(Topic ID: 66695)

Cabinets that are too tight to fit mirror blades

By herg

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

100_1177.jpg
    #1 10 years ago

How often do you guys run into this situation?

I have two NIB machines. One was a tight fit, and I have already scratched the blades despite being careful. The second machine is just too tight a fit, period.

#2 10 years ago

Slip wax paper between cab & playfield ,held in place w/ blue
    painters tape when lifting the playfield ..

#3 10 years ago

Sounds like a good tip. I haven't gotten any mirror blades so far because I didn't want to get my undies in a wedgie every time I open my game worrying about scratching something.

#4 10 years ago

The blades with a few minor scratches still look better than bare wood. I have used construction paper as a guard, but hadn't thought of waxed paper.

My main question, however, is about the case where the blades will not fit period. I was just wondering how often this happens.

#5 10 years ago

I would think that parchment paper would be better than wax paper. wax paper can get kind of sticky when it's warm. manilla file folders will work in a pinch too

#6 10 years ago

I have two sets of blades and 3 games to put them in. TZ and CFTBL seem to have a little gap, But the TAF playfield can stand straight up at 90 degrees on its own...all day (its tiiiight!). I am going to install them in the TZ and Creature, and do some studying on the TAF. and thanks for heads up on the construction paper/wax paper. I even got felt for the sides of the PF.

#7 10 years ago
    Quoted from burningman:

I even got felt for the sides of the PF.

I have tried felt a few times and it almost always ends up getting caught and catching on everything dragging glue residue everywhere e.t.c. - In my opinion stay away from felt strips.

(and yes I've tried thin, thick, medium felt e.t.c.)

#8 10 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

I would think that parchment paper would be better than wax paper. wax paper can get kind of sticky when it's warm. manilla file folders will work in a pinch too

It would have to be really warm (ok extremely hot) to affect wax
    paper . It's used for baking..

#9 10 years ago
    Quoted from moto_cat:

excellent tip. might try that when time comes.

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from fattrain:

I have tried felt a few times and it almost always ends up getting caught and catching on everything dragging glue residue everywhere e.t.c. - In my opinion stay away from felt strips.

thanks for the tip...

#11 10 years ago

I just wiggle the table to the other side a bit. Once in lift centered or you may scratch them. Worst case in a few years replace.

#12 10 years ago

Has anyone put mirror blades on WH2O or is it to tight on the left side?

#13 10 years ago

They are very tight on my MM, but the reason for that is that I have the lightning backboard mod, which apparently is a tad wider than the stock backboard.

Quoted from moto_cat:

Nice tip!

Quoted from fattrain:

Couldn't agree more.

Forget the felt. It isn't going to work.

#14 10 years ago

Good suggestions, all.

Say a blade is 1mm thick. I'm not sure of the real measurement, this is just an example. My Metallica might have close to 1mm clearance total. I can't even slide the playfield over to touch the cabinet, then slide a blade into the gap created on the opposite side. 2 blades? Forget about it.

Hwawonyu, have you taken delivery of Star Trek? Thoughts? I played in the 1 ball tournament at York. Flipped once, ball out the right outlane.

#15 10 years ago
    Quoted from fattrain:

Don't worry about thick or thin etc, use WIDE felt and fold the excess over the underside of the playfield to stop the felt edge snagging on the blade.

As an example, I've had it on my CV for over 2 years now and hasn't been caught once.

100_1177.jpg100_1177.jpg

#16 10 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

Hwawonyu, have you taken delivery of Star Trek? Thoughts? I played in the 1 ball tournament at York. Flipped once, ball out the right outlane.

I do have it. If you want to run it through some paces come over any evening.

#17 10 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

How fast are you raising your playfields to generate that much heat.

#18 10 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

The blades with a few minor scratches still look better than bare wood. I have used construction paper as a guard, but hadn't thought of waxed paper.
    My main question, however, is about the case where the blades will not fit period. I was just wondering how often this happens.

I have some on WPT and they baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarely fit.

I could NOT fit them on my TSPP (too bad as all the crazy colors in that game would have really looked cool) and just gave up trying to wiggle things around to make them fit.

#19 10 years ago

I dont have any blades but is it possible to some how use tiny screws on the top edge of the blades and remove them whenever you have to lift the play field? Just a thought.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cabinets-that-are-too-tight-to-fit-mirror-blades and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.