(Topic ID: 17866)

Anyone else thinking about throwing down on a WOZ today?

By GoBlue

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 103 posts
  • 62 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by DCFAN
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

photo.jpg
scarecrowgun2.jpg
There are 103 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 11 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I like the team that built this game, and I think the color-changing LEDs are pretty cool. But I hate the huge LCD in the backbox; even EBD LE had more artwork on the backglass than this. I guess I'm in the minority, but I think games should look like works of art. I'd love to ask Greg Freres which game he's more proud of: Fathom or WOZ.
My fear is that Stern adopts this same design. Shrink the LCD down to the size of a DMD, and I'm in.
Post edited by swampfire : Less grumpy now...

I agree about the huge LCD in the back box. It may look pretty cool when the game is on, but when its off its going to have nothing to look at. I do think its time though for the dot matrix to go and be replaced with a small LCD screen like you said.

#52 11 years ago
Quoted from ronlisa:

It may look pretty cool when the game is on, but when its off its going to have nothing to look at.

Maybe Cointaker will offer an aftermarket shade we can pull down with a variety of Oz scene choices?

#53 11 years ago

This pin's gonna have to work really hard to win me over with that theme. It looks great, but I just can't do it.

JJP might be trying to reach a broader market, but I think he's also alienating a good portion of his core pinhead market with this theme.

#54 11 years ago
Quoted from ronlisa:

swampfire said:I like the team that built this game, and I think the color-changing LEDs are pretty cool. But I hate the huge LCD in the backbox; even EBD LE had more artwork on the backglass than this. I guess I'm in the minority, but I think games should look like works of art. I'd love to ask Greg Freres which game he's more proud of: Fathom or WOZ.
My fear is that Stern adopts this same design. Shrink the LCD down to the size of a DMD, and I'm in.
I agree about the huge LCD in the back box. It may look pretty cool when the game is on, but when its off its going to have nothing to look at. I do think its time though for the dot matrix to go and be replaced with a small LCD screen like you said.

You know when I look at my DMD games the DMD is blank when it's off. I mean there is absolutely nothing to see on it.

#55 11 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

ronlisa said:
You know when I look at my DMD games the DMD is blank when it's off. I mean there is absolutely nothing to see on it.

...and that's fine, because there's plenty of room for artwork above the DMD. Actually I think CV had the best approach: full backglass with the DMD near the playfield, where the player could see it without looking up.

#56 11 years ago

I threw down in Feb. 2011, and after the last update and today's light show, I know I made the right choice. WOZ is going to be a gamechanger.

#57 11 years ago

If Stern takes another 5 minutes of my time on the pictures are coming front, I may shift Stern Bucks to JJack....

#58 11 years ago
Quoted from ronlisa:

I agree about the huge LCD in the back box. It may look pretty cool when the game is on, but when its off its going to have nothing to look at.

Why would you be looking at the machine when its off? Typically when the machines are off its because it's time to go home and they want you to leave

#59 11 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Remember the Dec 2011 delivery ETA?

You are correct. That article said Dec 2011 and preorders were open until March 2011. Jack extended both of those deadlines. He extended preorders thru June 11 and said he would start production March 12. He has a production line running, just nothing shipped yet. I think the ECLE's will all be delivered before Christmas 2012. He is a little behind his first dates but not enough to worry, especially since we can see what has been done. Jack is not actually showing his entire hand, he has even said that.

#60 11 years ago
Quoted from ronlisa:

swampfire said:I like the team that built this game, and I think the color-changing LEDs are pretty cool. But I hate the huge LCD in the backbox; even EBD LE had more artwork on the backglass than this. I guess I'm in the minority, but I think games should look like works of art. I'd love to ask Greg Freres which game he's more proud of: Fathom or WOZ.

Really, the knock is now in how the game looks when it is off? How does it sound when it is off? How does it play when it is off? Really?

Gameplay transcends theme IMO.

We shall see.

#61 11 years ago

I wish the game would release so we can stop speculating. Exciting times

#62 11 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Hwawonyu said:

I am 47 with 3 kids and it's still not for us. The daughters love SM and AC/DC.

I'm 49 and my 3 girls started out liking SM, always hated Lotr and now they won't touch it...its "too slow and boring for them" can you believe that!

Nice pins btw Legacy.....

