(Topic ID: 346567)

Pinball 2000 Themes ~ If it came out today?

By BlackBelt

5 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 66 posts
  • 40 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 68 days ago by spikelou2
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0012 (resized).jpeg
5305B093-6CFF-4F14-85CB-A616A20543D9 (resized).jpeg
sure (resized).JPG
pkture (resized).JPG
DKC (resized).png
There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 5 months ago

Our household has recently become intrigued by Pinball 2000. It's come up in several documentaries about the history of the hobby and after playing RFM on location we wondered what a modern version of PB2K would look like and what themes would lend well to the technology? With modern LCD monitors having a size/weight advantage over the original CRT (CRT from what I understand has much better contrast...I'm sure I'm missing other benefits) it seems like a more compact version of the initial idea could be possible today. SO...what themes would you like to see (or have seen) in a PB2K format? Personally, I thought that 'Donkey Kong Country' would have made for a perfect license at the time based on the 3D-ish graphics, characters/gameplay and overall popularity...today I'd say that some sort of Zombie theme would be cool with zombies coming out of the ground/grave, hitting zombies as they creep closer, that sort of thing.
DKC (resized).pngDKC (resized).png

#2 5 months ago

It failed then & it would fail today. The people have spoken.

#3 5 months ago

Yeah it’s a dumb novelty.

Gets no love from me then or now or in the future.

#4 5 months ago

Lol...solid contributions, thanks for playing along fellas. I hear you both saying 'Grumpy Old Men' is your PB2k dream theme?

#5 5 months ago

Pinball people weren't wild about it. Non pinball people dumped money in it in my location.

P2K did better than expected, didn't matter. They were closing all divisions and going gambling. Goodbye Pinball, Touch Screens, Atari, Midway, etc.

LTG : )

#6 5 months ago

I think it could be interesting to see what could be done with an update to the innards... (I don't necessarily think it would sell well, but it would be interesting to see.)

That being said, I feel like in that regard the P3 is already an extension of the direction P2K could have eventually headed, minus the Pepper's ghost.

#7 5 months ago
Quoted from BlackBelt:

Lol...solid contributions, thanks for playing along fellas. I hear you both saying 'Grumpy Old Men' is your PB2k dream theme?

Problem number one screen animations are repetitive & overly simple. Problem number two it eats up too much space therefore giving you 2/3 of playing field. Some games of done holograms/Pepper's ghost effects but no company today would dare do anything similar to a P2K.

#8 5 months ago
Quoted from BlackBelt:

Our household has recently become intrigued by Pinball 2000. It's come up in several documentaries about the history of the hobby and after playing RFM on location we wondered what a modern version of PB2K would look like and what themes would lend well to the technology? With modern LCD monitors having a size/weight advantage over the original CRT (CRT from what I understand has much better contrast...I'm sure I'm missing other benefits) it seems like a more compact version of the initial idea could be possible today. SO...what themes would you like to see (or have seen) in a PB2K format? Personally, I thought that 'Donkey Kong Country' would have made for a perfect license at the time based on the 3D-ish graphics, characters/gameplay and overall popularity...today I'd say that some sort of Zombie theme would be cool with zombies coming out of the ground/grave, hitting zombies as they creep closer, that sort of thing. [quoted image]

Unless they could do a full featured layout and have some of this tech in it, I think it still flops. The layouts on the OG ones are so so bad.

#9 5 months ago

Oy...I get why it tanked. And why people who were avid players at the time may not have liked it. Was simply trying to have some fun with theme ideas that could lend well to the format. Derp.

#10 5 months ago

Another problem had it continued they were only planning two a year.

It wasn't tied to one playfield level or anything. But I don't think you'd see the evolution like you did in Williams DMD era.

#11 5 months ago

Linolium has been doing really great home brews with the concept for years. I love what he’s done, I think it shows that it can be good with the right themes and execution. Like Haunted Cruise makes sense because there’s ghosts and apparitions. Mass appeal, I don’t know, but I sure have fun playing his games. I think he started off using pinball 2000 hardware but gradually engineered his own custom system, down to designing and manufacturing the boards. Maybe if Lin sees this he’ll share some vids.

#12 5 months ago

I personally love RFM - great game ! No , it’s not as complex as a “full” pin but has a place and I have fun on it . I would’ve like to see the completed Playboy they were gonna do . Some guys are too closed minded - “ either it’s a tournament game or it sucks “ . There’s plenty room for variety in this world and you do t like something just move on instead of crapping on it . Many classic video games would translate well - I really like the DK idea !

#13 5 months ago
Quoted from NevadaNutJob:

I personally love RFM - great game ! No , it’s not as complex as a “full” pin but has a place and I have fun on it . I would’ve like to see the completed Playboy they were gonna do . Some guys are too closed minded - “ either it’s a tournament game or it sucks “ . There’s plenty room for variety in this world and you do t like something just move on instead of crapping on it . Many classic video games would translate well - I really like the DK idea !

I think a lot of 2D and pixel-type video games would have translated well over to the PB2k format. Super Ghouls & Ghosts and Bomberman would both be excellent!

