• Latest reply 3 months ago by frisbez
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2515 (resized).JPG
#1 3 months ago

Figuring out an issue with a client's Centaur. Says the game worked perfectly before being packed up and moved. Game will get to flash 7 and then crash with a slight burning smell upon boot. Narrowed it down to J2 on the MPU causing the issue which runs the switch lines. Narrowed further to three separate wires on the connector by repinning, any of which will each individually cause the issue. White green, white blue and brown yellow. Figured there was a switch line touching something carrying voltage but three seemed odd, as did the voltages measured. Measured voltages at each one:

DC Voltage:
White Blue: 4.95
White Green: 8.26
Brown Yellow: 8.31

AC Voltage:
White Blue: 2.7
White Green: 3.6
Brown Yellow: 3.52

Searched the bottom of the playfield and tried to find continuity with any of those switch lines to anything else but wasn't able to. Open to suggestions of what to test next.

Other data: Alltek MPU and SDB.
Photo attached is what the SDB looks like when the game crashes with J2 plugged in.

IMG_2515 (resized).JPGIMG_2515 (resized).JPG
#2 3 months ago

Can you better describe what the client specifically means by crashing?
Typically on a Bally multiball game the MPU will flash 7 times but fail to boot, if after the 7th flash, it cannot read all the multiballs. If the game boots up but immediately reboots, that could be a slam and one of the 2 slam switches could of hung-up after the move.

#3 3 months ago

Yes, so this is not the typical situation where you need all the balls in the trough to boot. I am aware of that quirk with Centaur. The game will flash the seventh time, begin to do the boot callout but then quickly cut off and all the momentary solenoid LEDs on the alltek SDB will go red. From my understanding this is an issue with voltage getting into the switch matrix where it shouldn't.

My questions are:
Why 3 individual wires are all reading voltage? Do they have anything in common that I am not seeing?
Why are the readings voltages that aren't present (to my knowledge) on the playfield?
How I can track down where these lines are picking up voltage where they shouldn't be?

#4 3 months ago

Check the coin door for a short if the playfield switches on those wires seem fine. In particular the left and right coin switches and the slam tilt on the door are associated with the wiring you're talking about.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

6,195 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

£ 195.00
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 10.00
$ 17.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/centaur-crashing-issue-narrowed-to-j2-on-mpu?hl=bigal56 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.