PB Pink pinball, leds in Shooter Lane.JPG
PB Clear Plastic Post with Pink Leds.JPG
PB Stand Up Targets-556.JPG
PB coin door free game switch.JPG
Playboy new door restoration1.JPG
Playboy new door restoration2.JPG
Playboy new door restoration.JPG
Playboy new door restoration3.JPG
There are 101 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 11 years ago

I said it before, but I'll say it again.

Nice job. Very, very, very nice job!

#52 11 years ago
Quoted from ChipMor:

Almost forgot...
I was going to clear my cabinet as well but was afraid it would look too glossy and then I saw this posting. It looks great in the photos!
How do you like the look of the finished product? Do you think you would do it again?

since i work in a bodyshop i had a lot of possibilities.
because it's white i went with glossy and in person with the polished metal it looks great, goes well together.
my next cab project is Space Shuttle, i have a few choices, because it's a dark color, i'd probably go with semi or satin (frosted), also my friend who works with me (he paint planes for bombardier) said he will try to get the same clear they have... can't wait to try that!

playboy:
installed the speaker (also made a sticker for it with the playboy logo) and the base (glossy black) in the cabinet. i always find/have something to had on this machine, next chrome, coin door.... and so on...

#53 11 years ago

That is impressive, and on one of my wish list machines too!

2 months later
#54 11 years ago

finally decided to install the overlay i had long before cpr made the new playfield.
always had good succes with overlays, so took the old playfield off the wall and did it, here are the steps.

sanding everything off.

Playboy_old_PF.JPGPlayboy_old_PF.JPG 01_-_Playboy_PF_(before).JPG01_-_Playboy_PF_(before).JPG 02_-_Almost_Done.JPG02_-_Almost_Done.JPG

#55 11 years ago

sanding is done and cleared before applying the overlay.
also re-painted the backside.

03_-_sanded_before_clear.JPG03_-_sanded_before_clear.JPG Playboy_PF_cleared_(before_overlay).JPGPlayboy_PF_cleared_(before_overlay).JPG backside_of_PF_1.JPGbackside_of_PF_1.JPG

#56 11 years ago

removed the part of the overlay i didn't want, i like the real wood better. now fits perfectly.
it's now installed, re-made every holes.
my next step is the clear.

1_-_overlay_on_top_of_PF_(cheking_ever.jpg1_-_overlay_on_top_of_PF_(cheking_ever.jpg 4_-_full_pf_overlay_installed_(not_cle.jpg4_-_full_pf_overlay_installed_(not_cle.jpg

#57 11 years ago

Machine looks Fabulous! How much you want for it!

#58 11 years ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

Machine looks Fabulous! How much you want for it!

i have this guy that was in my basement, he's the one buying that playfield with the overlay for his playboy. i told him before he got here that i have a brand new playboy fully restored.

he asked the same question when he saw the game, i said, never but if someone show up with 5k maybe.

i'm not done yet, well i'm never done. i just made a test with leds in the machine with pink retro from cointaker... the game looks gorgeous.

#59 11 years ago

Again,
Looks just great, wish my EBD looked that nice.....

1 month later
#60 10 years ago

final update on my friends playfield overlay i did (from my old one), he picked it up last weekend.

i think for an overlay when nothing else is available, not to bad.
he's very happy with the result.
did the swap and painted the wood guides (whatever you wanna call it) also. wood_guides_painted_and_final.JPGwood_guides_painted_and_final.JPG playboy_swap_done_2.JPGplayboy_swap_done_2.JPG playboy_overlay_final_1.JPGplayboy_overlay_final_1.JPG

#61 10 years ago

last 3.

playboy_overlay_final_2.JPGplayboy_overlay_final_2.JPG playboy_overlay_final_3.JPGplayboy_overlay_final_3.JPG playboy_overlay_final_4.JPGplayboy_overlay_final_4.JPG

#62 10 years ago

Can you make and upload a hd video of your restored playboy with the retro pink LEDs? This is too much awesome not to see in live action!

#63 10 years ago
Quoted from Nemesis:

Can you make and upload a hd video of your restored playboy with the retro pink LEDs? This is too much awesome not to see in live action!

that'd be cool, let me see what i can do.

the pink retro leds (g.i) in playboy is amazing but not everywhere, just certain places.
leds in the inserts make a big difference also.

3 weeks later
#64 10 years ago

I just happened upon a Playboy. Certainly wasn't seeking this one out but the backglass looked so good I bought it for that alone. Now I just found this restoration. I don't know yet if I'm motivated as this looks spectacular or overwhelmed as I just don't think I have this kind of skill. But I guess you never learn until you try, right? So I've never played this game before. Is this just a looker or is it actually fun to play when it's all said and done?

Oh, I've found the user manuals and troubleshooting guide but I've yet to find the actual schematics. Are those available somewhere?

