(Topic ID: 343436)

Arcade 1up - economical or embarrassing?

By undrdog

7 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 122 posts
  • 61 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by ralphs007
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4217 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8701 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4218 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4221 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5939 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5938 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5922 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5507 (resized).png
IMG_4787 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4788 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4789 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4786 (resized).jpeg
thank-you-sir-1.gif
83339EBC-903E-42D3-A857-D29389D9938A (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20230928-200144-856 (resized).png
Screenshot_20230928-200331-673 (resized).png
There are 122 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 6 months ago
Quoted from undrdog:

All I want is Ms Pac-Man and Galaxian. One version has both. Waiting for a good price.

I'm not a Costco member but my daughter is. I told her to let me know if the PAC-MAN XL Arcade Machine 14 Games in 1 goes on sale. Does Costco even lower their prices on something like an Arcade 1up?

#102 6 months ago
Quoted from ralphs007:

I'm not a Costco member but my daughter is. I told her to let me know if the PAC-MAN XL Arcade Machine 14 Games in 1 goes on sale. Does Costco even lower their prices on something like an Arcade 1up?

They do... maybe? if the product doesn't sell and they need the real estate for something else.
That said; the typical rule is if you see something you like buy it then, on the spot because there is zero guarantee that the product will be there next week when to go in.

My store still had them on Thurs/Friday when I went in for something else. But I can't imagine they will stay long. That stupid Star Wars Virtual pin was still there and I'm betting it will have to be cleared to make space for something better.

#103 6 months ago

I looked at that, too. But it’s hard to pay full price when so many used ones are available for half the price.

#104 6 months ago

My opinion: They're smaller than they look in the pictures. They are cheaply made and kinda cheesey. I have one. Even the buttons and other controls just feel really cheap.

I have the Dragons Lair machine. Which, honestly, isn't that bad considering the availability of authentic Dragons Lair machines and the trouble of having to get laser disk images if you want to setup a MAME machine, and it has the LED scoreboard on it and it has 1 and 2 and Space Ace on it. It's plug and play, and it's not bad.

If you are looking for a machine that you're not going to play very much that has unique controls or maybe even a light-gun which they seem to be doing now, then maybe it's worth it.

But if you're looking for regular stick and button arcade games you're probably better off just spending money on one of those "real" arcade cabinets that have 10 bazilion games all-in-one.

And if you're a collector of arcade machines, yeah, obviously the Arcade-1up machines don't count.

#105 6 months ago

I have one, it's in the living room though, hasnt made it down to the game room. It hasnt been played in 2 years.

#106 6 months ago
Quoted from undrdog:

All I want is Ms Pac-Man and Galaxian. One version has both. Waiting for a good price.

This is what I’m waiting for…. I hope they release this as it hits the marks for my wife. I have a real Ms Pac-Man, but I refuse to put a 60-in-1. The maintenance is a little annoying.

I prefer to let my kids beat this unit up. We shall see if Arcade1up releases this unit.

IMG_5507 (resized).pngIMG_5507 (resized).png
#107 6 months ago

Duplicate. Accident.

#108 6 months ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

Doesn't it suck sorting through thousands of games when a fraction work good?

You are best to just put the roms into mame that you actually want that way is is manageable.

2 weeks later
#109 5 months ago

For space reasoning and my passion getting into Pinball machines instead, the wife requested I get a Ms Pac-Man system.

As you see from my photo I already have an original Ms Pac-Man arcade, but it’s too big to fit our space.

This was not cheap as I decided to suck it up and just buy the new one.. the artwork is better than the 40th version.

My kids like this version as their daycare facility already have one and play it often.

To each to their own.. but I’m happy this unit is much smaller to move. Ms Pac-Man arcade machine is actually smaller than other arcade cabinets.

IMG_5922 (resized).jpegIMG_5922 (resized).jpeg
#110 5 months ago

How did you handle the Arcade Joy to the 1up Joy? those controls felt pretty cheap at Costco.

#111 5 months ago
Quoted from Zitt:

How did you handle the Arcade Joy to the 1up Joy? those controls felt pretty cheap at Costco.

Have not played it yet… I just put it all together right now… after 2 hours of being cautious and slow to make sure I did it right the first time.

Did not help I did this all in my garage. D’oh!!

#112 5 months ago

Comparison of original ArcDe vs this Deluxe version. Sorry, was not in the mood pulling out the machine to take better photos but you can tell couple things:

- Profile is slimmer in width, depth, height. As expected.

- what I did not expect is the screen height is higher than the original arcade cabinet. Great for me.

- Screen is in same orientation as the original.

Tonight.. I’ll play some games to see how it performs. Not expecting great emulation, but at least playable.

