Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_3644 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3646 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3645 (resized).jpeg
#1 4 months ago

I'm working on putting an EBD back together that has been apart for awhile. I have two SDBs that both test well in the machine when NOT connected to the MPU.

On the SDB: TP5=15.1VDC, TP2=5.2VDC

However when I connect J4 on the MPU (and only J4) I get on the MPU: TP2=15.1VDC, TP5=.5VDC, No light on the LED.
At the same time the SBD TP2 also drops to .5VDC when the MPU is connected. These numbers seem to remain unchanged when the rest of the MPU connectors are connected.

I tried a separate SDB and get basically the same results. I don't know for a fact that either SDB works correctly 100%, but the two relative test points check out fine when not connected to the MPU

The MPU separately tests well on the bench with computer supplied 5VDC and 12VDC.

Any other things I should be checking at this point to identify what's going on and causing the 5VDC to drop so much?

Thanks,
Vince

#2 4 months ago

If the 5v is dropping to zero on the driver board when the MPU is connected, then I'd think there is a short making the regulator shutdown.

If the MPU works on the bench then seems like it would be an issue with the connectors. Make sure the board can't short against the mounting rail or backbox ground shield in some way. Can check resistances from 5v to ground with the j4 connector on and off.

The isolated ground returns can throw off the meter readings depending on where you are probing at. There is an orange wire between the driver board top right connector and the rectifier board 20 pin plug that is very often a cause of low voltage. The schematic labels it "unreg return" or something like that.

#3 4 months ago

Any chance these solenoid driver boards have had the 5V regulators changed for Chinese counterfeits? They can cause your symptoms being under-spec parts masked as something else.
Post some pictures of the solenoid driver boards and the MPU board.

#4 4 months ago

Maybe these help?

I will check for shorts on the MPU.

IMG_3644 (resized).jpegIMG_3644 (resized).jpegIMG_3645 (resized).jpegIMG_3645 (resized).jpegIMG_3646 (resized).jpegIMG_3646 (resized).jpeg
#5 4 months ago

You've got a burned resistor above Q5 on the MPU.

C23 & C26 appear to be original. Check the ESR or just change them - they are over 40 years old.

Wait for others to chime in

#6 4 months ago

that last pic of a driver board has a 3 pin capacitor, can't tell if the wires are soldered to the correct legs or not, also purely my thing is i'd be swapping it out for a 2 pin capacitor.

with J4 not connected what voltage do you have at pins at 16 & 17 in the connector.

#7 4 months ago

The regulators look genuine originals.

The driver board has been repin'd. I'm always suspicious of rework i didn't do. Check the wire colors to the wiring diagram page for the top right connector on the driver board. Same with lower left on the mpu.

Burnt resistor is for the 5101 ram power. I think it's 82 ohm 2w resistor.

#8 4 months ago
Quoted from TZ:

I will check for shorts on the MPU.

What resistance do you measure between the ground and 5V test points on the MPU board? (measure this without any connectors hooked up).

Quoted from Rikoshay:

that last pic of a driver board has a 3 pin capacitor,

You can see it's marked as "NC" meaning it's not connected. Likely just an extra pin to help anchor onto a PCB.

#9 4 months ago

Thanks for the ideas. I needed to travel for the break so I will check these things when I return and report back after the first of the year.

#10 4 months ago

and there is the oversized fuse in the last picture, that the top cap would barely be making connection.

i believe the original fuse size isn't available but the top clip can be moved.

#11 4 months ago

some of the 5x20mm fuse holders with single leads on each end will fit almost perfectly. pretty good option.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
1 week later
#12 3 months ago

Finally made it back to LA after the holidays.

Quoted from Quench:

What resistance do you measure between the ground and 5V test points on the MPU board? (measure this without any connectors hooked up).

You can see it's marked as "NC" meaning it's not connected. Likely just an extra pin to help anchor onto a PCB.

1.237kΩ between TP4 (ground) and TP5 on the MPU (on the bench)

#13 3 months ago
Quoted from barakandl:

The regulators look genuine originals.
The driver board has been repin'd. I'm always suspicious of rework i didn't do. Check the wire colors to the wiring diagram page for the top right connector on the driver board. Same with lower left on the mpu.
Burnt resistor is for the 5101 ram power. I think it's 82 ohm 2w resistor.

I put the new header pins on the driver boards myself some time ago but I haven't used them until now. I didn't re-pin the connectors, previous owner did. After checking, the driver board and MPU connectors seem to be pinned correctly.

#14 3 months ago

Additional information:

1.237kΩ between TP4 (ground) and TP5 on the MPU with the board installed and no connectors.
.5Ω between TP4 (ground) and TP5 on the MPU when connectors J3 SDB and J4 MPU are connected.

#15 3 months ago
Quoted from TZ:

.5Ω between TP4 (ground) and TP5 on the MPU when connectors J3 SDB and J4 MPU are connected.

That infers that there is a ground and 5V wire crossed over at a connector.
There are two ground wires and two 5V wires from the solenoid driver board to the MPU board. Inspect the cable colors:

SDB J3-14 grey-brown wire to MPU J4-16 (+5V)
SDB J3-15 white-green wire to MPU J4-17 (+5V)
SDB J3-18 grey-green wire to MPU J4-18 (ground)
SDB J3-19 black-red wire to MPU J4-19 (ground)

#16 3 months ago

EDIT: Ooops, I didn't look at the picture close enough, I answered my own question.

#17 3 months ago
Quoted from Quench:

SDB J3-14 grey-brown wire to MPU J4-16 (ground) (+5V)
SDB J3-15 white-green wire to MPU J4-17 (ground) (+5V)
SDB J3-18 grey-green wire to MPU J4-18 (+5V) (ground)
SDB J3-19 black-red wire to MPU J4-19 (+5V) (ground)

I had +5V and ground listed on the wrong wires so corrected it in the above post - thanks for the heads up Rikoshay

#18 3 months ago

That was it. Looks like the previous owner crossed two wires on the MPU J4 connector. Ground and +5VDC were swapped. It is really tough to tell the wire colors on a lot of these wire runs after all of these years

Thank you all for your time and the help! Great community on here.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Forest City, PA
$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
$ 179.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

11,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
$ 90.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-mpu-voltage-drop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.