(Topic ID: 1301)

Cleaning Posts and Replacement Numbers

By Xanathar

13 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 13 years ago

2 questions if I may.

A. What is the best way to clean plastic posts, and all the metal rails in a pinball? Someone wrote about putting all the plastics posts in an old sock, fill it with AJAX and then throw it in the washing machine on hot. That sounds a bit crazy to me, so I am asking here because I have goten good advice from this forum before. Not sure on the metal.

B. Where can I find a listing of replacement part numbers?
    Example: this 1 inch red post is part #X.....this lane guide is part #X.

I can seem to find a good resource

Thanks

Xan

#2 13 years ago

The best way to polish the Metal IMO is with a Brass Tumbler. It is what guys who reload ammo use to clean their casings.

I don't know about putting Ajax in a dishwasher but the plastic bits should be ok. I just use Novus 1 and Q-tips.

I measure the posts with a ruler then search for the best match by picture on Pinballlife or Marcospecialties.

#3 13 years ago

I've put plastic posts in the silverware holder of a dishwasher - seems to get you a nice head start - then hit them with a toothbrush and some novus - its alot of tedious work those star posts, Im sure there are other better ideas out there.

just dont do a heat dry on the dishwasher

you can download your manual on IPDB.org and in there should have your part numbers

#4 13 years ago

I looked at IPDB.org and I got the manuals but there is nothing in there about part numbers unless I'm missing it.

It doesn't really tell me much

Xan

#5 13 years ago

If they are star posts I would just replace them if they look worn/shabby, or you could soak them in warm soapy water and clean muck out of the edges with a tooth brush. If the plastic posts are straight, I'd use novus 2 and 1, rags and cue tips, or just replace them.
    When I clean metal parts I use Autosol metal polish and rags, gets rid of most crud, long hard job and sore fingers ahead, some metal parts like nuts and posts I like to put them in a cordless drill and spin them in a rag with polish on, they clean up real quick.

#6 13 years ago

Bugray I do something similar - I put alot in my vice and use a light wire wheel on them
    come up super shiny and steel wool - also bought a big bag of everything from pinball life - has nice new shiny nuts and bolts

#7 13 years ago

I use the brass brush on a Dremel Tool to clean rust and corrosion off of screw heads and other metal parts that won't fit in the tumbler. The Brass brush won't damage the metal surface. Also use NevRdul afterward.

#8 13 years ago

My worst hate of cleaning metal parts has to be wire form ramps, they take forever, it's painstakingly boring, but the results are great, shiney new looking ramps.

#9 13 years ago

whatever you do dont soak white plastic posts in bleach they come out yellowish

#10 13 years ago

SOME parts manuals actually have the part numbers for the posts, but only some. For instance, my buddy has a Bride of Pinbot, which as every little nut, bolt, screw, washer, post, rubber, etc... listed one way or another. My Black Knight, absolutely nothing. Though there were also factory parts list manuals, which I've never had the opportunity to look through.

Here's an odd question... anybody tried polishing the plastics in a vibratory polisher yet? Eastwood sells a bunch of different polishing media, some of which say to use with plastics. I might try a few sacrificial busted parts to see what happens with walnut.

-Hans

#11 13 years ago

I would use corn cob with plastics. I believe walnut is too harsh.

#12 13 years ago

I put everything in the dishwasher. Works like a charm, especially on ramps! Just don't put it too hot, and always test drive first with one obscure plastic just to make sure your dishwasher doesn't have any destructive powers!

The dishwasher is not the last stop though. It gives you a head start. After that you will always need some manual labour. There is no "easy way" for plastics I believe.

For metal parts I like to use a product called "brillo". It's like a little sponge made from iron wool and it has some kind of soap in it. It is normally ment for cleaning your pots & pans, but works great on metal rails and those chrome ball guides!

For starposts A toothbrush with some novus works wonders. I have an old electrical toothbrush that I use.

A tumbler will be my next investment, I think that will be great for posts, screws, balls and other small parts...

#13 13 years ago

Ok great advice on the cleaning. Thanks.

but what about the parts numbers? Being new I am confused when I see a switch and it says:

Williams Reference # XXX-XXX_XXXXXX or something like that,

and I say "How do I know if this is the right parts number to replace what I have? "

Is there a reference list somewhere that explains all this? Most manuals don't say anything, at least mine doesn't

Thanks

#14 13 years ago

Some parts work with multiple manufacturers so it may have multiple part numbers. Also, aftermarket parts will reference which part they replace.
    The older manuals are crap when it comes to parts numbers. Even the Operator's manual didn't list all the parts numbers. For some parts, you have to do a bit of research. I look for parts on several of the suppliers to try and verify with their pictures and descriptions and then cross reference the part number one will give on other sites. Usually, they will say something to the effect "For early Bally/Sterns" or give a year range like "For 1980-1991 Williams"

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-posts-and-replacement-numbers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.