PB Pink pinball, leds in Shooter Lane.JPG
PB Clear Plastic Post with Pink Leds.JPG
PB Stand Up Targets-556.JPG
PB coin door free game switch.JPG
Playboy new door restoration1.JPG
Playboy new door restoration2.JPG
Playboy new door restoration.JPG
Playboy new door restoration3.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider beatmaster.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 12 years ago

just like to share my new restoration.

cabinet was a mess, playfield was shot, a lot of rust but did save the backbox.

here's what i've done:
made a new cabinet
new cpr playfield
new plastic set
bumper caps
apron re-done
and a lot more...
and a lot of buffing.

also cleared the backbox and cabinet. (something i wanted to try)

here's a few pics before and after.

01_-_Old_Cabinet_Back_Left.JPG01_-_Old_Cabinet_Back_Left.JPG

#2 12 years ago

more

02_-_Old_Cabinet_Front_right.JPG02_-_Old_Cabinet_Front_right.JPG 03_-_Old_Cabinet_Top_View_Inside.JPG03_-_Old_Cabinet_Top_View_Inside.JPG

#3 12 years ago

new cabinet
primer
and base coat done

03_-_New_Cabinet_(Wood)_3.JPG03_-_New_Cabinet_(Wood)_3.JPG Playboy_backbox_(ready_primer).JPGPlayboy_backbox_(ready_primer).JPG 08_-_Cabinet_Primed_right.JPG08_-_Cabinet_Primed_right.JPG Backbox-cab_(base_coat_done_right_side.jpgBackbox-cab_(base_coat_done_right_side.jpg Backbox_(base_coat_done).JPGBackbox_(base_coat_done).JPG Backbox-cab_(base_coat_done)_2.JPGBackbox-cab_(base_coat_done)_2.JPG

#5 12 years ago

first stencil
second stencil
apron before and after
lockdown bar assembly

Cabinet_(first_stencil_ready).JPGCabinet_(first_stencil_ready).JPG Cabinet_(first_stencil_color_done).JPGCabinet_(first_stencil_color_done).JPG Cabinet_(second_stencil_ready).JPGCabinet_(second_stencil_ready).JPG Cabinet-backbox_(second_stencil_done)..jpgCabinet-backbox_(second_stencil_done)..jpg Lockdown_bar_ass._before_after.jpgLockdown_bar_ass._before_after.jpg Apron_before_and_after.jpgApron_before_and_after.jpg

#7 12 years ago

all paint done and cleared
did a lot of adjusment on the stencils

Backbox_final.JPGBackbox_final.JPG Cabinet_final.JPGCabinet_final.JPG Cabinet-Backbox_(cleared).JPGCabinet-Backbox_(cleared).JPG

#10 12 years ago

here's what it looks like fully assembled

what left to do; the interior of the door and get my new speaker
and i don't know what's holding me from buying and front door and side rails... will see!
pic will follow soon when i'm done.

thanks.

Playboy_2_full_front.JPGPlayboy_2_full_front.JPG Playboy_4_rollover.JPGPlayboy_4_rollover.JPG Playboy_5_sideway.JPGPlayboy_5_sideway.JPG Playboy_6_side.JPGPlayboy_6_side.JPG Playboy_7_backbox_right.JPGPlayboy_7_backbox_right.JPG Playboy_8_front_cab.JPGPlayboy_8_front_cab.JPG

#11 12 years ago

some more

Playboy_9_playfield_right.JPGPlayboy_9_playfield_right.JPG Playboy_10_backbox_left.JPGPlayboy_10_backbox_left.JPG Playboy_11_backbox_adjustment_cards.JPGPlayboy_11_backbox_adjustment_cards.JPG

#19 12 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

I saw another Playboy someone had restored and they painted the plumb bob/roll ball tilt wood square the same pink color as the pink in the cabinet stencils. It complimented the rest of the machine.

yeah i saw it too (pinballmike), very nice indeed.

did the same thing but black, but no stencil inside. i wanted to see the new wood.

#22 12 years ago

Um, WOW!
What did you use on the lockbar to have it clean up so nice?

something similar to this.

