(Topic ID: 177248)

Any tricks to removing plunger from a fried coil

By jewboyflowerhead

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

14832371011321311501032 (resized).jpg
    detail (resized).JPG
    #1 7 years ago

The plunger part (515-6057-00) on the ramp lock of my baywatch is trapped by the fried coil. The part appears to be unobtanium. Anybody have any tips on salvaging the plunger or is it hopeless?

Also, anybody have a source for the part or perhaps some sort of rigged up substitute? It appears to be unique to Apollo 13 and Baywatch

#2 7 years ago

detail (resized).JPGdetail (resized).JPG

#3 7 years ago

I've smashed the coil with a hammer to release the plunger.
    I would hope you could figure out a better way, but it worked for me.

#4 7 years ago

I would just take it completely out. Pull the roll pin and work on getting plastic off of plunger shaft. Worst case you could heat it.
    If you cannot get it off find just the metal shaft piece and replace that only. Re-use the roll pin and shoulder....

#5 7 years ago

Punch the plunger out with a 5/16" nutdriver or socket.

#6 7 years ago

The problem is the plunger is all the way in up to the shoulder. And to complicate it further, the bracket is welded to the ramp. I worry that pure blunt force or heat could damage the link piece.

On a related note, whats the safest way to break the weld on the ramp/bracket?

14832371011321311501032 (resized).jpg14832371011321311501032 (resized).jpg

#7 7 years ago

Hammer the shit out of the coil until it falls apart.

#8 7 years ago

Use a wire cutter and cut the wires on the coil and unwind.

#9 7 years ago

I've used a dremel cutoff wheel to score the plastic once the wire has been unwound. You can work at it gradually until the coil can be peeled away from the plunger.

#11 7 years ago

Thanks for the advice! I got it out. Used a tweezer/scissors thingy and cut the coil up little by little. Not the most exciting new years eve. Unfortunately, the link was melted. Guess ill dig through marco specialties website to see if i can find a link I can make work. Not really a sega/stern guy, so these parts are pretty unfamiliar to me. I am open to suggestions

#12 7 years ago

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/545-5490-01

I would think the rest of it would be easily obtainable? the plunger and roll pin.

#13 7 years ago

Duh, it didn't occur to me to search for the individual part rather than the whole link. Thanks for the heads up! Was able to salvage the rest of the link so I should be good to go.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-tricks-to-removing-plunger-from-a-fried-coil and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.