#65 10 years ago
Quoted from wmsrocks:

I just happened upon a Playboy. Certainly wasn't seeking this one out but the backglass looked so good I bought it for that alone. Now I just found this restoration. I don't know yet if I'm motivated as this looks spectacular or overwhelmed as I just don't think I have this kind of skill. But I guess you never learn until you try, right? So I've never played this game before. Is this just a looker or is it actually fun to play when it's all said and done?
Oh, I've found the user manuals and troubleshooting guide but I've yet to find the actual schematics. Are those available somewhere?

hi, well this is one of the first game i played, so yes to me it's nostalgia.
1978, so gameplay is very easy, different game for different people i guess.

restoring pinball is part of the fun (well, it is for me) just make little steps, take your time, learn and you'll get there.

schematics is at the bottom of this page:

http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?gid=1823

1 year later
#66 9 years ago

After sanding how do you level the inserts or did you replace them ??

#67 9 years ago

Just picked up mine and i will read your post again and again

This post will be a lesson

Congrats

#68 9 years ago
Quoted from REMPins:

After sanding how do you level the inserts or did you replace them ??

if you are talking about the playfield with the overlay i did for my friend;

sanded the playfield down (removing the artwork) this help a lot to level everything.
i gave it 2 coats of automotive clear to seal everything, sanded it down and it was levelled, i was lucky with the inserts, no problem.

after that i was ready to install the overlay.

#69 9 years ago
Quoted from lb45:

Just picked up mine and i will read your post again and again
This post will be a lesson
Congrats

thanks,

well since it's back from the dead here's what i did on this machine last spring;

coin door, completely re done, (well, almost, little thing that bugs me like the lamp sockets)
can't find the pictures of the old door right now but here's the final result.
polished everything, re paint the inside, re wired, new front door, new coin mech,new switch to add games.....

did something extra for the coin door plate (bunny with a pink led behind).

and so many other things i did to this machine.
black bunny behind the back box.
clear plastic post (like the original) on the playfield with pink leds.
new drop targets (man, what i difference)
new stand up targets.
ect.... and i'm not done yet.

Playboy new door restoration3.JPGPlayboy new door restoration3.JPG
Playboy new door restoration.JPGPlayboy new door restoration.JPG
Playboy new door restoration2.JPGPlayboy new door restoration2.JPG
Playboy new door restoration1.JPGPlayboy new door restoration1.JPG

PB coin door free game switch.JPGPB coin door free game switch.JPG
#70 9 years ago

a few more.

PB Stand Up Targets-556.JPGPB Stand Up Targets-556.JPG PB Clear Plastic Post with Pink Leds.JPGPB Clear Plastic Post with Pink Leds.JPG PB Pink pinball, leds in Shooter Lane.JPGPB Pink pinball, leds in Shooter Lane.JPG
#71 9 years ago

my buddy beatmaster is the best …he did my playboy and space invaders..new overlays on both….for the last 6 Months we have been modding out our star trek pros together…just wish we didn't live 6 hours apart

#72 9 years ago

also made new score cards.

Playboy Bally Custom Score Cards.jpgPlayboy Bally Custom Score Cards.jpg
#73 9 years ago
Quoted from itshowtime:

my buddy beatmaster is the best …he did my playboy and space invaders..new overlays on both….for the last 6 Months we have been modding out our Star Trek pros together…just wish we didn't live 6 hours apart

thanks ron.

wait t'il you see what i came up with on ST pro (yep another thing).

#74 9 years ago

well i guess its calling time again

#75 9 years ago
Quoted from itshowtime:

well i guess its calling time again

gotta keep some surprises

#76 9 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

thanks,
well since it's back from the dead here's what i did on this machine last spring;
coin door, completely re done, (well, almost, little thing that bugs me like the lamp sockets)
can't find the pictures of the old door right now but here's the final result.
polished everything, re paint the inside, re wired, new front door, new coin mech,new switch to add games.....
did something extra for the coin door plate (bunny with a pink led behind).
and so many other things i did to this machine.
black bunny behind the back box.
clear plastic post (like the original) on the playfield with pink leds.
new drop targets (man, what i difference)
new stand up targets.
ect.... and i'm not done yet.

Playboy new door restoration3.JP... 42 KB

Playboy new door restoration.JPG 54 KB

Playboy new door restoration2.JP... 50 KB

Playboy new door restoration1.JP... 49 KB

PB coin door free game switch.JP... 52 KB

Stunning machine! Who made the cab? Marco has the coin door lamp sockets. E120-162. Search lamp socket and go to page 5. This socket doesn't ground to the mounting tab which is what you need.

