• Latest reply 5 years ago by bobukcat
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

BrkshotSchemSnip (resized).JPG
capcom j9 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bobukcat.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 5 years ago

Are those switches part of the overall switch matrix or are they dedicated ones?
Do they have associated diodes mounted on the CPU board?
Have you tested the switch to make sure it's opening or closing when you open / close the door?

LEDs in Capcom games w/o the OCD board should be illegal.

#7 5 years ago

Can you jumper the coin-in switches to try to add credits and start a game. Do you see any voltage at all on the pins of J9 that the cabinet switches go to? You may have a bad LM339 on the CPU board I guess??

#10 5 years ago

It would be great if you could get it started up to see if more of the cabinet switches have a problem but since you are seeing ~5VDC on the pins, and presumably then the switch it sounds like the wiring is okay. If you look at the schematic pin 11 of U11 should get pulled low when the switch is closed (I'm assuming the door switch is a normally closed switch which goes open when you close the door but I don't know that for sure) and the comparator should then pull pin 13 of U11 low. You should be able to test these points with a meter when opening and closing the door.

BrkshotSchemSnip (resized).JPGBrkshotSchemSnip (resized).JPG

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

U3 pin B1 looks like it's feeding the LM339 for that switch. Page 63 in the manual says U3 is a 74LS245.
Data sheets helpful? https://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/12640/ONSEMI/74LS245.html
https://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/3064/MOTOROLA/LM339.html
Getting any activity on B1 (pin 18) of U3? grumpy or quench or barakandl could probably give you ideas on where to go from here.

Well technically the LM339's output signal is being read by the LS245 when it is enabled which is then "translated" for lack of a better term onto the data bus. If the output of the LM339 is not changing this is the reason the game never sees the switch close.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Would you suggest the OP put a logic probe on pin 13 of U11 and see if there is any activity when J9 pins 9-10 are jumpered?

Is this normal behavior? If not, any idea what to test to track down the source of that issue?

Logic probe or even a DMM will work since that comparator is not pulsed at all for these switches.

Since J9-10 is a ground pin if it ever reads anything other than zero you have a pretty big problem or you aren't using the meter correctly. And yes, when jumpering those two 9 has absolutely no other possible reading than 0 in that state. So with those jumpered or the switch closed you should see ~5VDC on U11-10, ~.7VDC on U11-11 (since there is a diode in line) and nearly 0 on U11-13. Another test you could possibly try is to ground U11-13 with a jumper and see if the game then goes into maintenance mode but I would test the voltages first

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from mg81:

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I will do my best to follow up on them, however the issues that are being pointed at give me the impression that any failed part will involve some level of replacement of board parts.
While I feel competent in soldering on early Bally SS boards (I have done more of that than I care to admit), this board has much more delicate traces and the consequences of me trashing it are far more severe compared to me trashing an early Bally board that I can by a spare of off ebay any day of the week.
The sort version is I think this board is getting sent out to someone more competent. However I will do my best to update this thread on what they tell me the issue(s) is with the board.
Thanks again.

It's good to know your limitations but I would recommend some additional troubleshooting so when you send it out it's a fairly easy repair and not a full troubleshooting effort too. I don't know how many people have test setups for Capcom boards like they do for WMS / WPC games.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 209.00
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bobukcat.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/capcom-bs-stuck-in-attract-mode-flashing-board-leds?tu=bobukcat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.