934.jpg934.jpg circular-abrasive-nylon-brush-for-clea.jpgcircular-abrasive-nylon-brush-for-clea.jpg wire-brushes-300x300.jpgwire-brushes-300x300.jpg

#26 12 years ago

thanks everyone.

here's a few pics from the inside, didn't have the time to pick up the new speaker.

inside_cab_1.JPGinside_cab_1.JPG inside_cab_2.JPGinside_cab_2.JPG inside_cab_3.JPGinside_cab_3.JPG

#27 12 years ago

forgot the pics from the old playfield.

before cpr came out with the new playfield i had an overlay few years ago,
should i put it on?
do you guys think it will sell if i do it ? ... if not i can alway put it on my wall.

Playboy_old_PF_(Flash).JPGPlayboy_old_PF_(Flash).JPG Playboy_old_PF.JPGPlayboy_old_PF.JPG

2 weeks later
#33 12 years ago
Quoted from witty_el_diablo:

Beat Master! You would not happen to have those stencils still, I was wondering if i could do a long distance borrow, rent, or possible buy them from you!
I just got the last cpr playfield! The last 3 projects for my playboy restore deal with the cab, putting the playfield in and fixing the sound.
Thanks!

no i dont have it anymore, i did my best to save it but with the paint it was impossible...

as for the old playfield i will probably try to install an overlay i have, maybe sell it cheap after that... will see.

7 months later
#46 11 years ago
Quoted from mg81:

You beat me to saying it, I can't believe that old battery is on the MPU. A capacitor works so well on these pins, it seems a crazy to even bother with batteries.
The best $4 and 15 minutes of work I ever spent on my Playboy.

wow i didn't saw the reply.. sorry, where was i?

yes it's on my things to do on this machine : Capacitor, Radial Electroltyic, 1.F, 5.5V.

thank to the others for the kind words.
machine is not 100% original anymore but damn nice and better then the original.
how many hours... honestly i don't know... a lot, but thats not important, i like doing that, i think i have more fun fixing it and i still work on it sometimes changing this and that, thats all part of the hobby.

3 weeks later
#52 11 years ago
Quoted from ChipMor:

Almost forgot...
I was going to clear my cabinet as well but was afraid it would look too glossy and then I saw this posting. It looks great in the photos!
How do you like the look of the finished product? Do you think you would do it again?

since i work in a bodyshop i had a lot of possibilities.
because it's white i went with glossy and in person with the polished metal it looks great, goes well together.
my next cab project is Space Shuttle, i have a few choices, because it's a dark color, i'd probably go with semi or satin (frosted), also my friend who works with me (he paint planes for bombardier) said he will try to get the same clear they have... can't wait to try that!

playboy:
installed the speaker (also made a sticker for it with the playboy logo) and the base (glossy black) in the cabinet. i always find/have something to had on this machine, next chrome, coin door.... and so on...

2 months later
#54 11 years ago

finally decided to install the overlay i had long before cpr made the new playfield.
always had good succes with overlays, so took the old playfield off the wall and did it, here are the steps.

sanding everything off.

Playboy_old_PF.JPGPlayboy_old_PF.JPG 01_-_Playboy_PF_(before).JPG01_-_Playboy_PF_(before).JPG 02_-_Almost_Done.JPG02_-_Almost_Done.JPG

#55 11 years ago

sanding is done and cleared before applying the overlay.
also re-painted the backside.

03_-_sanded_before_clear.JPG03_-_sanded_before_clear.JPG Playboy_PF_cleared_(before_overlay).JPGPlayboy_PF_cleared_(before_overlay).JPG backside_of_PF_1.JPGbackside_of_PF_1.JPG

#56 11 years ago

removed the part of the overlay i didn't want, i like the real wood better. now fits perfectly.
it's now installed, re-made every holes.
my next step is the clear.

1_-_overlay_on_top_of_PF_(cheking_ever.jpg1_-_overlay_on_top_of_PF_(cheking_ever.jpg 4_-_full_pf_overlay_installed_(not_cle.jpg4_-_full_pf_overlay_installed_(not_cle.jpg

#58 11 years ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

Machine looks Fabulous! How much you want for it!

i have this guy that was in my basement, he's the one buying that playfield with the overlay for his playboy. i told him before he got here that i have a brand new playboy fully restored.

he asked the same question when he saw the game, i said, never but if someone show up with 5k maybe.

i'm not done yet, well i'm never done. i just made a test with leds in the machine with pink retro from cointaker... the game looks gorgeous.

