• Hell no, I do not want the hassles 35 votes
    25%
  • I love my rental properties 48 votes
    34%
  • I have been thinking about doing that 28 votes
    20%
  • I used to and called it quits 31 votes
    22%

(Multiple choice - 142 votes by 141 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

7E1755C7-8593-4FA2-92A9-9E2FE625EE32 (resized).jpeg
STFU Donnie (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
6F4F8A2D-CABB-420F-9A7C-D1DF45B82DCF (resized).jpeg
laneway (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider luckymoey.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#54 4 years ago

I've considered buying investment properties for years, but can never make the numbers work vs. keeping the money in a long-term, diversified stock portfolio. The only opportunities seem to be when the housing market takes a real downturn and you have cash on the sidelines, can somehow beat out the pros in buying property that will benefit from planned development in the area, or have the skills/time to do major improvements yourself. Doesn't seem to make sense to accept mid single digit returns given the work and risks involved. Am I missing something, or is your main motivation to be a landlord aversion (or diversification) to the stock market?

#56 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

My main desire is to earn money 3 ways.
But most importantly I have no idea where I could do better with my money.
20k down plus 20k in fix up gets me a 120k house that is worth 200k when I have fixed it up. So 40k plus sweat equity already more than doubles my money.
I am cash positive a minimum of $3600 on the year so that is a 9% gain on my 40k real money investment. Most years that beats the stock market.
Lastly, I take the write offs on taxes.
Best part for me is once a house is completely paid off then it is promised income for the rest of my life with relatively no risk.
(note: I have bought smart in a good city that did not even feel the blip on the radar the last housing downturn and in fact, rents went up even more then. Madison is under 2% vacancy and much of that is due to college kid turn over season which I am not subject to).
In short, other investments will have bad years, but my property should be very stable and in the long term (once paid off) it will make me big money.

I'd definitely be attracted to an opportunity like that, and am willing to put in some sweat equity. Probably tough to find homes that can yield that kind of cash flow and return in my area, but I may try to find a good broker and take a harder look.

#64 4 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

The returns should be much higher than that with a good investment property. How are you doing your calculations? Are you factoring in principal reduction and tax breaks? Long-term appreciation?

Probably just being too conservative in my assumptions about expenses and risks. I have a lot of financial and business experience so have no problem with the variables and calculations. I recently retired at a relatively young age, and am looking for something else to keep busy and get a better yield than current bond rates without taking on a lot of risk. I'm pretty handy, enjoy real estate and understand all the legal/business aspects so property investment seems like a good fit. Will talk to some good realtors and do more research in the new year - too bad you don't live in SC.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider luckymoey.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-landlords-here-please-post-tips-and-stories?tu=luckymoey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.