Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 53 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by e4mafia
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ST_NIB.JPG
    There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 9 years ago

Hi all. I'm about to take the plunge and buy my first NIB. I have a few questions.

First, I see Game Exchange and Tilt Amusements are highly recommended. Any other favorite dealers to buy from?

Second, Is there any advantage to buying from a local distributor? If so, what are the best ones in the Massachusetts / New England area?

Third, Will all companies offer in-home set up? I know, I know. None of you would have someone set up your game for you. I've heard the debate and don't want to revisit it. The reason I'm considering it is that I have a very difficult basement to get into. When we put in my first pin, it took four of us (non-professionals) to get the game down there and lifted over the basement stairs. It has to be unboxed upstairs etc. Personally, I'm probably willing to pay a few hundred bucks to have someone take the worry and risk away from me. So, please don't mock me for this one.

Fourth, What should I expect in terms of time between order and delivery?

Thanks everyone!

#2 9 years ago

Trent is a great seller. Buy with confidence. I do.
    Allen

#3 9 years ago

You could get white gloves delivery from some sellers for a few hundred bucks have to ask on a case by case basis might be extra for a difficult access like you have.

What game are you getting ?

#4 9 years ago

What pin are you buying?

#5 9 years ago

http://www.littleshopofgames.com/

Curly is a good guy, give him call.
    Known him for about 15 years and bought several machines, all great deals.

#6 9 years ago

I'm going to get a Star Trek Pro. Really looking forward. Played the LE quite a bit at Pinball Wizard Arcade in Pelham, NH, but I can't see paying all that extra money. I do think I will get a shaker motor to go along with it, though.

#7 9 years ago

Nice....... yeah shaker motor is a must and maybe some mirror blades to cap it off.

#8 9 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

I'm going to get a Star Trek Pro. Really looking forward. Played the LE quite a bit at Pinball Wizard Arcade in Pelham, NH, but I can't see paying all that extra money. I do think I will get a shaker motor to go along with it, though.

I'd suggest looking at the HUO game offered on this site in MD by billsfandmd. It's beautiful and loaded. NAVL could be arranged to bring it downstairs for you.

#9 9 years ago

There is nothing better then opening a new pin, there's the distinct new pin smell, the nervousness and anticipation, plus you get the 1st game on it......... oh and the box makes a good cubby house for the kids.......haha

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from Mato:

oh and the box makes a good cubby house for the kids.......haha

That's an added bonus!

Quoted from Zdoor:

I'd suggest looking at the HUO game offered on this site in MD by billsfandmd. It's beautiful and loaded. NAVL could be arranged to bring it downstairs for you.

I thought about that, but chances are that I'm never going to do this again, so I want the NIB experience.

#11 9 years ago

I would recommend Trent as well.

#12 9 years ago
    Quoted from beepnutz:

http://www.littleshopofgames.com/
    Curly is a good guy, give him call.

Curly is NOT a good guy. He sold me a LOTR off of EBay 4 years ago and when I got it there was black Sharpee marker all over the head of the game, the Ballrog would never move and come back, it would just get stuck. He of course claims that it was working fine when it was shipped. Then, I had to pay for shipping back to Florida from Virginia just to get my money back.

Steer clear.

Stay with either JJ from GEX or Trent.

By the way, I learned something at least from the incident other than never dealing with Curly again. I learned that regular rubbing alcohol removes black magic marker. So if any of your kids ever do it to one of your machines or something else you'll now know what to do.

#13 9 years ago

From personal experience, I would recommend dealing with JJ at Game Exchange of Colorado instead of Trent at Tilt Amusements (I have dealt with both):

Reason #1: Trent charged me an additional fee to change my shipping address on a NIB purchase that was more than a month away from shipping. JJ did not charge me a fee to change my shipping address in the same situation. On another occasion, JJ was actually able to change my shipping address on the day my pin was shipping from Stern (again, at no additional cost).

Reason #2: I got my game faster from JJ than I did from Trent. JJ had my game shipped directly from Stern within a week. Trent delayed my game's delivery so that he could deliver it himself to coincide with a nearby tournament he was participating in.

Reason #3: When Stern released an updated magnet board for Metallica, JJ had the new boards sent out automatically to existing customers. With Trent, I did not get any notification about this upgrade. I found out about it from Pinside & had to manually e-mail him to request it.

