12 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by HHaase
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Think this is a viable idea?”

• Nah, easier to modify my own board. 0 votes
    • Yes, would be worth it for sure 2 votes
      67%
    • Maybe, but don't really care one way or the other 1 vote
      33%

(3 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

#1 12 years ago

Here's the backstory. I'm on a circuit board design kick, and am making up some small diagnostic testing boards for people to use on older machines. Nothing complicated, but useful if you do a lot of repair work.

Now,while I am on this kick, I managed to damage one of those rare PROM chips on my Mom's Firepower. I know I can just modify the board to take a 2732, but I hate doing semi-permanent board modifications...particularly those that require jumper wires.

So I sketched out a design for a plug-in, no solder, no-modification needed conversion board that allows you to use three 2716 EPROMS in place of the three unavailable PROMs.

But I just don't know if this is something people would be interested in.

Thoughts?

#2 12 years ago

I would think that people who own the old system80 boards would love this but, would the plug-in include the needed chips? If not they will have to purchase them from PBR or someone else in order to use it.

#3 12 years ago

When it comes to Gottlieb, you need to buy the chips from PBR either way. IIRC they're the only approved re-seller, and Gottlieb won't allow the ROM files out in the open.

Something worth thinking about though for the future.

-Hans

#4 12 years ago

Took a suggestion, refined the idea, now it's a much smaller board that only takes a single 2764 EPROM and replaces all 6 of the original PROM/EPROM chips.

Fits into the CPU socket.

-Hans

#5 12 years ago

please post any info that will help us build your Eprom adapter

#6 12 years ago

Actually, I'm looking to eventually sell the things if it all works out properly.

-Hans

#7 12 years ago

Will be reviewing the board layout over this weekend, may have a functional prototype end of next week.... maybe.

-Hans

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-thought-for-firepower-pinball-owners and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.