#14 5 months ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

... The layouts on the OG ones are so so bad.

Well SWe1 was just a Popadyke abortion.
RFM was just a straight rip so it wasn't that bad.

Quoted from NevadaNutJob:

...Some guys are too closed minded - “ either it’s a tournament game or it sucks “ . There’s plenty room for variety in this world...

I'm not so sure it wouldn't work today. New peeps, new likes, new being dazzled by lights etc.
The OG problem was it wasn't a variety; they were going to switch to Pin2k

#15 5 months ago
Quoted from BlackBelt:

Oy...I get why it tanked. And why people who were avid players at the time may not have liked it. Was simply trying to have some fun with theme ideas that could lend well to the format. Derp.

Basically anything with ghosts would be cool. So any number of haunting movies, ghostbusters (the new movies are great), etc.

#16 5 months ago

I thought RFM was a really good sequel to the great AFM, so I purchased RFM NIB in 1999. From what I saw back then, I was going to pass on SW:E1 (not the best game), purchase a P2K Playboy, pass on Wizard Blocks, and watch for whatever future P2K titles were released. But when WMS pulled the plug on pinball in late 1999 and we knew there wouldn't be any other B/W games made, I picked up SW:E1 NIB just to have one each of both P2Ks (RFM and SW:E1).

Gomez moved to Stern and finished Playboy in the normal DMD game format and I purchased it NIB in 2002. Even though I have since added a ColorDMD to it, every time I play it I think how much better P2K images would have been than dots on a DMD. But time passed and I stopped thinking about P2K versus DMD after Stern updated to the LCD format in response to JJP's WoZ.

#17 5 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Gets no love from me then or now or in the future.

nothing does !

#18 5 months ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Basically anything with ghosts would be cool. So any number of haunting movies, ghostbusters (the new movies are great), etc.

Ghostbusters would be legit !

#19 5 months ago

I liked Star Wars , but Revenge From Mars was much better. Too bad Wizard Blocks didn't see the light.

#20 5 months ago

Because lcd’s are so thin could this be done under an upper playfield? Like in a cave or in a castle. I gotta think that without the bulk of a crt in the cabinet you could do some crafty things with it.

#21 5 months ago
Quoted from BlackBelt:

And why people who were avid players at the time may not have liked it.

I was like "nice novelty, but can't wait until B/W releases more REAL pinball machines"

Still waiting...

#22 5 months ago

Could you have a Battle the castle type game with the main playfield as the courtyard and the upper playfield as the top of the castle walls and run double holograms, above and below forcing the player to take out targets on two levels.

#23 5 months ago
Quoted from jackd104:

@Linolium has been doing really great home brews with the concept for years. I love what he’s done, I think it shows that it can be good with the right themes and execution. Like Haunted Cruise makes sense because there’s ghosts and apparitions.

You can usually see his work at Pintastic New England. In 2023, he also showed the games at Pinball Expo.
.................David Marston

#24 5 months ago

Isn't Multimorphic P3 the modern version of this, except executed way better? The whole point of Pin2000 was to have a cabinet with interchangeable games and an interactive screen on the playfield.

P3 has interchangeable/modular games and an interactive screen on the playfield, and they figured out how to do it without obscuring all your shots and ruining the game like SWE1 and RFM do.

So... to answer OP's question, it would look like the P3.

#25 5 months ago

JJP used another screen in the backboard of GNR & we all know how that went

#26 5 months ago
Quoted from Electronmagic:

Isn't Multimorphic P3 the modern version of this, except executed way better? The whole point of Pin2000 was to have a cabinet with interchangeable games and an interactive screen on the playfield.
P3 has interchangeable/modular games and an interactive screen on the playfield, and they figured out how to do it without obscuring all your shots and ruining the game like SWE1 and RFM do.
So... to answer OP's question, it would look like the P3.

It's a weak comparison imo because the pin2k has the hologram effect, it was built around that.

#27 5 months ago
Quoted from BlackBelt:

It's come up in several documentaries about the history of the hobby

Love Gomez's "Chris Cornell Grunge hairstyle" in those old documetaries.

#28 5 months ago

It would work much better today with a projector in the head and a special glass over the playfield (more advanced then the one already on p2k). But the amount of money needed to develop and support something like p2k today just isn't really in the industry anymore. I'm surprised it even came out in the first place. The decision to shut the company down was made before the first RFM even rolled down the assembly line. I think it's sad, I have a feeling p2k really could have came into it's own if it was just allowed four or five machines to be developed completely. Would it have saved or stopped the decline of pinball in the early 00s. No, probably not. Would it have maybe softened the landing a little bit. Definitely.

#29 5 months ago

Man… I always thought P2K was rad.

I think a Star Fox game would’ve been fun, or any other sort of “on rails” shooter. Graphically it would fit, and shooting the all “into” the game going after all sorts of creative things.

#30 5 months ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Man… I always thought P2K was rad.
I think a Star Fox game would’ve been fun, or any other sort of “on rails” shooter. Graphically it would fit, and shooting the all “into” the game going after all sorts of creative things.

