2 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Old Chicago Extra Ball (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

Hi guys, I posted here a while back for help with my Bally Old Chicago and was grateful for how helpful everyone was.

I am very new to EM pinball repair and am still wrapping my brain around reading schematics. I've owned this machine for probably 6 or 7 months and yesterday I encountered an issue with it. Normally on Old Chicago if you hit all the drop targets in your turn you are awarded an extra ball and a light on the backglass appears that says "Same Player Shoots Again"

Well now when all the targets drop down, they go back up as normal and the lights on the playfield come on indicating that an additional ball has been earned but when the ball drains it does not award the extra ball (and the same player shoots again light on the backglass does not come on), it simply moves on to the next ball or ends the game if it was the last ball. It does this for both single player and multi player games.

I am at work right now so I won't get a chance to work on the pin until later today but any advice is greatly appreciated so that I maybe have an idea of where to start.

Thanks!

#2 2 years ago
Quoted from Defoust:

the lights on the playfield come on indicating that an additional ball has been earned but when the ball drains it does not award the extra ball (and the same player shoots again light on the backglass does not come on)

So the playfield Shoot Again light comes on but the backglass Shoot Again light doesn't? They're wired in parallel so it could be a bad bulb or a jones plug issue.

Assuming one of them comes on that indicates that the Extra Ball relay fires and stays active through the end of the ball. If that's the case I'd check this switch in the Ball Count circuit:
Old Chicago Extra Ball (resized).jpgOld Chicago Extra Ball (resized).jpg
It should open and keep the ball count from advancing when the ball drains and you've earned an extra ball.

/Mark

#3 2 years ago

Thanks Mark! Yeah there is a center playfield light and a right outlane light on the playfield that indicate an extra ball has been earned and they are still coming on when all the drop targets have been hit. I will take a look at that switch once I get home, thanks!

#4 2 years ago

I’m pretty sure you don’t get the extra ball until you go down the lane with the extra ball light on. That light doesn’t come on until you’ve knocked the drop targets down once, in other words, you get the opportunity to earn an extra ball when the playfield light is on, it doesn’t mean that you did get to shoot again.

Dave

#5 2 years ago

Hi Dave,

Since I have been playing the machine it has awarded an extra ball regardless of if it goes down the center or the right outlane (I am not sure if it does for the left outlane though, it just says 'special' over there).

I have tried taking off the glass knocking down the targets and sending it through the right "extra ball" outlane and still it is not awarding an additional ball.

#6 2 years ago

If you are getting same player shoots again lit directly after the drop target bank reset, that means that the lower right rollover switch is closed or shorted pulling in the extra ball relay before the rollover is touched yet.
In your last post it sounds like the rollover switch is now not closed, but it’s now not making contact correctly when trying to close.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-old-chicago-extra-ball-problem- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.