*BDK/STERN FLIPPER ISSUE* Any Ideas?

By MrBellMan

9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Hi all,

Hard to explain this one, but here it goes. Both flippers have full power and play fine. However, the left flipper has a strange issue. When the flipper is in the up position (flipper button pressed) and a ball hits the flipper, it does a mini flip by itself... I posted a video of the issue here:

Has anyone ever seen this before on a Stern machine? If so, how did you fix it? I did a search, but could not find and references to this or any way to address it.

Thanks for looking.

Rob Bell
Robsgameroom.com

#2 9 years ago

Diode or EOS switch is my guess

#3 9 years ago

This is not a diode issue. You end of stroke switch is adjusted incorrectly and engages too soon. It needs to be adjusted so the switch triggers later in the stroke. Lift the Playfield and move the flipper while watching and see how the mech closes the leaf switch blades then bend them accordingly

#4 9 years ago

I'll take a look and report back. Thanks

#5 9 years ago

Hi Mark,

Well, I adjusted the EOS switch but I still have the same issue. Actually, if I extend the EOS contact break at the very end of the flipper stroke, the flipper just falls into it's normal position when the ball hits it (just goes dead until I push the button again). I have 4 other Stern machines and all of the EOS settings are the same. I think there is something else going on. The flipper on the right does not have this issue.

#6 9 years ago

Perhaps your eos switch is dirty or not making good contact. You could try sanding the part between the blades to test. One way or the other, this has to be caused by EOS. And if you were to remove EOS, the flipper bat would just drop cold in your test.

The theory on how stern flippers work. There's a single pulse then hold power is applied until the flipper button is released. At any point while the flipper button is held if the end of stroke switch registers open, the cpu will send another high power pulse. This is seen when a ball flies into the raised flipper. The EOS should be close enough to the end of the stroke that if another high power pulse is sent that the player cannot notice the event happening. If the EOS is catching late then the cpu sends the second high powered pulse while the bat is slightly lowered and now the player sees the flipper do a mini flip.

There is no separate hold power circuit on sterns. So if the coil works at all then the hardware behind the flipper mech is working. The only issue that can cause this on a stern is a faulty or mis adjusted end of stroke switch.

Therefore, I would look into things like EOS wires making good contact, EOS adjustment. Or maybe just install a new EOS on the thing to be sure.

1 month later
#7 9 years ago

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I was just able to complete the above mentioned tweaks and such, but I'm still having the same issue. I even installed brand new flipper kit and EOS switchs, but it's making no difference.

I'm still getting phantom flips when the flipper button is pressed and the ball hits the raised flipper. The EOS switch is not only new, but it registers OK in the test menu as well. I completely understand the logic above and agree that it "should" be my EOS, but for the life of me I don't believe it is at this point.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Rob Bell
Robsgameroom.com

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from MrBellMan:

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I was just able to complete the above mentioned tweaks and such, but I'm still having the same issue. I even installed brand new flipper kit and EOS switchs, but it's making no difference.
I'm still getting phantom flips when the flipper button is pressed and the ball hits the raised flipper. The EOS switch is not only new, but it registers OK in the test menu as well. I completely understand the logic above and agree that it "should" be my EOS, but for the life of me I don't believe it is at this point.
Any other ideas?
Thanks,
Rob Bell
Robsgameroom.com

You really only have 3 things left to look at...the the flipper button switch (doubtful), coil (doubtful) or a logic/software issue.

Stern flipper coils use a single winding. When the flipper button is pressed, the machine fires the flipper coil for a long flip pulse (30 milliseconds or so) and when it detects the EOS switch open, the machine immediately follows with short pulses (maybe 2 milliseconds every 20 milliseconds) to keep the flipper active until the flipper button is released without applying full power to the flipper coil so the flipper coil doesn't burn up.

When Stern released the last ST update (1.5), something they changed affected the flipper code and occasionally the upper right flipper does this where it didn't before.

Things I would try one at a time in this order: a factory reset, download a fresh copy and reload the the last software revision, swap driver boards from another game, and swap CPU from another game. I know the last two are a PITA, but it may point to where the problem lies.

#9 9 years ago

Appreciate the feedback! I'll try that and report back.

Rob

10 months later
#10 8 years ago

Reviving an old topic - I had an Iron Man with the same problem - pulled the driver board and swapped - it worked. So I checked out the board - Q15 and D15 had been swapped, so I pulled both and replaced. Also put in a wire jumper from D15 to that tiny surface mount cap since the trace looked kind of iffy. Works like a champ now.

Scott

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 50.00
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

4,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Folsom, CA
$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 50.00
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bdkstern-flipper-issue-any-ideas and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.