• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMAG2802.jpg
IMAG2801.jpg
#1 10 years ago

Almost done bringing the Hurricane that I picked up back to life. Went and rebuilt the flippers. There was black gunk all over the inside of them. I'm thinking it was WD 40. Put new coil sleeves in but they were very difficult to get in as it was very tight. Fired everything up with the new assembly and one side is really dragging and the other side doesn't work at all. I'm thinking that the coils are somehow tightened up. Is that possible?

#2 10 years ago

Yes it's possible if the coil has heated up too much in the past. I'd replace the coil if the new sleeve meets too much resistance.

#3 10 years ago

Thx! I could get barely get the coil sleeve in there. From the outside it looked like it was an ok coil. Guess I'll have to replace them.

#4 10 years ago

Really the only way a coil gets damaged (besides physically) is if it locks on and overheats. The heat can: burn the insulation off of the wound wire causing a short, or it can melt/deform the plastic bobbin the wire is wound around. The bobbin is what you insert the coil sleeve into.

If i come across a coil I cannot remove the sleeve from, I replace it. I don't think I have come across a coil I could remove the old sleeve from but not insert a new one.

#5 10 years ago

Are they binding on the sleeve or the playfield bushing? Is there a credit card thick gap between the flipper bats and the bushing?

All of the System 11 games I owned had tight coil sleeves in the flipper coils. Real PITA. Had to cut them out and hammer the new ones in with a mallet. This was even for the replacement coils I bought. The plunger moved freely in the sleeve so the coils were fine.

#6 10 years ago

I happened to have a brand new set of flipper coils around that I had bought for my No Fear & I installed them. Still having the exact same problem. Left one is slow & right doesn't move at all. Any suggestions? I'll check the bushing gap...

#7 10 years ago

Could be a few different things. Is the right flipper getting power?

Pretty sure NF is fliptronics. Sounds like a board issue to me. I'd send it out to have it gone through.

Are you sure your coil sleeves are the correct ones? I've never seen them that tight unless the coil was overheated and swollen or burned.

#8 10 years ago

I have a local pinhead who helps me tremendously. He does boardwork & when he gets back from vacation I'm sure he will help me track it down. The machine I'm working on is Hurricane, but it was the same coil size as the NF ones. Nothing has been easy on this machine...

Quoted from adii:

Are you sure your coil sleeves are the correct ones? I've never seen them that tight unless the coil was overheated and swollen or burned.

The sleves were the same, the only difference was the old ones were really greased up so they came out. I tried wiping out the inside of the coils when I originally did it. Like I said the originals didn't seem that bad. But the new ones don't work either. Like you said it's probably a board issue. I'll post some pictures & the solution when it gets figured out.

#9 10 years ago

Coil pix

IMAG2801.jpgIMAG2801.jpg IMAG2802.jpgIMAG2802.jpg
#10 10 years ago
Quoted from adii:

Could be a few different things. Is the right flipper getting power?
Pretty sure NF is fliptronics. Sounds like a board issue to me. I'd send it out to have it gone through.

My buddy was back from vac & came by briefly to look at it. The right flipper is getting power, like 3x what it should & he is stumped at the moment. He checked the board & the power there is what it should be. Any suggestions? I'm sure he is researching a soultion. I'm sure it's bothering him. He said he has never seen anything like that before... Any suggestions?

#11 10 years ago

Hurricane is pre-fliptronics. How are the leaf switches on the flipper buttons? How about the End of Stroke Switches (normally closed)? Also, check your diodes on the coils.

If not one of those I'd say you have power driver board issues. I'd recommend having it gone through. I just sent one to Clive at Coin Op Cauldron a couple weeks ago for my T2. I was having flipper issues as well. He fixed quite a bit on it. It came back last night. I'll put it in this weekend and let you know if it helped.

Lastly, and I don't know if this could have anything to do with your flippers, but I would replace the ribbon cables just in case. You can get a set (probably 4) from Great Plains Electronics for under $20. I had some reliability and sound issues and my ribbon cables were original (T2 is the same age as Hurricane). I changed the ribbon cables and it was like new again.

If you need help tracking any of this down let me know.

#12 10 years ago

I appreciate the help we did check the flipper switches and the end of stroke switches and they were fine. I think he checked the diode. He did say something about a power board but he was going to look into it further. I guess that's our next stop. I will let you know how I make out. Thanks

#13 10 years ago

I put the driver board back in my T2 and it's good to go now. If you've already put in new coils, and nothing else is working, I'd go ahead and get the power driver board gone though.

As far as the coil sleeves being too tight? I'm stumped.

#14 10 years ago

just an update. We changed the leaf switches by the flippers and the end of stroke switches. We still were having the same problem so we dove into it deeper and found out that it was just a fuse! I had him look at the coils and even though the sleeves were tight we were able to use them. No problems now. thanks for all of the input!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 40.00
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-a-coil-be-too-tight and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.