Reason #4: Trent is sometimes difficult to get an immediate response from if he is playing/participating in a tournament (understandable) whereas JJ has always been available when I've called him.

From my experience, I would give the advantage to JJ at GEX.

#14 9 years ago

I'm close by and would be happy to help you. I can have a machine shipped right to you or a nearby freight terminal. I'm also close enough to swing by if you ever have a problem. I also own the arcade at Lanes and Games in Cambridge, MA.
    http://www.lanesandgamesarcade.com/
    I have all the newest Sterns on location there so you can try any title before you buy. You can PM for a quote. Thanks,

Mike

#15 9 years ago

Michael Pupo at Flipper Fidelity has great prices and has always treated me fairly if I had a problem. I have bought 4 games from him. He also may take a nice trade as well. He is in PA so you may be able to drive down and pick up versus shipping.

#16 9 years ago

Thanks all for the comments and suggestions. Anyone have any thoughts on my second and fourth questions?

#17 9 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

Thanks all for the comments and suggestions. Anyone have any thoughts on my second and fourth questions?

2. Yes and no. In my personal opinion, you are better off meeting guys in the community who can help you fix your machine if anything should happen or eventually shop it out. I wouldn't worry about too much going wrong with a NIB but you never do know. Worst case scenario you make another friend out of it and they can help you set it up Not really any reason to pay more and buy local. Obviously, if all things are equal then you go with the local deal. The other thing I should point out about a local deal is that you know the box will more than likely not get dinged in shipping which is always a possiblity.

4. When I ordered from GEX I got every game in like 3 business days. All games were in great shape.

#18 9 years ago

If buying local, keep in mind that you may be charged local sales tax which can add a few hundred dollars all by itself. This isn't a concern when buying from an out-of-state dealer.

#19 9 years ago

Thanks for the love guys OP I have st pros instock and ready to ship

For pricing call me on my cell 3039313685
    Or go to our website www.gameexchange.biz
    Use discount code
    Pinsidestpro (for cash, check, wire, major bank debit card)
    Or Pinsidestpro ( for credit card)

JJ

Post edited by Gexchange: typo while on cell phone

#20 9 years ago

I would go with Pinball Refinery or GEX. I can personally vouch for Pinball Refinery as stand-up guys that will make sure your happy with your purchase.

#21 9 years ago

Order from JJ or KingPin. Both nice guys that SUPPORT the pinball community and that should be highly valued, considering most other things are equal.

In case you missed it there was a great thread a little while back where JJ went above and beyond to help someone that had a pin damaged by a shipping company.

#22 9 years ago

Good thread as I hope to have this experience one day as well. Just waiting on the right game and advancements.

#23 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

In case you missed it there was a great thread a little while back where JJ went above and beyond to help someone that had a pin damaged by a shipping company.

Yep, that is how I knew to put him on the list. Thanks. I will start calling around to get quotes after the holiday weekend.

#24 9 years ago

I'am choosing Pinball Refinery for my first and second NIB purchases. I simply want some extras put on my games, and have read all positive experiences with them.

#25 9 years ago
    Quoted from bigdaddy07:

I would go with Pinball Refinery or GEX. I can personally vouch for Pinball Refinery as stand-up guys that will make sure your happy with your purchase.

Ditto. I dealt with both (on the same title even) and was/am very happy. I also agree that Kingpin is a good choice.

I happen to believe in many cases if you have a local dealer, it's worth it in the long run to take the sales tax hit and stay local. But only is the service is above average. Many dealers still treat home buyers as a nuisance, so local shouldn't trump good. I've bought multiple NIB pins from local dealers. For the ones still in business, the only one I'd repeat with is JJ. (I'm fortunate that Game Exchange is only 1/2 hour away)

#26 9 years ago

Gio (Zdoor on here) with Pinball Refinery is great for NIB games. Fantastic prices and great customer service.

#27 9 years ago

Make sure you get a quote from Cointaker as well!

#28 9 years ago

Pinball Refinery is my choice, especially if you want any mods. Great price and will mod it for you! Couldn't be happier with them. Great customer service as well!

