4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by drsfmd
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

By that, I mean is the wooden part of the backbox identical across the entire series?

I recently acquired a Doctor Who and have spent quite a bit of time working out all of the kinks and getting it to play right. I'm very happy with the game, there's only one problem... the backbox. There's quite a sag to the bottom board of the backbox, and the plywood has delaminated and is pulling apart the upper corners. My brother in law, who has done custom cabinetry for a living looked at it, and suggests it would be easier to replace it than to try to repair it. If necessary, he can build it for me from scratch, but I'd rather not go that route unless I absolutely need to.

So as my question in the title asks-- are all the WPC backboxes the same? If I need to be looking for one specific to Doctor Who, I'll have him build one. If they are interchangeable, I'm hoping that I can find one locally.

#2 4 years ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

By that, I mean is the wooden part of the backbox identical across the entire series?
    I recently acquired a Doctor Who and have spent quite a bit of time working out all of the kinks and getting it to play right. I'm very happy with the game, there's only one problem... the backbox. There's quite a sag to the bottom board of the backbox, and the plywood has delaminated and is pulling apart the upper corners. My brother in law, who has done custom cabinetry for a living looked at it, and suggests it would be easier to replace it than to try to repair it. If necessary, he can build it for me from scratch, but I'd rather not go that route unless I absolutely need to.
    So as my question in the title asks-- are all the WPC backboxes the same? If I need to be looking for one specific to Doctor Who, I'll have him build one. If they are interchangeable, I'm hoping that I can find one locally.

There are subtle differences through the 90's.
    So No, they are all not the same. Anything from hinge locations to height. Also depth beneath speaker panel.

#3 4 years ago

There are quite a few variations, however most can be tweaked enough in a pinch. You may have to relocate some holes, which wont be a problem if you are re decaling the head.
    WH20 and JD are vastly different than the others due to the toppers, FT however is not so different...

#4 4 years ago

Thanks gents! I'm not worried about relocating a few holes-- I really meant the external dimensions.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-all-wpc-backboxes-the-same- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.