1 month later
#60 10 years ago

final update on my friends playfield overlay i did (from my old one), he picked it up last weekend.

i think for an overlay when nothing else is available, not to bad.
he's very happy with the result.
did the swap and painted the wood guides (whatever you wanna call it) also. wood_guides_painted_and_final.JPGwood_guides_painted_and_final.JPG playboy_swap_done_2.JPGplayboy_swap_done_2.JPG playboy_overlay_final_1.JPGplayboy_overlay_final_1.JPG

#61 10 years ago

last 3.

playboy_overlay_final_2.JPGplayboy_overlay_final_2.JPG playboy_overlay_final_3.JPGplayboy_overlay_final_3.JPG playboy_overlay_final_4.JPGplayboy_overlay_final_4.JPG

#63 10 years ago
Quoted from Nemesis:

Can you make and upload a hd video of your restored playboy with the retro pink LEDs? This is too much awesome not to see in live action!

that'd be cool, let me see what i can do.

the pink retro leds (g.i) in playboy is amazing but not everywhere, just certain places.
leds in the inserts make a big difference also.

3 weeks later
#65 10 years ago
Quoted from wmsrocks:

I just happened upon a Playboy. Certainly wasn't seeking this one out but the backglass looked so good I bought it for that alone. Now I just found this restoration. I don't know yet if I'm motivated as this looks spectacular or overwhelmed as I just don't think I have this kind of skill. But I guess you never learn until you try, right? So I've never played this game before. Is this just a looker or is it actually fun to play when it's all said and done?
Oh, I've found the user manuals and troubleshooting guide but I've yet to find the actual schematics. Are those available somewhere?

hi, well this is one of the first game i played, so yes to me it's nostalgia.
1978, so gameplay is very easy, different game for different people i guess.

restoring pinball is part of the fun (well, it is for me) just make little steps, take your time, learn and you'll get there.

schematics is at the bottom of this page:

http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?gid=1823

1 year later
#68 9 years ago
Quoted from REMPins:

After sanding how do you level the inserts or did you replace them ??

if you are talking about the playfield with the overlay i did for my friend;

sanded the playfield down (removing the artwork) this help a lot to level everything.
i gave it 2 coats of automotive clear to seal everything, sanded it down and it was levelled, i was lucky with the inserts, no problem.

after that i was ready to install the overlay.

#69 9 years ago
Quoted from lb45:

Just picked up mine and i will read your post again and again
This post will be a lesson
Congrats

thanks,

well since it's back from the dead here's what i did on this machine last spring;

coin door, completely re done, (well, almost, little thing that bugs me like the lamp sockets)
can't find the pictures of the old door right now but here's the final result.
polished everything, re paint the inside, re wired, new front door, new coin mech,new switch to add games.....

did something extra for the coin door plate (bunny with a pink led behind).

and so many other things i did to this machine.
black bunny behind the back box.
clear plastic post (like the original) on the playfield with pink leds.
new drop targets (man, what i difference)
new stand up targets.
ect.... and i'm not done yet.

Playboy new door restoration3.JPGPlayboy new door restoration3.JPG
Playboy new door restoration.JPGPlayboy new door restoration.JPG
Playboy new door restoration2.JPGPlayboy new door restoration2.JPG
Playboy new door restoration1.JPGPlayboy new door restoration1.JPG

PB coin door free game switch.JPGPB coin door free game switch.JPG
#70 9 years ago

a few more.

PB Stand Up Targets-556.JPGPB Stand Up Targets-556.JPG PB Clear Plastic Post with Pink Leds.JPGPB Clear Plastic Post with Pink Leds.JPG PB Pink pinball, leds in Shooter Lane.JPGPB Pink pinball, leds in Shooter Lane.JPG
#72 9 years ago

also made new score cards.

