(Topic ID: 283887)

Are you for Apple? Or are you for Facebook?

By cottonm4

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by manadams
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

main-qimg-2d91e98f00c288591737b25fdde97ff6 (resized).jpg
    zuckerberg (resized).jpg
    #1 3 years ago

Me? The more private Apple makes my iPhone the happier I will be. Instead of having to opt out I would prefer to opt in; Then I will know no one is pulling sneaky's on me.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/16/tech/facebook-apple-ios-privacy-rules/index.html

"Facebook (FB) is now waging a public relations effort to attack Apple (AAPL) ahead of new iOS data privacy changes that would make it harder for advertisers to track users, ..."

#2 3 years ago

'Against' them both, dont care for any of their products
    All in for less tracking, but don't trust either of them, or any billion company to do it

#3 3 years ago

Against all of it, wish we got stuck in 2005 technology.

that being said, a large % of the economy is driven by targeted ads on facebook and instagram, this would hurt them badly.

I think a distinction needs to be made between "tracking" and personable identifiable information.

#4 3 years ago

In theory I like Apple's stance here, but that company is about as evil and deceptive as any of them, so can they both lose?

#5 3 years ago

IBTL, way too political of a question. Facebook just spreads misinformation. And people love that.

#6 3 years ago
    zuckerberg (resized).jpgzuckerberg (resized).jpg
    #7 3 years ago

I’m all for being treated with respect and I’m not sure that’s the case with either company, but I think Apple is definitely more respectful than Facebook.

#9 3 years ago

They both have serious fundamental problems that are not in the best interests of their customers/users.

#10 3 years ago

Like any political election it's a choice of lesser evils. Facebook makes money selling their user's activity and info. Apple behaves like the mafia extracting a 30% cut of revenue from their App Store for essentially hosting download files and processing payments, normally a 3% margin business. There is more to it than that, of course, but they are both unapologetic about what they do.

#11 3 years ago

I find Facebook very invasive. Haven’t signed back on since I created an account. Yuck! No Twitter or Instagram either.

#12 3 years ago

Thing I didn't like about Apple. I got a free year of Apple TV. Except you need a charge card to sign up for it.

No thanks.

LTG : )

#13 3 years ago

They are both cancer, and I will not own or patronize either entity.

#14 3 years ago

Hopefully Mark Z will be indicted soon....

#15 3 years ago

You aren't the customer, you are the product.

#16 3 years ago

Between Apple and Facebook, I'm rooting for the Black Sunday blimp.

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Thing I didn't like about Apple. I got a free year of Apple TV. Except you need a charge card to sign up for it.
    No thanks.
    LTG : )

I got that notification on the main....SETTINGS page of my iPhone. Work phone so I can easily decline.

A lot of businesses would probably get more subscriptions if free trials didn't require a credit card. Once they have your CC it's some cluster of "oh you didn't cancel in time" or "we didn't get your cancellation message at all" or "But we thought you wanted a full year". Or something else.

Leo Getz would have a good response for this.

#18 3 years ago

Facebook sucks!

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

You can turn off auto-renewal immediately after activating the trial. There are a couple good shows but I definitely wouldn’t pay for it.

#20 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

[quoted image]

I also put tape over the camera and microphone on my own laptop but feel free to share your most personal data with my company.

main-qimg-2d91e98f00c288591737b25fdde97ff6 (resized).jpgmain-qimg-2d91e98f00c288591737b25fdde97ff6 (resized).jpg

#21 3 years ago

Z is pure evil, he even looks evil. You know they are gobbling up as much of your information they can get their hands on.

#22 3 years ago

Neither is the only sane option. No corporation that size has anything but antipathy for you.

#23 3 years ago

facebook, apple, and google are no one's friends and should all probably be broken up. The antitrust lawsuits are a very welcome contribution coming from the US admins right now.

I trust them as far as I can throw them.

#24 3 years ago

So Apple says "We’ll let users decide if they want their browsing habits tracked across sites and shared with other companies (unrelated to where they were browsing in the first place)"...

and Facebook says "Are you f*$^ing kidding me? This will kill our ad revenue stream because we can't sell users private information anymore unless they agree to it."

Seems pretty obvious to me in this particular battle which one I would be for. Honestly, with the strict data practices that the EU and some other countries have already enacted, I'm surprised this isn't already a government mandated option at this point (though I'm generally against the government stepping in as babysitter for this type of situation).

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinsanity:

I also put tape over the camera and microphone on my own laptop but feel free to share your most personal data with my company.
    [quoted image]

Every time I see that picture it makes me laugh. That billionaire ego manic and people actually believe that is his shitty office with no privacy out in the open. Its probably an interns desk he posed at for the picture.

#26 3 years ago

I'm for the Innernette!!!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-you-for-apple-or-are-you-for-facebook and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.