I really tried to get my kids enthused about SM, but they have no interest. I have also brought them to the local arcade to try TF and AC/DC. They wouldn't play either, but enjoyed laughing at the "ugly man who looks like a girl" on the playfield of AC/DC.

I am hopeful they will enjoy WOZ since they both love the movie, but who knows.

#63 11 years ago

I really tried to get my kids enthused about SM,
Ages 7 and 4 and they love both.

photo.jpgphoto.jpg

#64 11 years ago
Quoted from absocountry2:

You are correct. That article said Dec 2011 and preorders were open until March 2011. Jack extended both of those deadlines. He extended preorders thru June 11 and said he would start production March 12

I don't mind they have taken longer. Right theme and I would have waited. I am waiting a long time for BHZA. I think for the folks that are OK with the theme the wait was well worth it. That machine is amazing. Its a theme issue for me. And the theme is really taken to the extreme in every way so I can't get past it.

#65 11 years ago

I think that anyone who has bought a NIB and found it to be rushed or with incomplete code can appreciate that sometimes a bit of extra wait can be worth it.

#66 11 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

I have to disagree a bit here. Gameplay is most important, yes, but it can never completely transcend the theme in my opinion. They are too interrelated.

#67 11 years ago
Quoted from stevebighead:

That theme is just plain aweful. Where are the chicks, guns, cars, super heros's...ANYTHING else!

I find it refreshing that it doesn't include any of those things. We've seen enough of those elements in pinball. I wasn't crazy about the theme, but now that I've seen how well it's integrated into the game, I think it's brilliant.

#68 11 years ago

No

#69 11 years ago

After seeing what they are offering, it is even more remote that I would commit to purchase based on the theme and audio. This pin requires some real life play time to be considered as a new addition to my collection. It is hard for be to believe that so many have bought prior to release It's almost like JJP is the Pied-Piper of pinball leading so many blindly to commit.

#70 11 years ago

I can understand buying a pin without having played it based upon reviews of others'. But to fork over thousands on a product that hasn't been played by anyone just seems like a huge gamble to me.

I'm sure it will be kick ass etc., but i'd wait.

#71 11 years ago

I think the machine looks nice, just not my cup of tea when it comes to theme. I won't say I'm not a fan of the music considering it is WoZ. I think the music is fairly well done, but I wouldn't want to listen to it outside of playing the game.

I actually like the LCD, at least based on the little that we've seen so far. I grew up playing video games so I don't mind it as much, but who knows once I see it in person.

I do like what Jack is doing and giving a demo at E3, it's going to let a lot of people see the game that otherwise would have no idea it even exists, or that pinball machines are still being manufactured.

#72 11 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

ut I hate the huge LCD in the backbox; even EBD LE had more artwork on the backglass than this. I guess I'm in the minority, but I think games should look like works of art. I'd love to ask Greg Freres which game he's more proud of: Fathom or WOZ.

With how fast this site moves, this is a quite a delayed reply, but...

I agree, I think the LCD is a major step forward, but it's not perfected. Right now to me it just looks like a someone cut a whole in the backglass and attached a TV. I would love to see this customized a bit more in the future, maybe an aspect ratio similar to the the classic DMD display. Although the real fun will be seeing how the LCD is incorporated into the gameplay. This should, if nothing else, be a game changer for "video mode".

#73 11 years ago

Well, I threw down.

Now need to see pics of Xmen to see if I need to throw down some more...

#74 11 years ago
Quoted from GoBlue:

Well, I threw down.

Welcome to the merry old land of Oz!

Jim ECLE #825

#75 11 years ago

I really want to put in a preorder on one of these, but being relatively new to the hobby I haven't established a big enough pinball bankroll yet.

Anyone need a brilliant hardware/software engineer for something worth about 7 grand?

#76 11 years ago

I ordered June 11 2011 - I feel like the game will never show up. JJ has lost a great deal of credibility on delivery because milestone after milestone has been missed. However, that being said the game does look amazing and I am happy to have my machine reserved.

#77 11 years ago
Quoted from Vanquish09:

Still a no for me. Hoping they will come up with a better theme for pin #2. Got my fingers crossed for Elvira!

There sure is alot of us.

#78 11 years ago
Quoted from sleethering:

stevebighead said:

That theme is just plain aweful. Where are the chicks, guns, cars, super heros's...ANYTHING else!
I find it refreshing that it doesn't include any of those things. We've seen enough of those elements in pinball. I wasn't crazy about the theme, but now that I've seen how well it's integrated into the game, I think it's brilliant.