Playboy Bally Custom Score Cards.jpgPlayboy Bally Custom Score Cards.jpg
#73 9 years ago
Quoted from itshowtime:

my buddy beatmaster is the best …he did my playboy and space invaders..new overlays on both….for the last 6 Months we have been modding out our Star Trek pros together…just wish we didn't live 6 hours apart

thanks ron.

wait t'il you see what i came up with on ST pro (yep another thing).

#75 9 years ago
Quoted from itshowtime:

well i guess its calling time again

gotta keep some surprises

#77 9 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Stunning machine! Who made the cab? Marco has the coin door lamp sockets. E120-162. Search lamp socket and go to page 5. This socket doesn't ground to the mounting tab which is what you need.

thanks, i made the cab with a old friend.
yes i do have the sockets (long time ago), just didn't get to it yet.

#79 9 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Nice, I would love to buy one of those cabs. Doug Huse not very easy to get a hold of these days.
Are your coin door inner parts powder coated?

i did a lot of buffing, the rest of the parts are painted or new but sanded everything smooth before painting, i used silver/chrome.

attention to details make a big difference, down to the last screw.

1 month later
#81 9 years ago
Quoted from REMPins:

Who sells that overlay?

it was from classic arcade a long time ago, now he's only on ebay.

#82 9 years ago

added a small purple (looks white in the picture but it is purple in person) led strip under the apron.

it's a 6.3 volts led strip comet pinball, plugged into the g.i.

also added a pink pinball in the machine, looks cool but doesn't act or feel like a regular pinball.

playboy leds strip under apron.JPGplayboy leds strip under apron.JPG

playboy pink pinball.JPGplayboy pink pinball.JPG

#85 9 years ago
Quoted from JBK:

BEAUTIFUL! I have a Playboy that is set to get the same treatment and this sets the bar. The only thing I can add: Get the NiCad off the MPU!!!!

yep, it was changed almost 2 years ago with a capacitor.

batterie replacement.JPGbatterie replacement.JPG
#87 9 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

The game is truly spectacular! You seem to be a perfectionist (at least about this machine). I hope you corrected and reprinted the custom score card ( to remove the extra "for" in "1 replay for for matching last two score numbers with match numbers").

wow thanks, good eye, i didn't saw it..... it fixed.

#89 9 years ago
Quoted from REMPins:

I saw a guy in Australia that sells them for $350, sounds a bit high.

$350 for the machine?

if so, i'd buy 4 more.

#91 9 years ago
Quoted from lb45:

@Beatmaster:
Where did you get the pink ball ?

i was lucky enough to get one from a pinsider.

this is where they come from: they used to be in pack of 4 only but i think he was selling them individually for a limited time not too long ago

http://shop.modmypin.com

7 months later
#92 8 years ago

just added a little something new from www.Pinball-Mods.com

clear cabinet flipper button and a clear strap with a pink led, great add on for anyone with a playboy.

early_ss_clear_flipper_button.jpgearly_ss_clear_flipper_button.jpg

early_ss_clear_flipper_button_on.jpgearly_ss_clear_flipper_button_on.jpg

early_ss_clear_flipper_button_on1.jpgearly_ss_clear_flipper_button_on1.jpg

#95 8 years ago

exactly, i think it was at home depot, berry pink. (rust-oleum)

#97 8 years ago
Quoted from itshowtime:

BOB ..your taking my ideas about the clear flipper buttons with pink LEDS

yeah you did this on your playboy, but this is like the original.

and this is not something new to me.

2 years later
#101 6 years ago

woah, back from the dead.

well,
white and black are just regular white and black.
many companies outhere.
rust-oleum, krylon etc..

the thing is, old /yellowish white and new white won't match.
i found that createx black was awesome for black touch up and if you only do touch up it's a good way to go but might cost a little more.
your pink, if your side rail (on each side of the playfield, like the shooter lane) is a perfect match with your cab, bring it with you to the hardware store.
but best match in a spray can = Barbie Pink.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
San Diego, CA
Machine - For Sale
Corbin, KY
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Coffs Harbour, NS
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

2,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Macomb, MI
$ 10.00
$ 69.00
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider beatmaster.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-playboy-restoration?tu=beatmaster and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.