(Topic ID: 229808)

Any insights on different pinball artist's creation process?

By jonesjb

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Aurich
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

I was listening to the This Week in Pinball Podcast with Christopher Franchi, and Zach asked asked some questions on the art creation process. There was some discussion on where the idea generation, inspirations, and mockups are approached. But the podcast got me thinking about the specifics how different artists go about creating playfield, cabinet and backglass art:

What software do the artists use? Is it just PhotoShop? Or do they create vector forms in Illustrator? or Painter?
    What percentage of the artwork is hand drawn/illustration vs vectors or modified from photographs or traced from existing access?
    Is there a preference for Spot colors or CMYK?
    Is the above consistent? Or do some artists predominantly one way vs another? What examples of pins come to mind?

#2 5 years ago
    Quoted from jonesjb:

I was listening to the This Week in Pinball Podcast with Christopher Franchi, and Zach asked asked some questions on the art creation process. There was some discussion on where the idea generation, inspirations, and mockups are approached. But the podcast got me thinking about the specifics how different artists go about creating playfield, cabinet and backglass art:
    What software do the artists use? Is it just PhotoShop? Or do they create vector forms in Illustrator? or Painter?
    What percentage of the artwork is hand drawn/illustration vs vectors or modified from photographs or traced from existing access?
    Is the above consistent? Or do some artists predominantly one way vs another? What examples of pins come to mind?

Im not certain but Chris Franchi is a natural born Artist not a computer program guy. His art comes from his talent, a pencil, and a brush. No photoshop tricks. What they use to scan his final art with I have no idea but having seen some of his work in person Stern is lucky to have that man on board. Truly changed pinball playfields for Stern in my opinion. And he's a really great guy which is nice to!

#3 5 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

Im not certain but Chris Franchi is a natural born Artist not a computer program guy. His art comes from his talent, a pencil, and a brush. No photoshop tricks. What they use to scan his final art with I have no idea but having seen some of his work in person Stern is lucky to have that man on board. Truly changed pinball playfields for Stern in my opinion. And he's a really great guy which is nice to!

Not really sure. Yes, his work is amazing, and I know Chris did mention PhotoShop on the podcast, so I'm not sure how much of that is tinting and applying effects to the work, vs using photos of the official Beatles merchandise that appears in the game, and treating them to fit the artwork style.

#4 5 years ago
    Quoted from jonesjb:

Going to be a big difference between modern art and older games. These days just about everything is CMYK process color, with a white undercoat. Playfields and plastics are essentially inkjet printed. Certainly still possible to do spot color, but it's an added expense. I'm not aware of any current games that aren't done with CMYK as the base at least.

Everyone has a different process, I can only speak to my personal experience, but for Alien I imported the CAD drawings into Illustrator and used that as my starting base. All of the 'hard line' elements like the inserts were done there too as vector shapes. They were all imported eventually into Photoshop as smart objects so I could edit them later, and the final full color art was a 300dpi TIFF exported from Photoshop. Anything white was 'transparent', the base coat does the white.

The white layer was a vector shape from Illustrator. How Mirco does the printing. So final print is a combination of vector and raster art technically.

I do some things differently if I ever did it again, just to make my life easier going back and forth between Illustrator and Photoshop, but I'd still use both to create the final outputs. My guess is that's pretty common for everyone these days.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-insights-on-different-pinball-artist-s-creation-process and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.