(Topic ID: 5699)

bally rapid fire problems with s&t and targets

By brokenwallet

12 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

hi guys i am new at this but am learning fast, i have a bally rapid fire with a ultimate mpu installed, first problem i have is that i have no sound, during diagnostic check of led i am only getting 3 flashes wich would indicate i am having a problem with u11 or u12, so i swapped the u11 pia out for another....same thing, i noticed i do not have a chip installed at u12 but read some games dont and i know this board is original so i assume i dont have one, so im stumped. next problem is some of the targets are dead, they light up but dont go off when you hit them, i tried switching them around but the problem stays at the same target, any ideas? any help would be appreciated

9 months later
#2 11 years ago

Did you try wiggling the socketed IC's ont the S&T and rebooting?Ive fixed a few of these sound boards that just had corroded or sloppy sockets also check the main larger connector if one of the pins are not making contact it will stop half way through diognostic startup most likley a crap socket and this S&T would be missing the voice IC becouse there is sound only on this board.
Ifyou have several targets dead see which switch matrix wires they have in common if its the same wire most likley a bad pin on the sw matrix connector or diode on the mpu also check the connector ont the opticle board might have poor connector or cracked solder joint

5 years later
#3 6 years ago
Quoted from brokenwallet:

hi guys i am new at this but am learning fast, i have a bally rapid fire with a ultimate mpu installed, first problem i have is that i have no sound, during diagnostic check of led i am only getting 3 flashes wich would indicate i am having a problem with u11 or u12, so i swapped the u11 pia out for another....same thing, i noticed i do not have a chip installed at u12 but read some games dont and i know this board is original so i assume i dont have one, so im stumped. next problem is some of the targets are dead, they light up but dont go off when you hit them, i tried switching them around but the problem stays at the same target, any ideas? any help would be appreciated

Sorry for the resurrection, just wondering if this was ever fixed? I'm having the same issue with Bally Rapid Fire, I get 3rd flash but no 4th (5th not required for Rapid Fire). I've replaced all caps except the 2uf and the 4700uf caps, didn't have them on hand. I've replaced the 6821 at U11 with a known working chip, and gave it a new SIP socket. I re-flowed the solder on the connector pins and they look in great shape. I get static when I adjust the sound pot up and down so at least I know the speaker's working. I even tried swapping in a new Ultimate MPU to rule out the MPU but it didn't help.

Should I replace all the sockets that have chips? It doesn't seem necessary when I get to the 3rd flash and I don't like tempting ruining the board with unnecessary soldering. Should I order in the last 3 caps to be sure they're not the problem? Any insight is much appreciated.

Just one more flash and I'm there! Would be great to have sound... Thanks.

PS FWIW I had a target that wasn't registering, like the original poster. I took the opto board out and reflowed the solder on the connector and it was all good.

1 month later
#4 6 years ago

I saw someone post about a similar problem and it really helped me out. It made me realize that my jumpers were backwards for the sound pots and that the previous owner had them set to bypass the sound and speech pots on the board. I needed the pots to be working, and what I read about them on the schematics was confusing enough that I thought they were in the right way. I assume the previous owner replaced the sound board but didn't know to change the jumpers.

I changed them from "M" to "N", and "CC" to "DD" and I have sound, and working pots! Cheers.

Oh, and for Rapid Fire, only 3 flashes happen on the Squalk n Talk board.

#5 6 years ago

Wow, you own a Rapid Fire!!! And it almost works?? Amazing.
One of my last projects at Bally. Had a sample in the employee lunchroom and I could never get it to work more than a few hours. Most of these were dumped into landfills or converted into other games like Centaur or EBD limited. Post a video of this game running if you can.

1 month later
#6 6 years ago
Quoted from BigAl56:

Wow, you own a Rapid Fire!!! And it almost works?? Amazing.
One of my last projects at Bally. Had a sample in the employee lunchroom and I could never get it to work more than a few hours. Most of these were dumped into landfills or converted into other games like Centaur or EBD limited. Post a video of this game running if you can.

Hey BigAl, Yes it works amazingly well. It had some issues with the balls jamming up at first, but I've gone through all the workings and cleared everything up... works great now! I haven't had a problem with it since then and I'm hoping it'll stay this way for a while. I did make a video on YouTube of me playing poorly but the game plays perfectly. It takes time to learn all the strategies and timing, and I'm still not there but I'm getting better. I've had it over 1 million many times but have yet to reach the elusive 2 million mark. I think if I made it that far I'd be exhausted, but it would feel like I really accomplished something!

It's cool to hear from someone who actually built these things. Cheers!

1 week later
#7 6 years ago

Hi. How did you fix you ball jam problem?

#8 6 years ago

There were parts of the troughs that they roll through that needed to be cleaned and adjusted. Also there were optical swithches that needed cleaning and touched up solder on their connector pins. If they can't read the balls coming through, the whole process quits. There was a fair bit of going through it to find all these issues, it just meant running it and observing everything that happened in the process.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 199.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-rapid-fire-problems-with-st-and-targets and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.