Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by PW79
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1367.JPG
    img_9523.jpg
    photo_(2).JPG
    photo_(1).JPG
    photo.JPG
    !cid_0913111733.jpg
    #1 11 years ago

Where do you guys get the blinged out brass/gold & chrome coin doors?

Pinballdecals.com is the only source I've found.

Also where do you find replacement coin door decals?

Word

#2 11 years ago

Coin door decals when transferred from the original coin door to the new one is simply a peel off and restick. I have done that for all my 'blinged' pins.

Joey @ Pinball decals is the only source directly, but z-plating does sell occasionally, and will plate your parts as well as Mike Chestnut, whom you can email directly.

--Rick.

#3 11 years ago

Mike will plate your door for about $270 including disassembly and reassembly. If you take it apart entirely then reassemble it yourself you can save $50. He can only do doors that are 100 % metal. That eliminates the older style coin doors.

You may be pretty happy painting the coin door yourself with the gold metallic rustoleum paint. The stuff is really nice and shiny. Try it and see. If you don't like it you can still send it off for plating. The paint dries to the touch in less than 5 minutes. Painting the door is about a 15 minute total job:

1) remove it
    2) tape the inserts in
    3) clean it with alcohol or laquer thinner
    4) spray it. Spray the 4 bolts
    5) it's almost dry with in the first minute if you use the paint I listed
    6) remount it. It can finish drying when it's mounted while you're playing the pin.

#4 11 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

Where do you guys get the blinged out brass/gold & chrome coin doors?
    Pinballdecals.com is the only source I've found.
    Also where do you find replacement coin door decals?
    Word

Me.

#5 11 years ago

How much alexlevy?

Thanks for the info guys

#6 11 years ago

mike chestnut all the way. my TOTAN and IJ

!cid_0913111733.jpg!cid_0913111733.jpg

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Mike will plate your door for about $270 including disassembly and reassembly. If you take it apart entirely then reassemble it yourself you can save $50. He can only do doors that are 100 % metal. That eliminates the older style coin doors.
    You may be pretty happy painting the coin door yourself with the gold metallic rustoleum paint. The stuff is really nice and shiny. Try it and see. If you don't like it you can still send it off for plating. The paint dries to the touch in less than 5 minutes. Painting the door is about a 15 minute total job:
    1) remove it
    2) tape the inserts in
    3) clean it with alcohol or laquer thinner
    4) spray it. Spray the 4 bolts
    5) it's almost dry with in the first minute if you use the paint I listed
    6) remount it. It can finish drying when it's mounted while you're playing the pin.

You know what you have a point, if I dont like it I can just send it off. In all honesty since my cabinet hardware isnt a high polish brass this may be a damn acceptable alternative. Thanks dude.

This is for my LOTR...

The legs, hinge, rails & shooter housing were powdercoated a brown/rust color & have gold writing on the side (by Back Alley). I want to add brass bolts/screws, gold buttons, gold speaker grills & a gold coin door.

The coin door doesnt have to be a reflective $400 component, I just need some contrast to the brown & continuity to the bolts, writing & buttons. The coin door is never used nor do my hands really come in contact with it so wear should be minimal. I spent the cheese on powdercoating the meat & potatoes that come in contact with the player so perhaps a spray painted door is just right.

If this paint is good enough for you & treasure cove then I will give it a shot

http://www.treasure-cove.net/TOTANapron.htm

Again, thanks. photo.JPGphoto.JPG photo_(1).JPGphoto_(1).JPG photo_(2).JPGphoto_(2).JPG img_9523.jpgimg_9523.jpg

#8 11 years ago

Damn, that's a nice apron!!!

TOM would also be a great pin to use a brass coin door.

#9 11 years ago

Skip the gold buttons, the plating wears off rather quickly and they look like crap when the yellow shows through.
    The gold flippers hold up well though.

I would have the door powdercoated to match the trim.

#10 11 years ago

You know what you have a point, if I dont like it I can just send it off. In all honesty since my cabinet hardware isnt a high polish brass this may be a damn acceptable alternative. Thanks dude.
    This is for my LOTR...
    The legs, hinge, rails & shooter housing were powdercoated a brown/rust color & have gold writing on the side (by Back Alley). I want to add brass bolts/screws, gold buttons, gold speaker grills & a gold coin door.
    The coin door doesnt have to be a reflective $400 component, I just need some contrast to the brown & continuity to the bolts, writing & buttons. The coin door is never used nor do my hands really come in contact with it so wear should be minimal. I spent the cheese on powdercoating the meat & potatoes that come in contact with the player so perhaps a spray painted door is just right.
    If this paint is good enough for you & treasure cove then I will give it a shot
    http://www.treasure-cove.net/TOTANapron.htm
    Again, thanks.

After looking at your pictures, I'd get a spray paint to match. Or to match as closely as possible. I powder coated my lotr all gold and painted the coindoor and legs. Here is a picture of how that coin door looks in the paint I recommended.

IMG_1367.JPGIMG_1367.JPG

#11 11 years ago

Good choice on the brown powdercoating.....I likey.

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

How much alexlevy?
    Thanks for the info guys

200. And I pc clear it when it's done. Brass isn't as rugged as chrome. Just send it to me disassembled.

#13 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

After looking at your pictures, I'd get a spray paint to match. Or to match as closely as possible. I powder coated my lotr all gold and painted the coindoor and legs. Here is a picture of how that coin door looks in the paint I recommended.

Markmon

Do you sand/prime or just paint?

#14 11 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

Markmon
    Do you sand/prime or just paint?

Just clean and paint. If you use the paint I suggested exactly no need to prime.

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

Skip the gold buttons, the plating wears off rather quickly and they look like crap when the yellow shows through.
    The gold flippers hold up well though.
    I would have the door powdercoated to match the trim.

You'll have to paint a stern door rather than powder it due to all the plastic parts.

#16 11 years ago

I planned on leaving the black plastics black, figured the plastic wouldnt bond well with the paint... Am I wrong?

Judging by your previous pics I'd assume its ok then.

Too bad its humid as shit in STL right now, otherwise I'd paint this sucker TONIGHT!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/brass-coin-doors and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.