I actually agree with both of these posts to some extent. I prefer the former (except the super hero crap), but the theme is well integrated. While the theme might have an overall appeal to the general public, that is not the demographic of pinball. It is mainly men probably 25-50. Get a theme for that demo and the next pin JJP machine would kill the sales of WOZ(IMHO).

#79 11 years ago

I agree, the theme does nothing for me and the music is the nail in the coffin. I am very much looking forward to what title #2 and #3 will be, as it looks like a very impressive product. Having said that, I'm tired of the super hero themes as well. I'm not against them, but surely the super hero fans have had more than their fair share of games to pick from in recent years. I'm ready for a spooky title that isn't 15+ years old!

#80 11 years ago
Quoted from NM:

I like backglasses & translites--and tinkering with the lighting effects behind both; also enjoy seeing the artwork of a backglass/translite when the game is not in use vs. a blank screen).

: )

Me too. Part of pinball for some is the Art aspect. And some backglasses are works of art.
I like having my machines on in the evenings so the back glass is lit.

Wish JJP would have went with a smaller DMD size LCD and a bigger back glass. But I undertand they are trying to capture the video game aspect of todays new players.

#81 11 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

Shoot_Again said:

jarjarisgod said:Threw down a year ago. Only need one.
No need to throw down today it was a year ago yesterday wasn't it....
Just checked. It was 6/25 last year. So I guess it hasn't quite been a year for me yet.

jarjar,
I put in in Feb of 2011 with the hope and faith it would all come together. As we are seeing now we are close to the end and it has been a jorney.
But I think we all knew that from the beginning it would not be a smooth short ride down to the conveinace store, but a long bumpy ride through the woods. No matter how the ride, its the destination thats the reward, and we are almost there.

Some here may call me stupid but I also have the faith and hope for BHZA. If you think that having faith in someone with a vision is a bad thing, then please dont bother the people who are willing to wait there time and go through the trenches to experiance something new.
Keep Stern in business.

#84 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

TaylorVA said:Gameplay transcends theme IMO.
I have to disagree a bit here. Gameplay is most important, yes, but it can never completely transcend the theme in my opinion. They are too interrelated.

I just don't care so much about themes. If I really did there would be few and far between games I would be interested. Circuses? BSD!? White Water rafting? I don't know, B/W themes are pretty boring but there are some really great games.

#85 11 years ago
Quoted from snikrap:

jarjarisgod said:Shoot_Again said:
jarjarisgod said:Threw down a year ago. Only need one.
No need to throw down today it was a year ago yesterday wasn't it....
Just checked. It was 6/25 last year. So I guess it hasn't quite been a year for me yet.
jarjar,
I put in in Feb of 2011 with the hope and faith it would all come together. As we are seeing now we are close to the end and it has been a jorney.
But I think we all knew that from the beginning it would not be a smooth short ride down to the conveinace store, but a long bumpy ride through the woods. No matter how the ride, its the destination thats the reward, and we are almost there.
Some here may call me stupid but I also have the faith and hope for BHZA. If you think that having faith in someone with a vision is a bad thing, then please dont bother the people who are willing to wait there time and go through the trenches to experiance something new.
Keep Stern in business.

Not sure what prompted this message, but...

1. I have had a WOZ on order for about a year now and am anxiously awaiting it's arrival.

2. I am a part of "Team Heck" which is working with John Popadiuk on the BHZA project.

3. Yes, I own 3 Sterns. They're great games. I love pinball and don't care who makes them. Just as long as they're fun!

So...

I'm not sure what you're getting at. I guess what I said was misconstrued as a slight at JJP somehow... Who knows? Just have fun playing pinball!

Jason

#86 11 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

ronlisa said:swampfire said:I like the team that built this game, and I think the color-changing LEDs are pretty cool. But I hate the huge LCD in the backbox; even EBD LE had more artwork on the backglass than this. I guess I'm in the minority, but I think games should look like works of art. I'd love to ask Greg Freres which game he's more proud of: Fathom or WOZ.
Really, the knock is now in how the game looks when it is off? How does it sound when it is off? How does it play when it is off? Really?
We shall see.

