paint on my diamond plate T2 (at the ball drops) should have a thick layer of wax down before I put mylar squares down to keep the paint from peeling up if I ever remove them. This seems odd to me, wont the wax keep the mylar from sticking completely?

#4 10 years ago

Depends on your skill level, ability to work with two part clear and the type of cracks. If they're fine cracks you'll want to widen them out into a v-shape so the clear can get into them. If the cracks are wider you'll just need to clean up the edges a little. After the prep just apply 2K clear to the area to fill in the cracks and indentation.

There's also a post where they're using UV curable resin to fill in cupped inserts (the concept would be the same). I'll add the link in a minute.

If the playfield has been clear-coated you don't need to worry about the wax/mylar approach since the paint is protected from lifting by the clear.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-fix-cupped-inserts-using-uv-windshield-repair-resin-a-work-in-progress

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

I'd like to hear some more suggestions. I was told that the cracking clear and paint on my diamond plate T2 (at the ball drops) should have a thick layer of wax down before I put mylar squares down to keep the paint from peeling up if I ever remove them. This seems odd to me, wont the wax keep the mylar from sticking completely?

You should always wax before Mylar. Maybe not critical in your case, but you don't want the glue to become one with what's underneath . The wax works at the molecular level. If there is any perceivable wax when done buffing, you have to much wax.

#6 10 years ago

Bump

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Boards
PinSound

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Listowel Pinball

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunlap, IL
Machine - For Sale
Gulf Shores, AL
$ 27.95
3,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Jesup, GA
2,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Carpentersville, IL
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 18.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/clearcoat-indented-ball-drop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.