#77 9 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Stunning machine! Who made the cab? Marco has the coin door lamp sockets. E120-162. Search lamp socket and go to page 5. This socket doesn't ground to the mounting tab which is what you need.

thanks, i made the cab with a old friend.
yes i do have the sockets (long time ago), just didn't get to it yet.

#78 9 years ago

Nice, I would love to buy one of those cabs. Doug Huse not very easy to get a hold of these days.

Are your coin door inner parts powder coated?

#79 9 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Nice, I would love to buy one of those cabs. Doug Huse not very easy to get a hold of these days.
Are your coin door inner parts powder coated?

i did a lot of buffing, the rest of the parts are painted or new but sanded everything smooth before painting, i used silver/chrome.

attention to details make a big difference, down to the last screw.

1 month later
#80 9 years ago

Who sells that overlay?

#81 9 years ago
Quoted from REMPins:

Who sells that overlay?

it was from classic arcade a long time ago, now he's only on ebay.

#82 9 years ago

added a small purple (looks white in the picture but it is purple in person) led strip under the apron.

it's a 6.3 volts led strip comet pinball, plugged into the g.i.

also added a pink pinball in the machine, looks cool but doesn't act or feel like a regular pinball.

playboy leds strip under apron.JPGplayboy leds strip under apron.JPG

playboy pink pinball.JPGplayboy pink pinball.JPG

#83 9 years ago

All I can say is WOW! You've done an amazing job on this machine.

#84 9 years ago

BEAUTIFUL! I have a Playboy that is set to get the same treatment and this sets the bar. The only thing I can add: Get the NiCad off the MPU!!!!

#85 9 years ago
Quoted from JBK:

BEAUTIFUL! I have a Playboy that is set to get the same treatment and this sets the bar. The only thing I can add: Get the NiCad off the MPU!!!!

yep, it was changed almost 2 years ago with a capacitor.

batterie replacement.JPGbatterie replacement.JPG
#86 9 years ago

The game is truly spectacular! You seem to be a perfectionist (at least about this machine). I hope you corrected and reprinted the custom score card ( to remove the extra "for" in "1 replay for for matching last two score numbers with match numbers").

#87 9 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

The game is truly spectacular! You seem to be a perfectionist (at least about this machine). I hope you corrected and reprinted the custom score card ( to remove the extra "for" in "1 replay for for matching last two score numbers with match numbers").

wow thanks, good eye, i didn't saw it..... it fixed.

#88 9 years ago

I saw a guy in Australia that sells them for $350, sounds a bit high.

#89 9 years ago
Quoted from REMPins:

I saw a guy in Australia that sells them for $350, sounds a bit high.

$350 for the machine?

if so, i'd buy 4 more.

#90 9 years ago

@Beatmaster:
Where did you get the pink ball ?

#91 9 years ago
Quoted from lb45:

@Beatmaster:
Where did you get the pink ball ?

i was lucky enough to get one from a pinsider.

this is where they come from: they used to be in pack of 4 only but i think he was selling them individually for a limited time not too long ago

http://shop.modmypin.com

7 months later
#92 8 years ago

just added a little something new from www.Pinball-Mods.com

clear cabinet flipper button and a clear strap with a pink led, great add on for anyone with a playboy.

early_ss_clear_flipper_button.jpgearly_ss_clear_flipper_button.jpg

early_ss_clear_flipper_button_on.jpgearly_ss_clear_flipper_button_on.jpg

early_ss_clear_flipper_button_on1.jpgearly_ss_clear_flipper_button_on1.jpg

#93 8 years ago

I want to repaint my cabinet. what colors and where to buy?

#94 8 years ago
Quoted from kjgolf:

I want to repaint my cabinet. what colors and where to buy?

Just 3 colors.

White, Black and Barbie Pink.

Any hardware store will have it.

#95 8 years ago

exactly, i think it was at home depot, berry pink. (rust-oleum)

#96 8 years ago

BOB ..your taking my ideas about the clear flipper buttons with pink LEDS

#97 8 years ago
Quoted from itshowtime:

BOB ..your taking my ideas about the clear flipper buttons with pink LEDS

yeah you did this on your playboy, but this is like the original.

and this is not something new to me.

#98 8 years ago

Amazing, I like the pink ball and the clear button with led !!!

#99 8 years ago

I just bought a Playboy that needs restoration work. This thread is awesome!

Sadly I have nowhere near this level of skill and don't know where to begin. I guess repainting the cabinet is a good start.

2 years later
#100 6 years ago

Can any of you tell me what color paint i need to use on the cabinet, make of paint, type of coat, color name, please....i have a original and just need to touch up a few black , white areas. So please please let me know.

20180206_193722 (resized).jpg20180206_193722 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Corbin, KY
2,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Macomb, MI
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
San Diego, CA
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 11.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Coffs Harbour, NS
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 101 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-playboy-restoration/page/2?hl=tflick and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.