Im not knocking the game. I think Jack has built a high quality machine by looking at the amount of detail that can be seen in the pictures. All I am trying to say is that I dont care for the look of the head with a big LCD screen stuck in it. Most home owners that have a pinball in their house dont have their pinball machines on all the time. Even when the machines are off, they still are nice to look at , and from a distance, the art work on the head is one of the first thing people notice on a machine.

#87 11 years ago

I think it looks to be an amazing pin. I'd rather listen to the soundtrack on WOZ than listen to 'For those about to rock' over and over and over... The WOZ is going to be something special because there is a lot of heart in the design, maybe Stern will pick up the pace a little because other than Tron (which I really like), their last few games haven't exactly set my world on fire.

#88 11 years ago
Quoted from GoBlue:

Anyone else thinking about throwing down on a WOZ today?

No...looks crowded and slow...and I didn't get one cheap, like the first buyers.

Robert

#89 11 years ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

No...looks crowded and slow...and I didn't get one cheap, like the first buyers.

Robert

at $6500 for the first buyers i wouldn't consider that cheap. i guess if you compare it to sterns new X-Men at $7999 MSRP (on stern's website) then i guess it would be cheap, but at that price tag i am out for sure. i can pick up my TAF and TZ for almost as much as X-men and get to have twice as much fun.

#90 11 years ago

Now that I have seen X-Men I would say I am more inclined to get one. It looks like nothing new from Stern (not that I hate it) but I want to see something different and new. I think WOZ has that. But like others have said, I just can't put that kind of money down of something I have never tried.

#91 11 years ago
Quoted from ronlisa:

Im not knocking the game. I think Jack has built a high quality machine by looking at the amount of detail that can be seen in the pictures. All I am trying to say is that I dont care for the look of the head with a big LCD screen stuck in it. Most home owners that have a pinball in their house dont have their pinball machines on all the time. Even when the machines are off, they still are nice to look at , and from a distance, the art work on the head is one of the first thing people notice on a machine.

The mirrored backglass still looks pretty classy IMO and in general if I am looking or showing someone a pin I turn the game on, just saying.

#92 11 years ago
Quoted from YZRider926:

I think the music is fairly well done, but I wouldn't want to listen to it outside of playing the game.

Who would with any pin?!! LOL Besides the obvious music theme pins that is.

#93 11 years ago

Well, now that I've been able to see the HD videos of silent ball movement on WOZ I like it much better than XMen (cancelled by deposit on LE.. wonderful cabinet artwork just didn't transfer to pf/oversized cheap looking toys/cluttered LE layout)
It does look fresh/lighting/artwork are great... like others not sure about theme..
Fortunately, regular WOZ is same feature packed pf so you don't' have to order LE.

#94 11 years ago

The latest update obviously caused a couple more sales in the UK because Pinball Heaven have sold the last 2 ECLEWOZ.

#95 11 years ago

I put done near the end of March 2011. There has been a lot of waiting but always felt like I was updated on the progress and there have been a lot of good surprises along the way.

I still don't get the LCD comments. I like where it is at. From looking at the videos (and the latest from E3), I think it's really cool how the display is split into fourths at certain points to show what objects are needed to be met. I understand people like the artwork of a backglass especially when a game is off. For me the LCD was one of the major reasons I preordered.

#96 11 years ago

No. Next theme not named the Hobbitt, please.

#97 11 years ago
Quoted from pinstor12:

No. Next theme not named the Hobbitt, please.

+1

#98 11 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

i can pick up my TAF and TZ for almost as much as X-men and get to have twice as much fun.

Exactly!

Robert

#99 11 years ago
Quoted from ronlisa:

Hello
There will be an optional cover you can purchase that will allow you to slide a JJP licensed artwork to cover over the lcd area when the machine is off or when you want to take pics and show the pin when power is off. You can "glam" the backbox up that way. It will stand out! even when power is off.
Buddy

#100 11 years ago
Quoted from doughslingers:

Hello
There will be an optional cover you can purchase that will allow you to slide a JJP licensed artwork to cover over the lcd area when the machine is off or when you want to take pics and show the pin when power is off. You can "glam" the backbox up that way. It will stand out! even when power is off.
Buddy

That would really make it look alot nicer when the machine is not powered up. Im sure the LCD is a cool feature to the game play, its just going to take a little of time for me to get use to it being there.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

11,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lancaster, SC
$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 16.95
$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 91.00
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 24.50
There are 103 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-else-thinking-about-throwing-down-on-a-woz-today/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.