IMG_0447.JPG
IMG_0446.JPG
IMG_0405.JPG
IMG_0401.JPG
IMG_0404.JPG
IMG_0403.JPG
20140605_223759-888.jpg
#1 9 years ago

Bought this game off of ebay and probably paid too much for it. One of the problems is eratic audio. Boards have all been "sent in, tested, updated and or repaired prior to me buying it. I reseated all connectors, checked for cold solder joints and swapped out the sb 300 audio module. Problem arises intermittently when you hit drop targets on the left, at the end of ball when bonus is racking up. It always happens when the ball goes through the spinner that connects the upper and lower playfields. Seems like a bad ground but i cant trace it down quicklyhe guys I bought it from are pretty cool and will take it back but I have to eat the 450 bucks freight. I will eat that if necessary but i'd rather fix it and keep it if I can do it quickly. The game has other issues with drop targets, playfield lamps and flippers too so I am on the fence on this

#2 9 years ago

Can you record the sound issue? Is it analogue hum? Or is it digital errors?

Digital errors, you likely have mismatched speeds of 5101 rams. That causes sound problems. Cgeck / replace u8 and u13 with a matching pair or RAMs. Get 150ns ones PCD5101.

#3 9 years ago

Yes I think Barakandl is spot on. Check those 5101's. Everything else sounds like an easy fix.

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Can you record the sound issue? Is it analogue hum? Or is it digital errors?

Digital errors, you likely have mismatched speeds of 5101 rams. That causes sound problems. Cgeck / replace u8 and u13 with a matching pair or RAMs. Get 150ns ones PCD5101.

Here is my ridiculous attempt at describing the audio problem. Game sounds normal then when I fire one through the spinner the background audio cuts out and it just goes "bip bip bip bip bip bip bip..." til it stops spinning. Then the audio will come back. That is consistent. The end of ball symptom is intermittent but has the same effect. "bip bip bip" etc. Same thing on the drop targets (some of which can take 3 or 4 direct shots from mike tyson before they drop, which is another problem)

I can record it on my phone but then what do I do? Also I am a total greenhorn so pardon my ignorance on the location of the 5101's (and everything else), and thanks for taking time to try and help me. If they are on the sb 300 audio module I have 2 of those (sb 300) with the same symptoms that have both been sent to the guy in Michigan who rebuilds these things.

#5 9 years ago

The 5101s are the bottom two chips on the MPU.

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

The 5101s are the bottom two chips on the MPU

Interesting. Coincidentally there is a fair amount of corrosion evidence on the bottom of the mpu board. There's also a tag that said it checked ok in 2/14 but I'm guessing these may have checked ok then on a test jig but not in game play situation. I'll order a couple of these and shotgun them in with some socket strips?

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/5101

Again thanks for the input on this guys I REALLY appreciate it!!!!!

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

Here is my ridiculous attempt at describing the audio problem. Game sounds normal then when I fire one through the spinner the background audio cuts out and it just goes "bip bip bip bip bip bip bip..." til it stops spinning. Then the audio will come back. That is consistent. The end of ball symptom is intermittent but has the same effect. "bip bip bip" etc. Same thing on the drop targets (some of which can take 3 or 4 direct shots from mike tyson before they drop, which is another problem)
I can record it on my phone but then what do I do? Also I am a total greenhorn so pardon my ignorance on the location of the 5101's (and everything else), and thanks for taking time to try and help me. If they are on the sb 300 audio module I have 2 of those (sb 300) with the same symptoms that have both been sent to the guy in Michigan who rebuilds these things.

Your description matches what happens with a mismatched speed RAMs. U8 and U13. Look at those two chips and check the markings on top and let me know what they say. You likely need to get PCD5101P quantity 2. Great plains electronics i think sells these as well as arcade chips.

Another check is to go through all the audits and see if any is stuck on an erroneous number. Typically with mismatched RAMs you get one or more audits that will not store correctly and get stuck on some random garbage number.

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Your description matches what happens with a mismatched speed RAMs. U8 and U13. Look at those two chips and check the markings on top and let me know what they say. You likely need to get PCD5101P quantity 2. Great plains electronics i think sells these as well as arcade chips.

Another check is to go through all the audits and see if any is stuck on an erroneous number. Typically with mismatched RAMs you get one or more audits that will not store correctly and get stuck on some random garbage number.

