(Topic ID: 350424)

1976 Zaccaria moon flight perfect playfield

By BRONX

3 months ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 months ago

Hello to all pinsiders, I have been reading alot on playfield restorations. Main issue seems to be clear coat vs playfield protectors. Also another debate is automotive clear vs others, dimpling, etc...... I'm curious to what Zaccaria of Italy used back in Italy to clearcoat there playfields. Myn is from 1976, and it's flawless, no dimples, scratches or ball arch. Others I have seen are in the same perfect state. What did Zaccaria do right that everyone else failed?

#2 3 months ago

Italy and Spain manufactures used a special finish on their playfields that wasn’t allowed to be used in the USA. I never found out what it’s called.

#3 3 months ago
    Quoted from pinballdaveh:

Italy and Spain manufactures used a special finish on their playfields that wasn’t allowed to be used in the USA. I never found out what it’s called.

Probably environmentally not friendly, carcinogen, toxic.....all equaling a long last product not safe for use.

#4 3 months ago

Weird because here in North America manufacturers back in the 70s were allowed to use lead, asbestos, formelhyde,etc...
    Currently 3M corp has alot of litigations against them for the invention and use of forever chemicals. And who cannot forget love canal and govt approving homes and schools to be built on the most toxic piece of land probably in the world at the time.

Whatever they used in Europe especially Zaccaria was made to last forever. They didn't cheap out at all. Now if I decide to go through with a restoration, I need to clean entire surface with naptha, then decide on a clear!!! Between the naptha and clear I hope my 3m mask cuts down on all the toxic vapours. I'm assuming doing in my basement is a no-no. I like my basement idea because I can control the dust, temp and humidity. I heard of other bringing playfields to body shops, but then again I hear it still might dimple or cause weird spotty parts on playfield.

I wasent aware the top clear coat that was used in Europe was that toxic? I'm not familiar with all the clear options at that time

#5 3 months ago

I think CaptainNeo has posted about the coating used on Zaccs in the past?

#6 3 months ago
    Quoted from BRONX:

Weird because here in North America manufacturers back in the 70s were allowed to use lead, asbestos, formelhyde,etc...
    Currently 3M corp has alot of litigations against them for the invention and use of forever chemicals. And who cannot forget love canal and govt approving homes and schools to be built on the most toxic piece of land probably in the world at the time.
    Whatever they used in Europe especially Zaccaria was made to last forever. They didn't cheap out at all. Now if I decide to go through with a restoration, I need to clean entire surface with naptha, then decide on a clear!!! Between the naptha and clear I hope my 3m mask cuts down on all the toxic vapours. I'm assuming doing in my basement is a no-no. I like my basement idea because I can control the dust, temp and humidity. I heard of other bringing playfields to body shops, but then again I hear it still might dimple or cause weird spotty parts on playfield.
    I wasn't aware the top clear coat that was used in Europe was that toxic? I'm not familiar with all the clear options at that time

I can't speak for other countries in Europe but here in the UK, automotive clears use an isocynate based hardener, isocyanate having cyanide in it! It can air dry or be force dried the former particularly effective when using a 'fast' hardener. Non- isocyanate hardeners are available and I've used it once but I found it didn't cure as well, i.e it took a good week to be sufficiently hard enough to flat and polish so I've gone back to the tried and tested.
    Of course, you must use protective gear because the fumes can be ingested through bare skin, etc.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1976-zaccaria-moon-flight-perfect-playfield and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.