(Topic ID: 36364)

Can you touch up a translite

By Capper96

11 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

I got a translite with a few spots where the paint or print has rubbed leaving the clear material only. Has anyone successfully touched up a translite and if so can you use acrylic paint?

#2 11 years ago

The problem is once it's backlit the paint shows up as a dark blob.

#3 11 years ago

A dark blob is still better than a hole.

#4 11 years ago

It is hard to make it look perfect. The best I have been able to do is color match with acrylic paint and then paint a white backer. I also coat with a varnish to keep the acrylic in place. I have yet to make one invisible, but a hole in the artwork is way more noticeable to me than a color blob.

#5 11 years ago

Is it a special type of paint that they used or perhaps ink?

#6 11 years ago
    Quoted from Capper96:

Is it a special type of paint that they used or perhaps ink?

yes. Ink. You can get a good result from an airbrush as far as transparency is concerned. but anywhere you build layers of paint will transmit light differently.

#7 11 years ago

I never had any luck matching colors so I leave it

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-you-touch-up-a-translite and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.