Thanks for the advice Barakandi. Here's a pic of the two chips. I did record an mp4 of the symptom with my phone but it wont upload here. converted to wav and same thing
// Error: Image 242744 not found //

[attachment=1697128,]
#9 9 years ago

20140605_223759-888.jpg20140605_223759-888.jpg[attachment=1697136,undefined]

#10 9 years ago

That is a mismatched pair and def cause problems.

At least get a u8 that matches your u13. I would buy two and replace both.

#11 9 years ago

I will do that. This sounds encouraging. Again thank you for your knowledge. I hope to be able to return the favor some day.

#12 9 years ago

i replaced the 2 5101's and had some issues with the game powering up but nothing else happens, resoldered the connections on the largest plug and got it to boot up with the initialization beeps. Seems like one beep then a pause followed by 5 or 6 more beeps. the game lost all the credits and I am not sure how to get them back. the test button does seem to work but I dont really know what I'm doing because the manual is a bit vague. I couldn't find the sequence to set it up for service credits or free play. I did not touch any dip switches. Prior to replacing the chips the game would knock out a credit during the initial stages of your first ball. Sounds like a hack job somewhere but I'd like to get it back to that at a minimum. Any advice? I will poke around on ipdb manual and see if there's some better direction there. also this mpu board has quite a few areas that are cobbed together regarding some of the traces. you can get a slight idea from the picture above. I really need this thing working for the weekend as it has become our favorite of the 5 games I have!

#13 9 years ago

Removing the RAM removes the credits, high scores and clears audits. You add credits by pressing the coin chute switches at the bottom of the coin door. You can probably add credits by going into the audits section of the test menu and adding them with the credit button. There is no free play on this era of Stern machines. I set low replay values to add credits at 50,000 points or something. Sounds like you have other issues going on with connectors and the MPU and not just sound issues. You need to get all that other stuff straightened out first.

#14 9 years ago

When you swap the rams, all stored data gets scrambled.

Open the coin door you will see two buttons. One button cycles the test mode which you have found, the other button will clear the audit.

Go through and clear all your audits to zero, or use the manual to set them to what you want. When the game was making "knocks" you hit a replay score and it awards a free game. Since the audits got scrambled the replay score changed. Set one replay score to 10,000 pts so you can rack up free games quickly.

Manually push a coin switch to add some credits.

#15 9 years ago

you guys are the best! I will try those and let you know. also is replacing the mpu with an alltek a plug and play endeavor?

#16 9 years ago

Yes as long as your connectors are up to snuff. You probably need to repin the connectors due to age and corrosion. J3 and J4 are a must.

#17 9 years ago

more good advice. Looks like the small and medium connectors here is what I need. I wonder if this is causing some of my issues? I didn't think so since the problems are not intermittent but...

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/CKBLY-MPU

RB

#18 9 years ago

Connector problems are pretty common. Not a bad idea to rework them and that marco kit appears to have everything you need. Might be a bit overpriced compared to buying individual pieces.

#19 9 years ago

i'll pay the extra to make sure I have the right stuff for the job. thats what marco is all about and they have been fantastic so far.

#20 9 years ago

Special thanks to barakandi, schudel5, dothedoo and xenon75. replacing the 2 5101's solved my audio problem and you were also right about resetting the audits etc was the fix for my perceived credit issue. not only did the chips fix my problem but I just learned what this game is really supposed to sound like. I was missing 5 or six sounds!!! I owe you guys...

#21 9 years ago

woo hoo. have fun. meteor kicks ass.

#22 9 years ago

My Meteor had the same problem but it was stranger, was working fine then started making the weird noises. Swapped in new 5101s and fixed it. Mine were matched and working then the problem started.
Maybe the matched 5101s decided to break up?

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from homebrood:

My Meteor had the same problem but it was stranger, was working fine then started making the weird noises. Swapped in new 5101s and fixed it. Mine were matched and working then the problem started.Maybe the matched 5101s decided to break up?

I am pretty sure it has to do with the read / write speed of the RAM. Perhaps as the RAM ages the time it takes to write/read increasted. If the two are not matched up speed wise, you get errors that show up in the sound effects. Why sound is the symptom, can't really say, but super common. Usually when sound effects are off, there is one or more audits that also refuse to save properly.

Typically you can still use both of these RAMs in other situations that need just a single 5101.

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

woo hoo. have fun. meteor kicks ass.

