Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Sonora70
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Im still geting through my first gottlieb. To this point it "seems" as though it is working as it should all except what I thought would be the easiest to figure out. The lites in my back box wont stay on. They come on sporadically then simply go out. When they come on it is typically when the game has been off a while and I first start it up. They stay on about 5 seconds then off. Ive noticed that sometime when a coil such as a pop bumper or ball return coil energize they may flicker. I also noticed that when the backbox lites come on the playboard lites go off. This includes all the lights in the backbox. I figure the problem is somewhere out of the backbox. Any advice? I have a schematic but I cant determing anything by trying to read it. I appreciate any tips you could share.

#2 8 years ago

Start with the easy fix. Check your fuses to make sure they're good and check to make sure the fuse holders are holding the fuses tight. The flickering with a pop bumper activating is suspicious of this.

#3 8 years ago

I'm going to warn you up front it has been many years since I had my head inside an EM. But, as a recall a couple of things you could check would be the fuse holders. Depending on what kind they are they can get loose or corroded. The other thing it the tilt relay. The lights will all run through a switch on the tilt relay so when it is thrown they turn off. Might be a switch that needs cleaned or is just out of adjustment and barely making. Most of the work I did was on Bingo Pinball machines. So, I'm assuming that a flipper pin has a tilt relay as well.

#4 8 years ago

Check that all your connectors to the backbox are firmly seated in their sockets and clean.

#5 8 years ago

I have checked all the fuses...fuse holders are very tight and clean. I have cleaned the jones plugs as well. The part that is confusing me is that they will come on for a few seconds then leave. The other confusing part is that at least once I noticed the lights seemed to alternate, if the playfield lights are on--- the back box lights are off and vice versa, I actually observed it go back and forth. However.....the playfield lights tend to stay on.

This includes all the lights in the back box, general illumination, scoring, player up, match number, etc....They are all staying out except for a few flickers.

#6 8 years ago

I was going to say check fuses as well. My Sweet Hearts started to do this and I replaced the fuse and holder and that sorted it. Must say that they looked ok and didn't seem to be the issue but it was.

#7 8 years ago

Even though connectors/fuses seem ok, give them a press/wiggle and see if you can force them to flicker/come on with gentle pressure at fuse/clips or connectors.

If not, check your schematics and find where ALL the backbox lights get their power and start poking around with a meter, following the path.

#8 8 years ago

If you look on your schematic, on the left side you should see a grouping lights called "Name & Scene Lites" with a bunch of bulbs shown in parallel. That's the general lighting for the backbox. The path forms a basic loop from the transformer, through a (typically) 10A fuse, through those lights, and back. So the only thing in the path is the fuse and a Jones plug.

However, right above or below it, you should also see the "Coin Chute" lights in parallel with them. These are on the same circuit (and fuse), but don't go through the Jones plug (since they're not in the backbox).

If your coin chute lights are working, then that indicates there's power on the circuit and fuse is working OK. If so, then the problem would be with the Jones plug, or the wiring in the backbox. But make sure the coin chute bulbs are good and the sockets clean before concluding they're not working (if they're not).

It's a handy debug/isolation indicator.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

If you look on your schematic, on the left side you should see a grouping lights called "Name & Scene Lites" with a bunch of bulbs shown in parallel. That's the general lighting for the backbox. The path forms a basic loop from the transformer, through a (typically) 10A fuse, through those lights, and back. So the only thing in the path is the fuse and a Jones plug.
However, right above or below it, you should also see the "Coin Chute" lights in parallel with them. These are on the same circuit (and fuse), but don't go through the Jones plug (since they're not in the backbox).
If your coin chute lights are working, then that indicates there's power on the circuit and fuse is working OK. If so, then the problem would be with the Jones plug, or the wiring in the backbox. But make sure the coin chute bulbs are good and the sockets clean before concluding they're not working (if they're not).
It's a handy debug/isolation indicator.

I do recall from last night that the coin chute light (the light on the inside of the coin door next to the coin chute) is not working, it had no bulb in it so I put in a new one but it did not come on.

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from Sonora70:

I do recall from last night that the coin chute light (the light on the inside of the coin door next to the coin chute) is not working, it had no bulb in it so I put in a new one but it did not come on.

If you can't get the coin chute bulb to come on, then I'd revisit the fuse holder. It's amazing how just a very little bit of wiggle room of the fuse in the holder will open up that circuit. You can also try gently wiggling the fuse there and see if the lights come on.

With the game off and the fuse removed, you can squeeze the tabs together a bit more to get a tighter fit.

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

If you can't get the coin chute bulb to come on, then I'd revisit the fuse holder. It's amazing how just a very little bit of wiggle room of the fuse in the holder will open up that circuit. You can also try gently wiggling the fuse there and see if the lights come on.
With the game off and the fuse removed, you can squeeze the tabs together a bit more to get a tighter fit.

Thanks, I'll report back later when I get home with an opportunity to experiment with it.

#12 8 years ago

Corrosion inside the clip could be the culprit as well. Even though the clip is tight, if there's a scrim of corrosion there it can insulate the clip from the fuse's end cap.

#13 8 years ago

Sometimes you can have a fuse itself go intermittent internally. When I suspect that, I simply replace the fuse with a new one.

#14 8 years ago

Fixed! It was the fuse holder. Although the fuse seemed to snap in snug, when I wiggled it the lights flickered off and on. I then unplugged the machine and squeezed the ends of the holders a bit and it seems to be doing fine. Thanks for the help and tips.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1963-gottlieb-swing-along-illumination-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.