IMG_5938 (resized).jpegIMG_5938 (resized).jpegIMG_5939 (resized).jpegIMG_5939 (resized).jpeg
3 weeks later
#113 5 months ago

So a word of warning, for anyone who finds ads pushed to things they own offensive on the face of it. Arcade1Up revealed this past week that they have this capability on internet-connected cabinets by pushing out a Black Friday Sale ad. I'd consider that another mark for the con columns of my previous post, since now you're either poring over capabilities to specifically buy cabinets without online features, or are deliberately ignoring anything online by refusing to connect the cabinet to your network.

https://imgur.com/FBHBAJ2

#114 5 months ago

Played the latest at Costco and one at a garage sale. Response time is too sluggish. I’ve moved on.

#115 5 months ago
Quoted from undrdog:

Played the latest at Costco and one at a garage sale. Response time is too sluggish. I’ve moved on.

Yeah, I tried a Costco demo of Star Wars Pinball... I was very unimpressed, even the first year (admittedly incomplete) vpin I built (almost five years ago) blew it out of the water, to say nothing of where it is today. It was laggy and low resolution and just not a good experience. It is among their worst offerings.

#116 4 months ago

I’ve got a couple of raspberry pi modded Arcade1up’s that I’m looking to trade out (or sell outright).

Modded Ms. Pac-man with entire original NES catalog and 50+ vertical classics that I’d like to trade for an unmodded Class of ‘81.

Modded 4player TMNT with 1000+ games and real coin door that I’m looking to swap for an unmodded Outrun.

Hit me up!

2 weeks later
#117 4 months ago

My daughter called me from Costco yesterday and she said that the Pac-Man XL was on sale for 400.00.So I had her pick one up for me. I’ve never really played any arcade games,but this would good for my guests that don’t like Pinball. I don’t even know how to play Pac-Man.

I was surprised how much my family liked playing my “Erie Crane Digger” the last time they were over. So hopefully they’ll enjoy this too.I played a bunch of different games today,and I’m glad I picked one up.

I added a BOP and a JP2 since they were last over. If Jurassic Park doesn’t get their attention nothing will.

IMG_4218 (resized).jpegIMG_4218 (resized).jpegIMG_4221 (resized).jpegIMG_4221 (resized).jpeg

#118 4 months ago
Quoted from undrdog:

Costco has the full size Arcade 1up.
Early birthday present to my self or avoid like the plague ?

I have 6 of them, and even though they are smaller and not the same quality as the real deal they are good for someone looking to create a home arcade. I do think they are a little overpriced at the retail price. I didn't pay full price for any of mine. Got class of 81, tempest, and street fighter yoga flame for $150 off the retail price. Got KI and T2 on sale last black friday for $299 and picked up simpsons with the stool and metal sign at best buy for $275. One thing I did do with all of mine was upgrade the sound system. Found a place on ebay that sells the Logitech speakers and subwoofer for $35 and there's a night and day difference in the crappy little stock speakers arcade1up uses.

#119 4 months ago

ralphs007 I'm glad to hear the Costco 1Up is on sale. The controls on Pac-Man seemed sluggish to me in the store. Does it feel right to you?

I’ve got the Erie Digger, too! Only mine is in a green cabinet. Very cool toy for the gameroom.

IMG_8701 (resized).jpegIMG_8701 (resized).jpeg
#120 4 months ago
Quoted from undrdog:

ralphs007 I'm glad to hear the Costco 1Up is on sale. The controls on Pac-Man seemed sluggish to me in the store. Does it feel right to you?
I’ve got the Erie Digger, too! Only mine is in a green cabinet. Very cool toy for the gameroom.
[quoted image]

They seem fine to someone who's never played a real arcade game. I do play videogames,and so far they seem okay to me. But I'm sure someone who's into arcade games probably wouldn't be happy with one,but I'm not that guy.
When I was deciding on my Erie Diggers color,I was having a hard time, because I liked them both. So I asked my wife which one she liked best,and she said red,so that's how I ended up getting the red digger. I do like screwing with my guest when they come over by putting tens and twenty dollar bills in impossible locations for them .

#121 4 months ago

Amazon has several on sale for $299 delivered right now. Check it out (SF2, Pac Man, Others)

#122 4 months ago
Quoted from undrdog:

[quoted image]

I've been playing Galaga the most on my arcade and so far, everything seems fine to me.I haven't noticed any issues with lag and the videos look really good on the 19" monitor. It's a lot of fun,and I'm glad I bought this arcade.
I've watched a bunch of YouTube videos showing game play on all of the games included with my Pac Man Xl,and there's a bunch of them,I look forward to playing. I'll have to give Pac Man a try sometime soon. I've recently tried Pac Man for the first time at Best Buy,and it was only for a minute or two.

There are 122 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/arcade-1up-economical-or-embarrassing/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.