You’re speaking my language…Star Fox would be epic!!!

#31 5 months ago

Wouldn't a modern day version just be AR?

#32 5 months ago

My oldest son still talks about SWE1 8 years after playing. I have always considered getting one or a RFM because a shorter cab would allow me to fit two pins in my room. However, despite SWE1 being shit talked about all the time, the price is always really high.

#33 5 months ago

I just want them to start what they did not finish. Bring on Monster Bask P2K....

pkture (resized).JPGpkture (resized).JPG
#34 5 months ago

Better photo. Wonder what they had in mind for the playfield.

sure (resized).JPGsure (resized).JPG
#35 5 months ago
Quoted from DavidCPA:

Better photo. Wonder what they had in mind for the playfield.
[quoted image]

Excellent share! No doubt this would have been awesome with a giant monster haunting you in the middle!

#36 5 months ago
Quoted from DavidCPA:

I just want them to start what they did not finish. Bring on Monster Bask P2K....

And Wizard Blocks and Playboy.

#37 5 months ago
Quoted from DavidCPA:

seriously cool post! wow..... what if, huh??

#38 5 months ago

Two of the biggest what ifs. If P2k continued and evolved. And if Capcom lasted the three more years they were given.

LTG : (

#39 5 months ago

Could you imagine P2K WOF?

#40 5 months ago

The idea of Pin 2000 was neat. Maybe if we had got a few good games it would have more respect. Something we will never know. But its fun to think of the possibility what else would of come. Another different pinball is The Pinball Circus also not finished looks good. This makes me wonder if P2k were in the same thought during a idea session. The Revenge From Mars as simple it is a neat effect and fun game. Now for Star Wars Episode I Some liked the game. I had the opportunity to buy it some years ago and passed. I was asked why not quote (sorry the game is as bad as the movie) the person selling said the same thing.

#41 5 months ago

My daughter ( 30’s ) is not a pinballer but when she comes over SW EP1 is her favorite game . It’s not the best but I still like it - you know - variety and all .

#42 5 months ago

Pinball 2000 was definitely an interesting beast. I was drawn to it for the technology aspect, and I think RFMs gameplay is fine. I agree that its quite simplistic in terms of layout and play mechanic compared to even the DMD era stuff at the time. However now its even more jam packed with nostalgia with the Clinton callouts. A game like that does really well in a collection where "non-pinball people" visit.

When I built my Wizard Blocks, it was definitely a fun shooter compared to what was out. It was more akin to the "full featured layout with added P2K sparkle".
When I did the Demolition Man Pinball 2000 conversion, I was able to fix the lighting issues and capitalize on having a full-length playfield and playing experience. I will say, the use of the monitor as a "HUD" with minor video interjections when modes complete or whatever is quite nice. Now, it would be a terrible idea to do this commercially. The market indeed has spoken and manufacturers are more than happy to sell you a "traditional" game without the added risk.

#43 5 months ago

Harry Potter would fit right in .So would Tron and 5th Element .

#44 5 months ago
Quoted from LTG:

And if Capcom lasted the three more years they were given.

we would all be playing KINGPIN and not waiting for a failed remake !

capcom had some great innovations, sad they didn't carry on!

#45 5 months ago

I think wizard blocks would have been fun, too bad it never went to completion.

#46 5 months ago

I think with p2k a supernatural theme would have worked great such as Bettlejuice, nightmare Before Christmas or a horror theme would have been awesome with the hologram could have jumpscares

#47 5 months ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

capcom had some great innovations, sad they didn't carry on!

They were just a little late to the party that had already reached it's peak and was on the way down by then.

I'll repeat it though. Pinball 2000 just wasn't that impressive to seasoned players at the time. At least not to me. They did sell quite a few of them though and I did see casual players drop some coins in them.

#48 5 months ago

What if Williams Electronics got PTCR for the P2K Platform?

#49 5 months ago

I'm not sure it could be a commercial success, no matter what theme.

The playfield is small. It doesn't have ROOM for the gameplay we expect as pinball players.

This was the primary complaint with the Pinball 2000 machines... the shots were too easy to master, leaving all the heavy lifting of making an interesting game have to come from software and that video screen projected over the mechanisms.

Honestly, it would have made a great Elvira platform.

People complain a lot when the gameplay isn't challenging, and I'm not sure you can make the shots challenging with that sized space.

#50 5 months ago
Quoted from PinRetail:

I'm not sure it could be a commercial success, no matter what theme.
The playfield is small. It doesn't have ROOM for the gameplay we expect as pinball players.
This was the primary complaint with the Pinball 2000 machines... the shots were too easy to master, leaving all the heavy lifting of making an interesting game have to come from software and that video screen projected over the mechanisms.
Honestly, it would have made a great Elvira platform.
People complain a lot when the gameplay isn't challenging, and I'm not sure you can make the shots challenging with that sized space.

The increase of price of the PIN2K game to.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, PA
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 85.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/-pinball-2000-if-it-came-out-today- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.