#29 9 years ago

JJ at GEX will go above and beyond if you have any issue...he is very easy to reach and game will arrive in just a few days....I have bought two NIBs from him and hope to order a third soon.

#30 9 years ago

Trent/Tilt Amusements

#32 9 years ago

Are the Cointaker games NIB?

#33 9 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

Are the Cointaker games NIB?

Yes.

LTG : )™

2 weeks later
    #34 9 years ago

Hey all: So I finally got my Star Trek. I bought from Pinballmike217 here on pinside. I have to say I had a great experience with him. I was a somewhat nervous first time NIB buyer who needed some help setting up, and Mike did an excellent job talking me through everything. He stayed in constant contact through the purchasing process and answered all my questions. A lot of the distributors who were recommended in this thread were also quite responsive, but I felt more comfortable for this purchase going local. Mike delivered the pin himself to my house, help set it up and talked me through all the features of the new Sterns. I highly recommend him whether you are local to MA or not.

Here is a pic of the new purchase. A lot of fun, though I kind of suck at it so far.

ST_NIB.JPGST_NIB.JPG

#35 9 years ago

Congrats on the new pin!!

#36 9 years ago
    Quoted from UKCatsFan76:

Congrats on the new pin!!

Thanks. Now if I could just learn to make that warp ramp shot two times in a row. . . .

#37 9 years ago
    Quoted from Mato:

......... oh and the box makes a good cubby house for the kids.......haha

Definitely found this to be true last night. I think the kids had more fun with the box than with the pin!

#38 9 years ago

Lots of good choices and Pinside helps us find them. One of the best things about a site like this. I have personal experience with Trent x 2. Good experience both times.

#39 9 years ago

Thanks very much for the shout, Nokoro. It was great to meet you and I was glad I could help. Enjoy the new pin!!!!

#40 9 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

ny other favorite dealers to buy from?

Second, Is there any advantage to buying from a local distributor? If so, what are the best ones in the Massachusetts / New England area?

Third, Will all companies offer in-home set up?

I know it's not in your area, but wanted to give a shout out to Joystix Games in Houston (http://www.joystixamusements.com/). The owner Charlie is a great guy, and will work a deal with you. All his games are under warranty, and he will also take trade-ins if you want to swap games later on. And yes, he does home deliveries and also in home repairs. Yes, you will pay a little more when buying from a 'brick and mortar' store, but for me, these extra services are worth the cost.

#41 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballmike217:

Thanks very much for the shout, Nokoro. It was great to meet you and I was glad I could help. Enjoy the new pin!!!!

Thanks! Having a blast so far!

#42 9 years ago

Coin taker price shipped on my nib met le no one could touch.

#43 9 years ago

I have not bought a NIB game since my Family Guy back in the day from Pinball Sales (Jack). Since Jack no longer sells Stern games, I bought my new Iron Man from JJ at Colorado Game Exchange because he came highly recommended from a friend of mine that does a lot of business with him. I'm very glad I did. JJ was very helpful and I got a great deal, but more important, JJ took the time to answer my questions, talk shop and made me feel like a customer he has had for a long time even though this was my first time dealing with him.

Happy Father's Day to all the Dads on Pinside!

Rob
    Robsgameroom.com

#44 9 years ago
    Quoted from lllvjr:

Coin taker price shipped on my nib met le no one could touch.

Ditto for my STLE

#45 9 years ago

Trent/Tilt Amusements - great guy - buy with confidence!

#46 9 years ago

We've purchased multiple machines from JJ @ Game Exchange and he's been great to work with every time.

#47 9 years ago

Pinball Refinery, Gio & Steve , cool cats...

#48 9 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

I thought about that, but chances are that I'm never going to do this again, so I want the NIB experience.

Ha! That's what a lot of us said just before we bought our first NIB! Congrats on your new Star Trek!

#49 9 years ago

I am sure there are lots of good distributors out there as mentioned above, but my dealer is JJ at Game Exchange.

#50 9 years ago
    Quoted from VegasAlleycat:

Ha! That's what a lot of us said just before we bought our first NIB! Congrats on your new Star Trek!

Yeah, I figured I might backtrack from that statement at some point. I can imagine myself doing this again. Tons of fun!

There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-stern-distributors-and-buying-advice-for-nib-pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.