Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by JDub1006
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

It seems like one thing goes and the rest follow. I replaced the micro switches in the batcave and they work just fine. Now the tech alert shows #30 Switch stuck open in batcave.

I checked the wires to the switch and playfield, all were connected. When I did a switch test the batcave exit switch didn’t register closed, only open. When I removed the switch and the tech error went away. I am assuming the switch is bad so I ordered a new switch.

Has anyone else had this problem before? Do switches go bad?

#2 12 years ago

Not an expert I'm afraid, but I know thats a microswitch in that position. You should hear a nice audible click when the switch is toggled manually. It's quite unusual for a microswitch to bust, so you may be looking at a wiring problem

#3 12 years ago

I thought the same thing. It tells me the switch is stuck open. When I removed the switch completely the tech error went away. All wiring looks good.

I hate to say it, but this may be above me.

#4 12 years ago

The error will be back soon enough if the switch is removed entirely. Did you connect it correctly? Right wires to right pins?

Did you check the switch outside the machine?

#5 12 years ago

DrAzzy-

Yes, it only had two wires, green to the middle and white /blue to the outside left. The switch was not clicking like the others, it looked like the red button on the switch was stuck in the down position. I just ordered another switch for the batcave. I just dont understand why a switch gets stuck open.

#6 12 years ago

I've seen plenty of them go bad in the later games you can adust them get them woring in test and a few games later they go bad again now in the Sys 11 eara and wpc games I see very few go bad.

#7 12 years ago

Well if it's any other problem than the switch I think I am SOL! I'll have to call in the experts at $45 an hour. Is there pinball insurance out there?

#8 12 years ago
Quoted from JDub1006:

I just dont understand why a switch gets stuck open.

How can a switch go bad? It's this itty-bitty system of springs, a lever and a pivot, all made out of metal that can corrode, in a tiny plastic case made out of aging plastic, used in a high vibration environment and potentially getting pinball wax spilled on it. It's amazing they don't fail more often!

And the reason I ask about how it's connected is that there's a diode and 2 wires to go on 3 contacts, and only one combination of which wire is on which contact and what direction the diode is connected in that will work, so it's very possible to wire it up improperly.

#9 12 years ago

Sounds like just a bad switch order another and with some simple de-soldering and soldering you should be back in business. Switches do break from time to time once you get used to switching them in and out it is not a big deal. Good luck Jdub, if you do get a tech out make sure to watch what they do and maybe help if possible. Ask plenty of questions. That way in the future you can handle that type of stuff.

#10 12 years ago

Yes switches do go bad after going through so many cycles over the years
and they dont last forever,Just replace it with a new one and make sure
the wiring and especially the diode are in the correct position.Always take
pics or notes before removing any wires or diodes.

#11 12 years ago

I think the switch is bad. There is no diode that goes to this switch (at least that is what the Manuel states). The diode goes to the back of the playfield (which was checked). There is tons of vibration with the batcave exit kicker maybe that is what was going on as 2 switches failed at the same time.

I'm glad to hear switches can fail, I think i'll wait for the new one to come and install it first to see if there is an issue going forward.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 259.00
$ 27.95
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/batman-forever-issue-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.