YOU kick ass barandi!!! and so does meteor... i have blackout, space invaders, f-14 and black rose and meteor is my favorite (right now)

3 months later
#25 9 years ago

mine just makes the rocket explosion sound, no other sounds at all. my chips are mismatched, would this solve my problem?

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from Lysurgeon:

mine just makes the rocket explosion sound, no other sounds at all. my chips are mismatched, would this solve my problem?

It is in the realm of possibilities. In my xp, mismatched RAMs just makes some sounds odd, not missing.

Your issue sounds more like problems on the SB-300 sound board itself. Getting a matched pair of RAMs is a good non invasive first step.

#27 9 years ago

do you see any issues here? or what should i look for?IMG_0405.JPGIMG_0405.JPGIMG_0403.JPGIMG_0403.JPGIMG_0404.JPGIMG_0404.JPGIMG_0401.JPGIMG_0401.JPG

2 months later
#28 9 years ago

just ordered the chips. hope this helps out....

#29 9 years ago

Hi Lysurgeon, if you are concerned your RAMs are not compatible. Take a picture of them or read me off the imprint. I am very familiar with this IC and matched pair compatibility.

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Hi Lysurgeon, if you are concerned your RAMs are not compatible. Take a picture of them or read me off the imprint. I am very familiar with this IC and matched pair compatibility.

i can do this when i get home. thank you for all the help!

#31 9 years ago

IMG_0446.JPGIMG_0446.JPGIMG_0448.JPGIMG_0448.JPGIMG_0447.JPGIMG_0447.JPGIMG_0450.JPGIMG_0450.JPG

#32 9 years ago

Those 5101 rams are not compatible with each other. The top one is 450ns and the bottom one is 150ns. this causes problems.

#33 9 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Those 5101 rams are not compatible with each other. The top one is 450ns and the bottom one is 150ns. this causes problems.

i figured that might be the case. cant wait to switch them out.

2 months later
#34 9 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

Here is my ridiculous attempt at describing the audio problem. Game sounds normal then when I fire one through the spinner the background audio cuts out and it just goes "bip bip bip bip bip bip bip..." til it stops spinning. Then the audio will come back. That is consistent. The end of ball symptom is intermittent but has the same effect. "bip bip bip" etc. Same thing on the drop targets

OK, I have the same issue with my sound. So far, I have replaced all the caps on the sound board and have brand new ribbon cables going to the MPU.
I thought it might be the 5101 IC's mentioned, but I put in my new Alltek MPU and the sound issue remains. I'm not sure what else to check next. Please Help!!

#35 9 years ago

The SB-300 is typically not an easy board to fix. The 6840 timer creates squre waves Q1, Q2, Q3. To fix this board you need to be able to trace signals through the circuits while the game is in cycling solenoid test. Understanding a logic probe, schematics, and basic TTL chips is needed at the minimum.

Only real non invasive thing i can recommend is checking the noise generator test point. It is like a clock circuit and is always running. TP5 should always be 2-3 volts dc. If it is 0v or 5v, u10 or u13 is bad.

#36 9 years ago

Test point 5 = 2.69 volts

#37 9 years ago

Any other things I can check?
If it is in fact the sound board is the issue, I will just send it out to be tested/repaired.

#38 9 years ago

Any other suggestions?

#39 9 years ago

If you can't follow along with this, i would send the board out.

http://www.pinball4you.ch/okaegi/rep_soundsb300.html

i have repaired probably 20+ of these sb-300 sound boards. I can do it for a flat $45 shipped back.

Andrew

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

I can do it for a flat $45 shipped back

Great quote. That would be the only suggestion I would need.

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

If you can't follow along with this, i would send the board out.
http://www.pinball4you.ch/okaegi/rep_soundsb300.html
i have repaired probably 20+ of these sb-300 sound boards. I can do it for a flat $45 shipped back.
Andrew

Thanks! I will try those tests this weekend to see if I can locate the issue. I will pm you when I give up.

1 month later
#42 9 years ago

I ended up sending the sound and MPU board out to Jerry Clause. I got it back in a week and everything works now!

2 months later
#43 8 years ago

I may have to send my sound board out to get repaired. Tried an altek mpu and sound issue remains. Send me a pm with all the info Andrew. Tiered of not having sound...

6 years later
#44 2 years ago

I have a Meteor with the Ultimate MPU from Alltek Systems and was experiencing the same audio issues and random resets too. I have cleared the memory of the MPU and then the audio start working and no more resets.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 169.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 10.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 3.00
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/audio-problem-with-stern-meteor and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.